French name Théo in Thai

Tchooptip

Hello every one,

Someone asked how to write the  French name Théo in thai. Not hearing the h, the é is short, the o is short.

someone proposed: เทโอ 

me I proposed เทะหโอ 

am I wrong? 

Thank for your answers.

54 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

my 7yo daughter listened to this clip and wrote ติว. My wife will be home soon I'll ask her.

EDIT; my wife wroteç. Probably more accurate.

Me lately I wrote it also wit ว  but like that เทว seems not bad too 

Thanks for answering????

• 1 month later...

เทว is the same vowel combination as เลว (bad).

Assuming that the clip is correct  the tone is second (falling). However the tone is for the individual to choose and try not change when speaking Thai. 

I chose the representation of my name myself, ‘correctness’ doesn’t apply because it has become my Thai name

6 hours ago, Chaam local said:

The pronunciation in the clip is wrong. In the clip it sounds like "tew", which is why it was transcribed as ติ้ว, but the French name is definitely เทโอ.

If you feel strongly about it you could tell www.PronounceNames.com. that they are wrong. They need feedback in order create a database. 

เทโอ is tay+ owe, Does French have th, like the English and Spanish? Thai does not of course so the closest to English “Thee owe” would be ทิโอ .  

Using "ติ้ว" is the closest to the sound in the video, except the "e" is not "long" (sound). Using "อี" gives the long (sound) "e", but also makes it long in duration, which is not what is desired. So "ตีอยุ่" is not right either. The use of "โอ" is, which is a long (sound) "o" does not match the video at all. The use of "เ" simply does not make sense, in my opinion. So, all said, I think "ติ้ว" comes closest to the sound in the video.

There can't be a 100% answer, because Thai just doesn't have such a short o.

ติ้ว is quite close, but obviously lacking an o. The missing o is imho not the problem, the bigger problem is that everybody who reads this will assume the name of the person is "Dew", probably nobody would consider the name "Theo" upon reading it in Thai.

I would suggest ติโอ (the o sound is too long, this would be more equivalent to "Theoh"), this does at least make it possible to conclude that your actual name is Theo, and it sounds somehow as in the video

On 9/20/2019 at 4:40 PM, Chaam local said:

The pronunciation in the clip is wrong. In the clip it sounds like "tew", which is why it was transcribed as ติ้ว, but the French name is definitely เทโอ.

i second this

the others are all wrong, very wrong.  The video is horribly wrong.

Theoh  is how the name should sound.   TÉ-O.. Listen to how a french person pronounces THÉ(tea) and EAU(water)

THÉ-EAU

• 2 weeks later...

Seem to be 3 variants on Google:
ทีโอ วอลคอตต์ Theo Walcott (footballer)
https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/ทีโอ_วอลคอตต์
เตโอ ยันเซิน Theo Jansen (Dutch Artist)
https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/เตโอ_ยันเซิน
ธีโอ เอร์นานเดซ Theo Hernandez (Footballer)
http://www.livesoccer888.com/serie-a/teams/AC-Milan/Players/Theo-Hernandez

Archived