Searching for quality in Thailand

RLAretired

On 8/17/2019 at 1:03 PM, Tayaout said:

Lazada is ok if you buy branded stuff or search for review on google.

It also help sometimes to tick the "local" filter so it keeps only stuff sold in thai store. You get your stuff faster and it remove all the spammy and misleading Chinese junk.

You need to know what you are looking for or sort by the highest priced item then search the same thing at a cheaper price. 

For example I buy Bosh, Makita and Dewalt tools on lazada. Total seems pretty good also for tools. 

I buy Opinel and Victorinox knifes, Zippo lighter, etc. 

I also buy food in bulk like extra virgin and coconut oil, flour, etc. 

you do realize Dewalt is now owned by and made in China, their standards have dropped a real lot

• Like 1

People are writing about bringing in electronics from the US.

What about ordering from Amazon?

Will Amazon ship to Thailand?

If so, does the shipping cost take away the savings from buying in Thailand?

And - do you get hit with tariff charges?

On 8/17/2019 at 12:32 PM, NCC1701A said:

this was one of my biggest culture shocks in the first year here in Thailand.

I came here with nothing but slowly began buying things. I can't believe how much stuff I have thrown out, sometimes after just a few days.

I gave up and just simplified and lowered my expectations. That is why I don't own a house or business here.   

And in the rare event that you do find what you are looking for, the next time you go back, not only will the business be closed, but the entire building will be gone. :clap2:

Ironically, every trip to the USA I bring back USB cellphone chargers and cables, sunglasses, wallets, shoes, underwear.   

You have the right idea. I finally learned to simply lower my expectations for nearly everything I purchase or eat. Less brain damage and fuming.

For important things I take empty luggage back to USA and load it up when I return.

Most everything in Thailand comes from China and is cheap junk although there are exceptions. Thai people buy because the price is low fully knowing that it will be replaced soon. With no savings they have few choices and I get that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

really? I know places that make fabulous, healthy Thai food "on the street" for 30B. Must suck to have nothing to respond to an actual statement of fact other than a trite cliche.

Fabulous I can agree with you but healthy I’m really not sure. I’ve yet to see anyone frying in anything other than palm oil and as for ingredients, how can we really know? I never buy anything “organic “ because I just don’t trust the authenticity.

OP: you didn't specify your location so I'll keep my comments generic.

For power tools, hand tools, garden supplies and hardware I go to ThaiWatsadu. For major electronics and appliances I go to PowerBuy. SGC for building supplies and kitchen/bathroom fixtures and plumbing stuff.

I brought more than enough pants/shirts/underwear/shoes from USA over the first two years so just buy t-shirts here and discard them when they inevitably fall apart. Ironically things like t-shirts are vastly overpriced in America so I avoid those.

I make my own yogurt, bread, and roast peanuts. That makes it easy to eat simply and quickly using local meat, fruit, and veggies. I avoid all the greasy/oily Thai food and gradually increasing my garden size for chemical-free veggies in season. I eat the more simple Thai food here but understand that it must be supplemented (especially protein) to maintain a healthy diet.

Lowering my expectations and living more simply is the key for me being comfortable here.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

People are writing about bringing in electronics from the US.

What about ordering from Amazon?

Will Amazon ship to Thailand?

If so, does the shipping cost take away the savings from buying in Thailand?

And - do you get hit with tariff charges?

I recently bought a phone headset from Amazon and it was delivered in about 10 days, but intact. Amazon prepay the shipping and duty and includes in the price. For electronics it might be a good answer.

I have bought some computer accessories on Lazada but only from the Flagship stores of the manufacturer such as Asus or Anker. I call the manufacturer first to verify the Lazada store is valid before buying though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seajae said:

you do realize Dewalt is now owned by and made in China, their standards have dropped a real lot

Agreed. Many power tool manufacturers have gone over to the dark side in the last decade and their quality has really dropped.

13 hours ago, meand said:

I think the quality to cost ratio is a good two or three to one on the clothes. You can't buy name brands though. Restaurants and service almost the same, getting two to one on the money here i would say. 

Most electronics you get bent over. Hard. Furniture too, but IKea is not so bad. I find Ikea to be expensive though for the crap that it is. 

One of my biggest complaints here is the lack of sales. In the states if you want a phone or a laptop, you wait a few months or until black friday and there will come a time you can get it 30-40% off or more. A little patience goes a long way. Not here, and I hate that. 

I general I agree with you about electronics on sake certain times in America.

But the last few years I found out that such sales are often based on down-level products built specifically for such sales. They are not the same but look the same but have less memory, slower clock speeds, smaller hard drives, etc.

So check carefully before assuming you are getting a huge discount.

On 8/18/2019 at 11:10 AM, TG911 said:

Jeez, let him post that ... it's on topic with quality. I for one enjoyed reading it ... it's something we all experienced. Good for a bit of amusement.

Are you a moderator?

Ironically, it looks like you are non-stop complaining about what posters post ;-))

He asked people not to complain and and whinge.....and what does he do.....!

The biggest problems I have with buying quality in Thailand is regarding tools and clothing - both of which are available with a decent level of quality but as has been said - the prices are far higher than they are in the UK for example.

Counterfeit products are also a big problem.  I've bought 2 pairs of Wrangler jeans in Thailand - both of which wore out very quickly. I bought them at big department stores in an attempt to avoid counterfeiting. I don't know whether they were fake or whether Wrangler make a lower quality product for Asian markets but they were both full of holes far too quickly. I don't buy any clothes in Thailand now.

At the moment I'm not a full time resident so I have the ability to bring things from the UK - I guess I'll have to stock up and buy when I visit the UK when I make the move to Thailand.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 8/19/2019 at 9:55 AM, seajae said:

Like 99% of the stuff. I never said Dewalt is the best but it's still beat all noname Chinese <deleted> tools. I think it's a good compromise between <deleted> and high end product. 

Quality is avaiable here ... surely....but you will pay the price either similar or more then in your home country. With zero aftersales quality service.

Often you are better of to order it by mail and even with the post and duty, on the long term it will cost less then buying from some Thai scammer store aiming to cheat all farangs.