Pattaya to Udon for 1 day, TM30 needed?

My hotel is Top Mansion, I called them to ask about this but the desk girl got confused and hung up. If staying for 1 night will I need to submit a TM30? My home province as a non-resident is Chon Buri (pattaya). I'll be going to Laos and staying in Udon Thani 1 day before heading back to Pattaya.

What I read indicated I need to submit 2 TM30's, one in Udon and one in Pattaya, just regarding the single day at Top Mansion in Udon. Seems like overkill but with TM30 one shouldn't assume anything. I'll probably do whatever is safest, within reasonable bounds.

FYI, My landlord submits TM30 for me at my long term unit.

You will not need to do one in Udon since it will be the hotels responsibility to do it.

Not sure whether immigration in Pattaya will want a TM30 form or not.

At some offices the hotel doing a report and you leaving and re entering the county would cause you to do a new TM30 form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not need to do one in Udon since it will be the hotels responsibility to do it.

At some offices the hotel doing a report and you leaving and re entering the county would cause you to do a new TM30 form.

About 1.5 years ago my landlord told me he got a 2,000 baht fine for not "submitting this new form" for all the foreigners at his guesthouse. Now I alert him each time I come back and he does it right away, so no worries at my long term place.

It's the 24 hour requirement that puts everything on edge for me. I guess I'm not alone there.

Edited by Hal65

I have read more into this and there is a thin line where I may be on the hook:

1) I stay more than 24 hours out of province AND

2) The hotel fails to submit the TM30

Then the responsibility to file the TM30 falls on me, right?

I think I'll be ok due to staying 1 day at a time regardless. On day 1, I will fly into Udon at 3pm, check in at 3:30pm and check out at 7am which is not 24 hours.

On the return from Laos I will cross the border around 4pm, check into hotel at 4:30pm and check out at 2pm the next day for a 3pm flight out. So on day 2 I barely escape 24 hours as well.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There's really no 24 hour out of province rule for TM30 reporting. That is a mix up with a different section of the immigration act.

If the hotel does not not file a TM30 form immigration will never know you stayed in one.

The most likely reason you will need to file a TM30 form is the for leaving and re-entering the country since there will be stamps in your passport showing it.

Good to know. If the hotel fails to file I think my landlord will appear to have filed on day 2 (hours 24 to 48) of me returning to Thailand. Does the 24 hour rule apply here and potentially snag him for a late reporting fine?

5 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Good to know. If the hotel fails to file I think my landlord will appear to have filed on day 2 (hours 24 to 48) of me returning to Thailand. Does the 24 hour rule apply here and potentially snag him for a late reporting fine?

The 24 hours after your return to your residence comes into play then. But of course immigration would not know when your arrived at your residence other than what is put on the TM30.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hal65 said:

You are not really going to know if your hotel actually files or not. Just assume they will file. You shouldn’t care whether they file or not. When you get home file within 24 hours of when you say you returned. Immigration will be happy with you. Do what you are supposed to do and don’t worry about the hotel. 

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dsj said:

1 question, I live in Bangkok and say I stay in a hotel in Bangkok about 3 kms from my place, same province, would I need to a new TM.30 even though I haven't left the province?

If the hotel reported your stay you would be expected to do a TM30 report.

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

Doesn't the form reference leaving the province of your residence for more than 24 hours?

The TM30 form says nothing about that.

There has been a mix up between section 37 for a change of address using a TM28 form and section 38 using a TM30 form to report your stay at a residence.

• Like 2

I have never had an issue with any question about a transit stay in a hotel when  arriving back in Thailand. The Hotel (I assume) submits my details for that stay which often is  for  2 nights at least. More than 24 hours. On the arrival slip I always put  my  home residence address. Until recently I dismissed the TM30 requirement. If the  Immigration systems are now integrated it would not take much effort for an officious IO to look for any non compliance but I firmly believe that would  be a rare event unless something/ someone gave  cause to.

When asked my IO who processed my last TM30 confirmed that any exit and re entry required a new TM30 but for internal Thailand trips "just give  us a call when you get back home". Have not had any occasion to test that in the last  6 months so not sure to trust it. Besides which always stay with wifes's relatives  who  never want to know about any requirement anyway. And if in a Hotel my wife registers  us in her name.

In practical terms the TM30 does not really achieve  the intent but I doubt it will be discarded regardless of petitions etc.  

• Like 1

I just went down to Pattaya for four nights, a TM30 was filed at Jomtien and the receipt of notification was stapled in my passport and the previous copy was removed. This morning I thought I better drive (180kms round trip) to Nong Khai immigration because I arrived home 9.00pm last night. Went in with the wife blue book and passport in hand and said I had just returned from Pattaya. The immigration officer proceeded to chat with my wife whilst the IO herself filled out the TM30 for us, she then handed me my passport back with the new receipt stapled in and left the Jomtien copy in my passport. 

I asked the IO in English if I now needed to report when I returned home from an overnight stay in another province and I was told yes as if I stayed in an hotel, the hotel would have filed for me and that I had to notify my return within 24 hours.

My wife had a bit of chat in Thai with the same IO and on the drive back home said that the IO told her I didn’t need to bother in the future to file my return because they already have my home address, she also said the TM30 receipt from Jomtien was left in my passport so I could show police if stopped in Pattaya in the future that I have lodged a TM30 with a Pattaya address.

Really none the wiser and a bit confused as previously I was told by NK immigration I only needed to do a TM30 if I leave the country and on my return have to file within 24 hours.

3 minutes ago, Brer said:

I just went down to Pattaya for four nights, a TM30 was filed at Jomtien and the receipt of notification was stapled in my passport and the previous copy was removed. This morning I thought I better drive (180kms round trip) to Nong Khai immigration because I arrived home 9.00pm last night. Went in with the wife blue book and passport in hand and said I had just returned from Pattaya. The immigration officer proceeded to chat with my wife whilst the IO herself filled out the TM30 for us, she then handed me my passport back with the new receipt stapled in and left the Jomtien copy in my passport. 

I asked the IO in English if I now needed to report when I returned home from an overnight stay in another province and I was told yes as if I stayed in an hotel, the hotel would have filed for me and that I had to notify my return within 24 hours.

My wife had a bit of chat in Thai with the same IO and on the drive back home said that the IO told her I didn’t need to bother in the future to file my return because they already have my home address, she also said the TM30 receipt from Jomtien was left in my passport so I could show police if stopped in Pattaya in the future that I have lodged a TM30 with a Pattaya address.

Really none the wiser and a bit confused as previously I was told by NK immigration I only needed to do a TM30 if I leave the country and on my return have to file within 24 hours.

That's just typical of the confusion this whole issue is causing.

Next time I do an overnighter I'll conveniently "forget" my passport when I get to the hotel and see what they say.

On 8/17/2019 at 11:31 PM, Martyp said:

You are not really going to know if your hotel actually files or not. Just assume they will file. You shouldn’t care whether they file or not. When you get home file within 24 hours of when you say you returned. Immigration will be happy with you. Do what you are supposed to do and don’t worry about the hotel. 

He will actually know. If they copy his passport, then they will most likely notify, and to play it safe he should do a TM30. If they don't, then he will still know as the hotel has not reported.  I went to my district Imm Office today to ask about out-of-province travel, and their response was even though CM do not currently require TM30 on your return for out of province travel, I was advised that if the hotel copies my passport or pink ID card or drivers license then I should assume ( not make an ass out of u and me ) that the hotel will report and to be on the safe side have a TM30 submitted upon my return to my permanent residence.  In this case I'm lucky as we have an Imm Office here in our district and only need to go to CM annually for the extension of stay.

On 8/17/2019 at 5:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

In March,one of the highest ranked imm.officers at Jomtien Immigration went on radio (local english station).

He emphasized that we don't have to submit a TM30 when coming back to Pattaya after leaving the province. Just wait for next 90 days report. I don't have a clue if they changed their mind since then.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 6:06 PM, Hal65 said:

There's an easier way. Just ask Immigration in Jomtien. You'll have the answer in 2 min. Personally I think they will say no. 

• Like 1

The safest way and easiest way of all is that once you are registered for online TM30 reporting, you do it every time you stay somewhere else and when you return.  However, if you are staying at a hotel, its their responsibility to register you.  Its doubtful that you will need to go to an immigration office for anything whilst you're in Udon so if the hotel doesn't register you that's not your problem and I doubt you'll be in a situation where TM30 is checked on.

In your case I would insist that the hotel does register you - if they don't ask for your passport and TM6 arrival card number, they haven't registered you.  When you arrive back in Pattaya, if your landlord is still doing your TM30, make sure he does it within 24 hours.

Edit: I could simply change what I've posted but I think its important to leave it in because some people are under the impression (inc immigration officers and me for a while) that once you have registered online you can register anywhere - you can't. With online reporting can only register at an address that is registered and for which you have the username and password for. So when I say 'do it everytime you stay elsewhere' bear that in mind.

Technically, you should be registering TM28 when you stay in another provice but they don't seem to be enforcing that.....................................................YET.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:27 AM, Thailand J said:

I have stopped refiling TM30 at Jomtein after a trip anywhere...because they told me repeatedly with a retirement extension and coming back to the same address, i did not have to refile.

Jomtien are making their own rules up and if it was me, I wouldn't rely on that statement unless they put it in writing.  I can see a situation where either they change their mind or you are checked elsewhere. If you had originally stayed at your permanent residence, registered there, then later stayed at a hotel elsewhere, providing that hotel registered you, that cancels your home registration so if you don't register again when you return home, you are in breech. When you go for your next extension you will not be showing as registered anywhere - did you ask Jomtien about that?

Best way, do it yourself. whenever you stay elsewhere (but see the bold above), whenever you return home and whenever you return to the country - no matter what your local immigration say - they won't be paying your fine.

Edited by KhaoYai

8 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

He will actually know. If they copy his passport, then they will most likely notify, and to play it safe he should do a TM30. If they don't, then he will still know as the hotel has not reported

That's not enough, many hotels take a copy of your passport for security reasons - it doesn't guarantee they're going to register you. If the hotel doesn't also get the TM6 arrival card number, they can't register TM30 for you.

On 8/17/2019 at 5:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

At Nong khai i have been told not to do tm30 report unless i have been outside the country

On 8/17/2019 at 6:02 PM, ubonjoe said:

There's really no 24 hour out of province rule for TM30 reporting. That is a mix up with a different section of the immigration act.

If the hotel does not not file a TM30 form immigration will never know you stayed in one.

The most likely reason you will need to file a TM30 form is the for leaving and re-entering the country since there will be stamps in your passport showing it.

Ubonjoe, are you saying that if the hotel files a TM30, then immigration WILL know about it?  And what, see it in their computer the next time we are there for another service?  I've been wondering about this - how they're going to enforce the other province rule - because my understanding was that their computer system was not up to this task, and it was only the stamps in the passport that clued them into the need for a TM30.  TIA.