Don Mueang immigration as bad as Suvarnaphumi

Arrived on Thursday at 3 pm at Don Mueang Airport (3 months ago arrived on the same flight from Vietnam at the same time and breezed through immigration in 10 minutes. This time it was very different. And it's probably gonna get much worse when the planned Introduction of visa exemption for Chinese and Indians, who are now in a separate VOA queue, takes effect, most likely coinciding with the beginning of the high season. 

IMG_20190815_150232.jpg

IMG_20190815_150230.jpg

3 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Arrived on Thursday at 3 pm at Don Mueang Airport

How long was your wait-time?

Some time in the recent past there were some issues at DMK with wait-times of ~ 3 hours, and passengers forced to relieve themselves in line. Welcome to Thailand. Put the diaper on between gate and Immigration.

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If you are with your thai wife/gf/friend, you can both/all use the Thai Counter that is usually empty

Don't Thais use an automated kiosk now? Slide passport in, fingerprint, done...no TM6. How would a foreigner pass?

They clearly don't have enough staff for peak arrival times. It is said that RTP-Imm staff hate working the airport shifts, and that's saying something.

After the "Andrew Biggs kerfuffle" last month we were told that great improvements would be made.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

How long was your wait-time?

Some time in the recent past there were some issues at DMK with wait-times of ~ 3 hours, and passengers forced to relieve themselves in line. Welcome to Thailand. Put the diaper on between gate and Immigration.

Don't Thais use an automated kiosk now? Slide passport in, fingerprint, done...no TM6. How would a foreigner pass?

They clearly don't have enough staff for peak arrival times. It is said that RTP-Imm staff hate working the airport shifts, and that's saying something.

After the "Andrew Biggs kerfuffle" last month we were told that great improvements would be made.

No they have manual desks at DMK airport, i used them last week together with GF. I didn't see automated kiosks there at all but they might have them too.

I also did not have to do fingerprints, they machine was installed but i wasn't prompted, i assume it was out of service - again.

The lines at normal gates where equal to the ops photo - i would guess it would have taken at least 30 minutes to go through there.

30 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

I left Swampi last Thursday and did not receive my fast track voucher as usual, as the Thai Immigration has withdrawn this privilege for frequent Flyers was said to me by check-in staff.

Had to queue with hundreds of chinese visitors and was close to getting balistic.

Now checking the Internet I found various companies still offering that fast track Service - I wrote to them and wait for the replies.

It is unbelievable that Thai Immigration just can withdraw that privilege because they are incapable in finding another solution to solve their Problem.

What is next? When a bank was robbed do they close all banks to avoid bank robberies in the future?

i tried to use limousine.co.th at DMK last week, but DMK is greyed out there now - swampy was still an option available tho

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

I left Swampi last Thursday and did not receive my fast track voucher as usual, as the Thai Immigration has withdrawn this privilege for frequent Flyers was said to me by check-in staff.

Had to queue with hundreds of chinese visitors and was close to getting balistic.

Now checking the Internet I found various companies still offering that fast track Service - I wrote to them and wait for the replies.

It is unbelievable that Thai Immigration just can withdraw that privilege because they are incapable in finding another solution to solve their Problem.

What is next? When a bank was robbed do they close all banks to avoid bank robberies in the future?

Actually, departing has never been a problem for me, whether Don Mueang or Suvarnaphumi :usually takes somewhere from just a few minutes to 15 minutes max. It's arriving that can be a hassle :It was over an hour on Thursday, which is just too much, especially considering that half the counters were unmanned.

The Thai section of course was a breeze. Even the VOA queues were rather short. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a one year extension of the fee exemption for visas on arrival not visa exempt entries. They will still be going through the process of applying for the visa on arrival.

Thailand’s Ministry of Tourism and Sports will propose, to the economic cabinet meeting on Friday, a waiver of visa fees for tourists from China and India, who plan to stay in Thailand for not more than 15 days. It is proposed the waiver would start on November 1st and last for 12 months.

You are absolutely right Ubonjoe :As it doesn't affect me, I probably only glanced through it and misinterpreted the article.

Why they don't include at least the Chinese in the 30 day exemption is beyond me though, considering that they are the major tourism cash cow now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

Actually, departing has never been a problem for me, whether Don Mueang or Suvarnaphumi :usually takes somewhere from just a few minutes to 15 minutes max. It's arriving that can be a hassle :It was over an hour on Thursday, which is just too much, especially considering that half the counters were unmanned.

The Thai section of course was a breeze. Even the VOA queues were rather short. 

I havent entered international at DMK since before Swampy was built and hope I wont need to do it on this trip, but I probably will ????

Of course I look at it this way, like on a trip to Cambo:

1 hour to PP airport

2 hours in airport leaaving

1 hour flight

3 hours Immi at DMK

1 hour to home

Total 7 hours

vs

4 plus hours drive to Khlong Yai  from PP 

3 hours crossing border then getting to Trat

5 hour bus to BKK

1 hour home

13 hours. Even assuming I get to Trat in time to catch a bus.

Planes and lines vs TukTuks and Busses. I carry a piss bottle thank god.

I think a lot of folks who bitch and whinge about things never consider the alternatives

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

I havent entered international at DMK since before Swampy was built and hope I wont need to do it on this trip, but I probably will [emoji20]

1 hour to PP airport
1 hour flight
3 hours Immi at DMK
1 hour to home

Total 7 hours
vs

5 hour bus to BKK
1 hour home

I think a lot of folks who bitch and whinge about things never consider the alternatives
Used DMK 2 weeks ago to go to maledives and back to dmk last week, was a breeze both ways. Faster than swampy even tho i got fast track there. 20-30 minutes in/out on both ways.

On the way to maledives which was a 9 30 am flight, whole airport was empty... No one at immigration counter in front, security xray nearly no line.

Return was fast too with using the thai counter, waiting for luggage was rhe only thing holding us back

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a one year extension of the fee exemption for visas on arrival not visa exempt entries. They will still be going through the process of applying for the visa on arrival.

Is that correct?

This Nation article seems to suggest the request from the Tourism Minister is for 15 day visa exempt for nationals of India and China, rather than merely a waiver of fees.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30374790

I agree that Thai immigration at airports is a problem. I often pity foreigners who have to stay on these long lines.

However, my family (Thai) recently travelled to London in business class. At British immigration, it took them over 2 hours to pass with no fast track. The IO told them it's not uncommon for non westerners to wait this long as they have to do more background checks.

All things considered, Bkk immigration is not working at its best but neither are all other countries (found myself in this situation in Europe a few times waiting 2 hours + in the past).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Prince77 said:

I flew in on Cathay Pacific business class and they didn't hand out the Fast Track tickets, so I ask the flight attendant and she told me that all I had to do was to show my boarding pass. I was travelling with my wife and used the Thai Line, so I didn't get a chance to give it a try.

19 hours ago, elviajero said:

Where did you hear that?

If you were to read The Thai Visa 

19 hours ago, elviajero said:

Where did you hear that?

If you were to read the thaivisa Nation regularly you would have seen the article on it.

Edited by Percy P

At DMK the trick is to use the far left counter, passing the Thai E-Gates. 90% just stop at the beginning. On the far left they also move groups of 20-30 to the VOA, if that counter is empty. I never had to wait more than 15min compared to the +45min annoyance at the right part of the immigration.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MsBom said:

However, my family (Thai) recently travelled to London in business class. At British immigration, it took them over 2 hours to pass with no fast track. The IO told them it's not uncommon for non westerners to wait this long as they have to do more background checks.

There certainly is a Fast Track for business class travellers at LHR, where I assume you mean, there's also one at LGW.
Whilst the Fast Track often has a queue, I've never known passengers in that line having to wait for anything like two hours for an initial examination by a Border Force Officer, though if the officer needed to carry out further checks on the passenger and their entry clearance that wouldn't be done whilst waiting in line at the Border.

• Thanks 1

When they arrived in London and showed their tickets they were told to go in the non EU line (I don't know the exact name of the line as I wasn't there. They asked if they had a fast track because of business class but the lady said unfortunately no. Maybe not for some countries I guess? They said the queue was long but it took really long because it took a while for each passenger to get through IOs.

I landed in Paris 5 years ago in business class and same thing, when looked at my passport and ticket they just directed me to the lane for non EU or something and I waited over 2 hours to pass.

It's not that easy for Thais to travel to western countries. But I share everyone's frustration for Bkk immigration, they should have more staff considering the amount of foreigners coming through.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

At DMK the trick is to use the far left counter, passing the Thai E-Gates. 90% just stop at the beginning. On the far left they also move groups of 20-30 to the VOA, if that counter is empty. I never had to wait more than 15min compared to the +45min annoyance at the right part of the immigration.

Great, now these times are over since you revealed the secret ????

Edited by Mak25

4 hours ago, MsBom said:

When they arrived in London and showed their tickets they were told to go in the non EU line (I don't know the exact name of the line as I wasn't there. They asked if they had a fast track because of business class but the lady said unfortunately no. Maybe not for some countries I guess? They said the queue was long but it took really long because it took a while for each passenger to get through IOs.

I landed in Paris 5 years ago in business class and same thing, when looked at my passport and ticket they just directed me to the lane for non EU or something and I waited over 2 hours to pass.

It's not that easy for Thais to travel to western countries. But I share everyone's frustration for Bkk immigration, they should have more staff considering the amount of foreigners coming through.

You say London, which airport?

Invitatation to Fast Track is by invitation only and invitations are handed to eligible passengers by the carriers who buy them from the airport authority. Non UKBF staff direct those with invitations to the appropriate fast track lane, if your carrier doesn't give you one, you cannot access the lane, even with a Business Class ticket.

I travelled with Thai into London last month in J Class as was given an invitation, though the invitation advised me that UK Nationals shouldn't use fast track but go through the EU Lane, I nevertheless went through the fast track and was through in minutes without a problem, likewise my Thai wife and I travelled in J a couple of months previously, were both given fast track invitations and through in moments.
As for flying into Paris in Business five years ago, it depends if your carrier gave you an invitation, no invitation no fast track, though I'm not sure there if is a fast track in Paris.

22 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I havent entered international at DMK since before Swampy was built and hope I wont need to do it on this trip, but I probably will ????

1 hour to PP airport

1 hour flight

3 hours Immi at DMK

1 hour to home

Total 7 hours

vs

5 hour bus to BKK

1 hour home

At least planes don't drop from the sky but speeding minivans run off the road frequently.. I'd prefer not to be using funeral insurance, even though I'd only be there in body and not in soul.. You only live life once.. 

You say London, which airport?
Invitatation to Fast Track is by invitation only and invitations are handed to eligible passengers by the carriers who buy them from the airport authority. Non UKBF staff direct those with invitations to the appropriate fast track lane, if your carrier doesn't give you one, you cannot access the lane, even with a Business Class ticket.
I travelled with Thai into London last month in J Class as was given an invitation, though the invitation advised me that UK Nationals shouldn't use fast track but go through the EU Lane, I nevertheless went through the fast track and was through in minutes without a problem, likewise my Thai wife and I travelled in J a couple of months previously, were both given fast track invitations and through in moments.
As for flying into Paris in Business five years ago, it depends if your carrier gave you an invitation, no invitation no fast track, though I'm not sure there if is a fast track in Paris.

I understand all you say, my family flew business with Thai airways into LHR. They just had to go through non EU lane it took them over 2 hours. I am not debating that there is a fast track, they just didn't get it somehow. Maybe the fact that your wife is married to you helped, I honestly don't know. I'm just happy she got through fast.

Also, my point was to say that non EU lanes in Europe can be as long as in Bkk.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Avoid both Bangkok international terminals if possible.  Flying out is okay, but in is awful. 

Many times at Swampy I have passed through immigration control well ahead of my bags arriving on the carousel.  I can only remember one time when the line was down the ramp and around the corner in five years of arriving monthly. Bangkok airways have stopped issuing fast track cards for premium members unless travelling business class.  Unfortunately the route I take does not have business class available. This is a result of airport policy not the airline. 

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 3:54 PM, elviajero said:

And it's probably gonna get much worse when the planned Introduction of visa exemption for Chinese and Indians

It was on the forum this past week... and probably both airports. I’ve flown in from China to both airports.. BKK extremely long wait.. it was like 3 hrs on New Year’s Eve year before last at BKK..

and bagage got damaged ...

went to do the claim all the staff having a good  ew Years.. the airline I used miles from China it was business class (no first) only 3 or 4 of us. One

of the flight deck came out and smoked a cigarette and I wa well not flying this one again..even if only like $10 

Edited by DJ54
Add