Searching for quality in Thailand

RLAretired

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I agree. I have bought alot of good products on Lazada. I usually cross reference them with reviews on Amazon. Good source for product reviews. I recently bought a nice pair of speakers for my computer. Edifier. Sounds great. About 5,000 baht. Checked out the reviews elsewhere, then bought on Lazada.

I also carry back alot of stuff from the US. Wanted to pair of really good surround speakers for my home stereo. Picked out a pair of PSB (Canadian speakers). Here they were 35,000 baht for the pair. Found a pair of barely used ones for $100 on ebay, and carried them back in my luggage. Same with a Pioneer Elite Blu Ray player. Here it was nearly 30,000 baht. Found one on ebay, for $125. Like new. Carried it back. Do the same with really good tequila, watches, phones, goat cheese, clothing, shoes, and all of my supplements. 

" Do the same with really good tequila, watches, phones, goat cheese, clothing, shoes, and all of my supplements."

Are phones a lot more expensive than in the US?

Have an older US phone, thought I'd eventually get a new dual SIM phone in Thailand.

im 6 feet 2 inches tall, size 11 shoes, 105kg (fit, not fat) and I dont waste my time trying to buy any quality named brands here, ie, adidas, because always NO HAB

yes, can buy training shoes if i am lucky to find, but stupidly expensive, so i dont.

so i just buy crap for working out in.

every time i go to EU I buy enough stuff there to last me a while.

A2Z is ok here for the tee shirts that are ALWAYS on special price at 239 baht, the XXXL size is fine, and they are fine for training.

the electronics and electrical tat that you can buy top floor of most malls, is just that, TAT, but it does the trick for a small while i guess.

52 minutes ago, TG911 said:

it looks like you are non-stop complaining about what posters post ;-))

@TG911  = Ignore list + 1

Thank you.

So easy.

This thread -- about finding quality in Thailand -- has been very useful in another way:  finding quality posters here on Thai Visa.  The method I use to sort 'em out is the ignore list function in the forum software.

2 hours ago, RLAretired said:

Valuable post.  Thank you @tgw for your ideas.

Useful clues for restaurants to avoid.

Very useful strategy.  I do that, too, but didn't quite realize the method until @tgw explained.

Ah, yes, the perpetual problem here.  So many threads about that on this forum already. 

On that point, a brief experience: I went to the USA consulate to renew my passport.  While there used the men's toilet.  Was amazed at the fit and finish: everything aligned, light switch positioned properly, no cracked tiles, perfectly clean, etc.  I've observed similar quality workmanship in 5-star hotels and also airline premium lounges.  So quality workmanship is available here, but the problem is how to find such workers for temporary, "handyman" jobs.  I don't have the answer.

There are many good construction companies in Thailand and really really good architetcs too, on par with high end western construction companies or above.

I can't help you with a single plumber but if you are building a new house and want a lifetime guarantee you can get that from the likes of Thawee Mongkol and co: http://www.thaweemongkol.co.th/

Finding this quality for temporary handyman jobs is near impossible, you are better off hiring a retired german etc plumber in that case to help you out.

It's just not worth it for the really good ones to do small side jobs.

While we talk about  housing, there are high quality furniture stores and kitchen stores etc in Bangkok:

Boundary is nice for Italian furniture, german kitchens etc: http://boundary.co.th/

Chanintr has Bulthaup and other high end german kitchens plus italian furniture/scandinavian etc: https://chanintr.com/brand/bulthaup/

Prepare to pay around 2-4x the price of the same in Europe tho.

A good kitchen can easily run you into a 150k USD budget.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Finding this quality for temporary handyman jobs is near impossible, you are better off hiring a retired german etc plumber in that case to help you out.

Yes, indeed, and thank you for bringing that up. 

Several years ago I wanted a bit of remodeling done and was complaining to a British expat neighbor about difficulties finding good tradesmen for small jobs.  He offered, "I used to work in construction.  I could help you with that.  And I could use a few extra quid right now."  He did excellent work; far better quality than if I'd attempted the project on my own. 

So, now, the problem seems to be how to find and contact more like that -- in both directions.  It is of course illegal to work here without a permit, so best not discuss any details here. 

Edited by RLAretired

32 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

While we talk about  housing, there are high quality furniture stores and kitchen stores etc in Bangkok

I can add to that list http://www.boonthavorn.com/

Similar home improvement products to HomePro and Thai Watsadu, but a notch higher in quality.  Also a small selection of tools of somewhat better quality. 

A somewhat higher level of quality than HomePro and Thai Watsadu.  Much better customer service, too.

At BoonThaVorn I've noticed "design centers" for custom kitchen or other bespoke decorating.  But I have no experience with that.

Edited by RLAretired

23 hours ago, RLAretired said:

Specifically which shops?   Where?

How about telling us where you are or shop. You say I can't get this in Thailand. No maybe cannot get in rural Thailand or where you are. Vitamins and suppliments-----many of the malls such as Central Lad Prao , Future Park , Central Changwatena have  kiosks selling vitamins from USA/Britain such as Puritan Pride, Kirkland ect. Just outside Central Lad Prao there is a mini mall that has a store selling all kinds of vitamins suppliments at discount. There is a drug store in Yingeron market area (BKK) that sells meds, herbal and vitamins at discount.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony125 said:

many of the malls such as Central Lad Prao , Future Park , Central Changwatena have  kiosks selling vitamins from USA/Britain such as Puritan Pride, Kirkland ect.

Thanks for mentioning those kiosks with imported vitamins.  Seem to be more and more like that appearing in the bigger malls.  Likely a good source for quality, imported products (as long as one checks expiration dates).

36 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

So funny, you pretend that quality is important, so are you all driving a German car ?

How important is it to find reliable kitchen appliances or even clothes ?!

RIDICULOUS !

No german car, don't need one in Bangkok at all - german kitchen tho.

Quality is important yes, i don't like to throw money away on subpar quality stuff. 

I wouldn't enjoy listening to a bad hifi system, i wouldn't listen music at all then.

Nor do i enjoy drinking bad gin or alcohol in general, i would prefer a coke instead.

While we are that there's a good amount of good gin bars in BKK recently:

- Just a drink (maybe) in Thong Lor

- Teens of Thailand in Hua Lamphong

- Iron Balls (they do there own gin too) in Ekkamai 

- Junker and Bar in Sathon

- Abar on Marriot in Soi 22

- AR Sutton Engineers in Siam

and even Hair of the Dog has a gin bar on level 2 now in Soi Sukhumvit 33/1

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2019 at 9:23 AM, RLAretired said:

Wrong. I can and always expect to pay the price of quality.

Then just look around the up market areas to shop and you will find good quality products

58 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

While we are that there's a good amount of good gin bars in BKK recently:

So what are the factors that make a gin bar a GOOD gin bar?   Serious question, because I don't drink alcohol and so have no idea.  But your criteria for a quality gin bar likely would be useful in evaluating other kinds of businesses, too.

My only experience in that realm is the lobby lounge at the Intercontinental Hotel.  (A very nice place to meet friends coming in to Bangkok.  Good quality service.)  Is that a "gin bar" or not?  Is it a good gin bar, or not?  If all true, what makes it a good one?

Edited by RLAretired

3 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

So what are the factors that make a gin bar a GOOD gin bar?   Serious question, because I don't drink alcohol and so have no idea.  But your criteria for a quality gin bar likely would be useful in evaluating other kinds of businesses, too.

Start with a catchy name - if it's a gin bar I'd immediately think "Mother's Ruin" (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mother's Ruin).  A spa for pampering men should be called "Mankind", obvs

22 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

My current cheap Thai house up north you enter the bedroom, theres 3 different light switches, all not wired right, and the on suite bathroom switch is the wrong side of the bathroom door.. Its these kind of things that are like a daily reminder that your living surrounded by people who cant see the most simplistic problems. 

Not quite right. It's not that other people can't see these problems, it's that these issues are not problematic for normal, well adjusted people.

They are only problematic to anal retentives such as your good self...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

My only experience in that realm is the lobby lounge at the Intercontinental Hotel.  (A very nice place to meet friends coming in to Bangkok.  Good quality service.)  Is that a "gin bar" or not?  Is it a good gin bar, or not?  If all true, what makes it a good one?

3 things mainly:

1) Gin collection

2) Tonic collection

3) Experienced bar tender also known as Gin Sommelier

Service, Location and design are more subjective but for sure play a role too.

Much like good red wine is paired with good food, good gin is usually paired with good tonic and other additions such as fruits, bitters etc.

Not surprisingly that also means in the world of Gin you have real Sommeliers, much like with Wine.

As you may know Gin is infused with berries and botanicals, there's a fast amount of tonics of all sorts from  indian tonic (classic), mediterranean to Elderflower infused ones. 

Different brands such as Fever tree, Fentiman, lamb & watts or the most famous but somewhat crap called Schweppes.

So for citrus and herbal gins you would use mediterranean tonic for example with a bit of Rosemary or Lemon thyme, Floral gins are paired with Elderflower tonic, Sweet gins with lemon tonics and a slice of lemon.

Most well known pairing is prolly Hendricks Gin, with elderflower tonic and a sliced cucumber (Hendricks trademark imho).

Others also well known ones are Gin Mare from Spain with a sliced orange and mediterranean tonic. 

If you go to some street shack or irish pub you get gilberts Gin from 711 with Schweppes soda which is great to get drunk but tastes imho horrible.

It's really like a good wine bar, cigar bar or whiskey bar, if something is off you will notice it, if the barkeeper has no clue people will not come again.

I never went to intercontinental but good hotels usually have trained bartenders so i wouldn't be surprised if it's a good place for a G&T.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Much like good red wine is paired with good food, good gin is usually paired with good tonic and other additions such as fruits, bitters etc.

Fascinating!  I didn't know any of that.  Thank you @ThomasThBKK for that post.

Now this question:  Are those good quality tonics available in Thailand?  If so, do they sell by the bottle like soda water, or only available in a good gin bar?  I don't know anything other than Schweppes -- perhaps I can "upgrade".

And this is more than just idle curiosity.  So much in Thailand is of such low quality, that I actively seek out finer quality foods and products to counter-balance.