Cocktail Ingredients

moogradod

Cocktail mixing is one of my hobbies. But I am lacking some ingredients which are obviously quite hard to find. I tried all the usual suspects like Villa, Central, Foodland etc. etc. in the Pattaya area. I need:

1. Angostura

2. Nouilly Prat

3. Apricot Brandy (preferably BOLS as well as BOLS Blue Curacao since the other Blue Curacao brands are only second or third choice)

My wife and myself live near Pattaya, but we are sometimes in BKK as well and could easily pick up anything there.

Maybe someone is mixing himself and may give a hint where to get this basic stuff or get it delivered ?

15 hours ago, Pilotman said:

One and three you can get in TOPS in Pattaya Central Festival Plaza, not sure about 2. 

Thanks. We shop at this supermarket at least twice per week but have never seen Angostura Bitter nor any BOLS liquor there. When did you see these items there ? With TOPS you mean the big supermarket on the ground floor of Central Festival with the liquor section located in the back on the left - right ?

23 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks. We shop at this supermarket at least twice per week but have never seen Angostura Bitter nor any BOLS liquor there. When did you see these items there ? With TOPS you mean the big supermarket on the ground floor of Central Festival with the liquor section located in the back on the left - right ?

I bought Angostura there around 4 months ago.  BOLS I have seen but never purchased.  Both on the top self, right side, above close to the other spirits.  The only other place I can think of you trying is Siamburys, or maybe Big C in Pattaya Central Road, which has an extensive range of spirits. I will be there on Tuesday so I will take a look myself.   

Thanks Pilotman

Just bought Angostura and BOLS Apricot plus Blue Curacao online at a shop called "Wishbeer". Not the cheapest but free delivery to your home. But I will definitely have a look again at Central.

Wishbeer does not offer Nouilly Prat. So this is the one I have to find now. How else am I going to prepare a decent Dry Martini ?

16 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks Pilotman

Just bought Angostura and BOLS Apricot plus Blue Curacao online at a shop called "Wishbeer". Not the cheapest but free delivery to your home. But I will definitely have a look again at Central.

Wishbeer does not offer Nouilly Prat. So this is the one I have to find now. How else am I going to prepare a decent Dry Martini ?

my favourite of all time drink, so I hope you find it.  The dry Martini in JW Marriot in BKK used to be the best drink on the planet.  so dry it would make your mouth and throat feel like sandpaper, brilliant.  

Sure BritManToo - nothing against a nice Mojito ! But I have tons of recipes - started mixing in 1983. I like as well the cocktails of Charles Schumann (Schumanns Bar, Munich) and having lived in Zurich, I knew the former head of Kronenhalle Bar, Peter Roth (who won the world championships of cocktail mixing with his "Ladykiller". His favourite drink is - hold your breath: Gin Tonic). So nothing against "easy" recipes !

Cheers !

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

my favourite of all time drink, so I hope you find it.  The dry Martini in JW Marriot in BKK used to be the best drink on the planet.  so dry it would make your mouth and throat feel like sandpaper, brilliant.  

Rumour has it that the most dry versions are made simply using Gin and then circling a bottle or Vermouth around the finished drink or simply whispering "Vermouth". And then the drink must be cold as can be. Use an olive and serve some separately or go for the "Gibson" variety: 2 (it must be two) pearl onions instead of one olive - making reference to the "Gibson Girls" .......

Chock Dee !

5 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Rumour has it that the most dry versions are made simply using Gin and then circling a bottle or Vermouth around the finished drink or simply whispering "Vermouth". And then the drink must be cold as can be. Use an olive and serve some separately or go for the "Gibson" variety: 2 (it must be two) pearl onions instead of one olive - making reference to the "Gibson Girls" .......

Chock Dee !

I'm a recent none drinker, but this makes me miss it a tad. but not for long. 

On 8/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, Pilotman said:

I bought Angostura there around 4 months ago.  BOLS I have seen but never purchased.  Both on the top self, right side, above close to the other spirits.

Just an update for anybody interested in the subject. Went to Central yesterday: No Angostura and no Bols Apricot Brandy in sight. But I found Angostura in Villa Market on Sukhumvit. Wishbeer does advertise Noilly Prat. One of the reasons I did miss it was my misspelling "Nouilly Prat". However the ability to deliver must still be proven by Wishbeer. Siamburys does not feature it either - went there just recently to get me some Black Rat Cider and Mozarella. My private stash fills up more and more. But still a long time to go - in my best times I did accumulate more than 150 different spirits and liquors ...????. However some of the required juices are easier to get here and there is much room for new creations using local fruit.

• 3 weeks later...

While our home cocktail bar takes shape there is one more item that we miss: Coconut Cream.

It is the thick sweet cream used for coladas, not the thin milk. Found abroad in abundance, in the land of the coconut this seems to be something rare. An older thread suggests to look in Villa or Tesco (??).

Archived