How long are your mice lasting?

Crossy

I try to buy decent quality wireless rodents, mostly Logitech as I like the feel and size.

Anyway, they are lasting about a year before the left-button switches fail, it doesn't actually seem to matter how much use they get, the "work" machine seems to last just as long as the "spare, not used very often" box.

It's an easy and cheap fix of course (10 switches for US0.5 from aliExpress) and I'm getting to be a dab-hand at taking the mouse apart, some can be a bit "interesting" to dismantle (and even more fun to put back together).

Anyone with similar experiences? Anyone else fixing their mice?

And a handy-dandy mouse test here https://www.onlinemictest.com/mouse-test/

Switches here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32723355715.html

Have been using a Logitech M325 mouse for many years now and it will not fail.  On-off no longer works so just leave it on all the time but click and scroll work fine.  Stopped using at one point as was Window update issue from USB chip (and went through four or five wired before returning).  No problems from chip using Windows10.    

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I have never found one that lasts much more than a month. Went back to a wired mouse 2 years ago and its fine. I put up with losing one USB port. 

I am constantly replacing mice and batteries a result of cheap chinese product but I guess you get what you pay for lol only thing is you wind up replacing it many times for a quality product that may no longer be produced.  I had a friend bought  Rockport shoes until they moved the manufacturing to cheap overseas and he said the price was the same and the quality way down but the profit margin up. 

21 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I put up with losing one USB port. 

A 4 port USB hub will get you more available ports.

I connect my lesser used USB devices to the hub... scanner/inkjet printer, laser printer, webcam etc, and keep my USB 3.0 ports available for high speed data transfers to/from external drives.

Sorry Crossy for going a bit off-topic.  :whistling:

My mice are like the Eveready bunny "just keep goin and goin....". It is the wireless keyboards that die an early death -- all Logitech. Two or 3 keys stop functioning and makes the whole thing worthless. I have tried to fix a few following guidance on YouTube, but in each case no joy. One of the Logitech keyboards was still under warranty, but I bought it on Lazada and I couldn't find any place to take it for repair or replacement. I always buy the keyboard/mouse set, so I have lots of spare mice in a bag. I have switched to Rapoo and Melon and absolutely no problems with 3 wireless keyboards or mice after 3+ years. Batteries do not last as long as I would expect, but an easy fix... 

Cant remember the last time I actually changed the mouse, its usually just the battery. I use mine several hours everyday, touch wood, no issues for as long as I can remember, its an "Anitech" looks Korean by the writing on it ????

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/anitech-wireless-mouse-w217-i202762693-s306382634.html?

Logitech M310 or M325 and I'll check out whatever Logi or MSFT is on sale.

Yeah I'm clumsy, heavy-fingered on the buttons, I'll drop them, etc.  I'd guess about 18 months average, and I'll always have a spare.

Used to buy the cheapies, figuring with the way I use them they won't last long anyway, but after a spate of ones that only lasted a few weeks I now go with Logi in the 300b range.  I remember having an MSFT that lasted for quite a while, was a real solid piece of work; I don't know if this is still the case, but they were made by Logi.  Logitech had a factory store in the SiliValley area, had a bunch of OEM stuff.

12 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I had a friend bought  Rockport shoes until they moved the manufacturing to cheap overseas and he said the price was the same and the quality way down but the profit margin up. 

Same thing happened with Clark's shoes.  I wonder if they are now the same company.

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have been using a Logitech M325 mouse for many years now and it will not fail.  On-off no longer works so just leave it on all the time but click and scroll work fine.  Stopped using at one point as was Window update issue from USB chip (and went through four or five wired before returning).  No problems from chip using Windows10.    

I have several of the M325 wireless model.  I like them, as I have small hands.  Haven't had one fail, though the scroll wheel seems to change feel after long use.  And the polymer coating on the wheel can get sticky after years and years.  I never turn them off, and battery life is good. I get them on sale in the USA for about 220-250 Baht.  I've used Logitech mice for the last 25 years or so.

I cant remember having a button/switch fail but with most mice the rubberised finish on the wheel seems to disintegrate after a few years rendering it useless.

For about 8 years I have been using Microsoft Comfort keyboard/mouse combos with the wave-shaped keyboard and have only been replacing them when the rubber dies as mentioned.

microsoft-wireless-comfort-desktop-5000_

I replaced my third a couple of months ago but as the price of the Comfort model had gone from about £30 to about £60+, this time I bought a cheaper Microsoft 900 combo for £20 which seems to be fine so far.

7b5f2888-2fd3-46b3-ac89-bb4d6fc345d0.jpg

For batteries I always use rechargeables which seem to last about 6 months before needing to be charged. I use rechargeables for my air-mouse also, but those only last a couple of weeks before needing to be charged.

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have never found one that lasts much more than a month. Went back to a wired mouse 2 years ago and its fine. I put up with losing one USB port. 

Same. Gave up on wireless in favor of wired. Not so terrible. Wire is out of sight anyway.

16 hours ago, Sophon said:

This one that I saved from our dogs lasted about 15 months:

DSCF0432.thumb.JPG.19237c17db3d9b199f38c10213aaf1f1.JPG

Sophon

From the looks of it, it is a wired mouse, but the plug is missing from the end of the wire (very short wire I might add). Put a new plug on it and it should be up and running (and squeaking) in no time. 

On 8/17/2019 at 2:31 PM, worgeordie said:

Its wireless keyboards for me,the mouse still works,so have an oversupply

of them,RAPOO is the brand.

regards worgeordie

I've been using the Rapoo brand for about a year now on different devices. In my case I use the bluetooth models (mouse only) as I find they connect well and seldom dropout.

Problems I've had before with mice (not very many to be honest) is that the scroll wheel is the first to go and not the buttons.

Archived