BANGKOK
Mick501

Advice sought on serious drug matter

Girlfriend of three months is facing a charge of possessing a couple of kilos of ganja.  Her version is that she was living with her ex.  The police raided the house and found the drugs.  She was in bed at the time with their infant son.  She had no knowledge of the drugs.  The ex was generally abusive and had affairs, and used violence or threats to ensure his extra curricular activities were not disturbed by her.  No money was spent on either her or the child to make her think there was anything unusual.

The ex boyfriend apparently initially wrote her name on something, which is why she has been charged.  He has since made a statement that she was not involved.

There does not seem to be any evidence to implicate her.

She is very naive and has never seen ganja.  Indeed, she thought a cigar being passed around at a bar was ganja (which I witnessed and is a significant reason why I believe she would have no involvement.  Anyone dealing in kilos knows the difference)

She has had a basic consultation from a Thai lawyer.  She has no money and pretty much got the advice you would expect from a lawyer who briefly skims the case (if that) - plead guilty, say you are an addict and serve maybe two years.

Hoping  to find out whether a "fine" can be paid to avoid court,  even though she has been charged.

Also seeking to be pointed in the direction of competent legal professionals who might be able to offer advice.

thanks in advance.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Thai Lawyer fees are probably the most xpensive in the world with no reason or breakdown of charging structure. Police corruption is rife so is a possibility...Why was your gf living with her ex....or have you inherited the problem from outset....puts a new twist on a sick buffalo.

Inherited the problem.  She hasn't been pushing for financial help, to her credit

29 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

Pack your things right away and go somewhere else. And please believe me. If not, well then things might get nasty any time soon.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Fairly extreme suggestion.  Could you please explain why you think that is the way to go?

Whether she is involved, or not, she shows that she doesn't make good decisions. Most people can go through life without getting involved in such drama. This is your chance not to get involved.

Have you been witness to the actual legal proceedings? 

3 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Whether she is involved, or not, she shows that she doesn't make good decisions. Most people can go through life without getting involved in such drama. This is your chance not to get involved.

Have you been witness to the actual legal proceedings? 

As I said, she's naive.  Young and still learning about life.  She lives with me and we are a couple so walking away is not really an option.   The events predated me being in LoS.  

• Confused 2