Jump to content
BANGKOK
thecyclist

Don Mueang immigration as bad as Suvarnaphumi

Recommended Posts

Arrived on Thursday at 3 pm at Don Mueang Airport (3 months ago arrived on the same flight from Vietnam at the same time and breezed through immigration in 10 minutes. This time it was very different. And it's probably gonna get much worse when the planned Introduction of visa exemption for Chinese and Indians, who are now in a separate VOA queue, takes effect, most likely coinciding with the beginning of the high season. 

IMG_20190815_150232.jpg

IMG_20190815_150230.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

And it's probably gonna get much worse when the planned Introduction of visa exemption for Chinese and Indians

Where did you hear that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you are with your thai wife/gf/friend, you can both/all use the Thai Counter that is usually empty - jfi.

Also Thai elite is currently trying to expand service to DMK.

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Arrived on Thursday at 3 pm at Don Mueang Airport

How long was your wait-time?

 

Some time in the recent past there were some issues at DMK with wait-times of ~ 3 hours, and passengers forced to relieve themselves in line. Welcome to Thailand. Put the diaper on between gate and Immigration.

 

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If you are with your thai wife/gf/friend, you can both/all use the Thai Counter that is usually empty

Don't Thais use an automated kiosk now? Slide passport in, fingerprint, done...no TM6. How would a foreigner pass?

 

 

They clearly don't have enough staff for peak arrival times. It is said that RTP-Imm staff hate working the airport shifts, and that's saying something.

 

After the "Andrew Biggs kerfuffle" last month we were told that great improvements would be made.

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

How long was your wait-time?

 

Some time in the recent past there were some issues at DMK with wait-times of ~ 3 hours, and passengers forced to relieve themselves in line. Welcome to Thailand. Put the diaper on between gate and Immigration.

 

Don't Thais use an automated kiosk now? Slide passport in, fingerprint, done...no TM6. How would a foreigner pass?

 

 

They clearly don't have enough staff for peak arrival times. It is said that RTP-Imm staff hate working the airport shifts, and that's saying something.

 

After the "Andrew Biggs kerfuffle" last month we were told that great improvements would be made.

 

 

 

 

No they have manual desks at DMK airport, i used them last week together with GF. I didn't see automated kiosks there at all but they might have them too.

I also did not have to do fingerprints, they machine was installed but i wasn't prompted, i assume it was out of service - again.

 

The lines at normal gates where equal to the ops photo - i would guess it would have taken at least 30 minutes to go through there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

I left Swampi last Thursday and did not receive my fast track voucher as usual, as the Thai Immigration has withdrawn this privilege for frequent Flyers was said to me by check-in staff.

 

Had to queue with hundreds of chinese visitors and was close to getting balistic.

 

Now checking the Internet I found various companies still offering that fast track Service - I wrote to them and wait for the replies.

 

It is unbelievable that Thai Immigration just can withdraw that privilege because they are incapable in finding another solution to solve their Problem.

 

What is next? When a bank was robbed do they close all banks to avoid bank robberies in the future?

i tried to use limousine.co.th at DMK last week, but DMK is greyed out there now - swampy was still an option available tho

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

I left Swampi last Thursday and did not receive my fast track voucher as usual, as the Thai Immigration has withdrawn this privilege for frequent Flyers was said to me by check-in staff.

 

Had to queue with hundreds of chinese visitors and was close to getting balistic.

 

Now checking the Internet I found various companies still offering that fast track Service - I wrote to them and wait for the replies.

 

It is unbelievable that Thai Immigration just can withdraw that privilege because they are incapable in finding another solution to solve their Problem.

 

What is next? When a bank was robbed do they close all banks to avoid bank robberies in the future?

Actually, departing has never been a problem for me, whether Don Mueang or Suvarnaphumi :usually takes somewhere from just a few minutes to 15 minutes max. It's arriving that can be a hassle :It was over an hour on Thursday, which is just too much, especially considering that half the counters were unmanned.

The Thai section of course was a breeze. Even the VOA queues were rather short. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a one year extension of the fee exemption for visas on arrival not visa exempt entries. They will still be going through the process of applying for the visa on arrival.

Thailand’s Ministry of Tourism and Sports will propose, to the economic cabinet meeting on Friday, a waiver of visa fees for tourists from China and India, who plan to stay in Thailand for not more than 15 days. It is proposed the waiver would start on November 1st and last for 12 months.

You are absolutely right Ubonjoe :As it doesn't affect me, I probably only glanced through it and misinterpreted the article.

Why they don't include at least the Chinese in the 30 day exemption is beyond me though, considering that they are the major tourism cash cow now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prince77 said:

What is next? When a bank was robbed do they close all banks to avoid bank robberies in the future?

Shh....  making suggestions like this might become reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

Actually, departing has never been a problem for me, whether Don Mueang or Suvarnaphumi :usually takes somewhere from just a few minutes to 15 minutes max. It's arriving that can be a hassle :It was over an hour on Thursday, which is just too much, especially considering that half the counters were unmanned.

The Thai section of course was a breeze. Even the VOA queues were rather short. 

I havent entered international at DMK since before Swampy was built and hope I wont need to do it on this trip, but I probably will 😞

 

Of course I look at it this way, like on a trip to Cambo:

1 hour to PP airport

2 hours in airport leaaving

1 hour flight

3 hours Immi at DMK

1 hour to home

 

Total 7 hours

vs

 

4 plus hours drive to Khlong Yai  from PP 

3 hours crossing border then getting to Trat

5 hour bus to BKK

1 hour home

 

13 hours. Even assuming I get to Trat in time to catch a bus.

 

Planes and lines vs TukTuks and Busses. I carry a piss bottle thank god.

 

I think a lot of folks who bitch and whinge about things never consider the alternatives

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I havent entered international at DMK since before Swampy was built and hope I wont need to do it on this trip, but I probably will
 
Of course I look at it this way, like on a trip to Cambo:
1 hour to PP airport
2 hours in airport leaaving
1 hour flight
3 hours Immi at DMK
1 hour to home
 
Total 7 hours
vs
 
4 plus hours drive to Khlong Yai  from PP 
3 hours crossing border then getting to Trat
5 hour bus to BKK
1 hour home
 
13 hours. Even assuming I get to Trat in time to catch a bus.
 
Planes and lines vs TukTuks and Busses. I carry a piss bottle thank god.
 
I think a lot of folks who bitch and whinge about things never consider the alternatives
Used DMK 2 weeks ago to go to maledives and back to dmk last week, was a breeze both ways. Faster than swampy even tho i got fast track there. 20-30 minutes in/out on both ways.

On the way to maledives which was a 9 30 am flight, whole airport was empty... No one at immigration counter in front, security xray nearly no line.

Return was fast too with using the thai counter, waiting for luggage was rhe only thing holding us back

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a one year extension of the fee exemption for visas on arrival not visa exempt entries. They will still be going through the process of applying for the visa on arrival.

Is that correct?

 

This Nation article seems to suggest the request from the Tourism Minister is for 15 day visa exempt for nationals of India and China, rather than merely a waiver of fees.

 

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30374790

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Is that correct?

 

This Nation article seems to suggest the request from the Tourism Minister is for 15 day visa exempt for nationals of India and China, rather than merely a waiver of fees.

 

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30374790

 

 

 

would be hilarious, so might totally happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...