Financing a Big Bike

Los Luver

I'm planing to buy a MC on my coming trip. The thing is I have to choose between a Honda rebel 500 and a Suzuki boulevard c50.

- Honda costs 220K. I can afford to buy it cash !

-Suzuki costs 399K. I love it but I can't afford it. I wonder if a foreigner on tourist visa can get a loan to finance a MC. I can pay 230K cash down payment + 12/18 month instalments

Will it help if I got a 6 month Ed visa ?

69145460_1270173299828663_6894947305074458624_n.jpg

67965571_2519810308241123_5350948871885291520_n.jpg

Go for the Honda.  No need for finance, can be serviced at all the Big Wing dealers, holds its values, looks cool.

And if you don't have much bigger bike experience - go for the 300cc version.  Can be serviced everywhere, cheaper, has enough power for Thailand and looks exactly the same!

2 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

I like the Honda much more and if it were the other way round price wise I'd still like it more. 

The big question here is:

Can you handle these beasts?

My Honda click still surprises me and I'm 5 years in the saddle.

it took me a week to adjust from 110 cc to 1100 cc,

they are much heavier tho, people with weak legs

arent really suited to drive them.

i can understand the rationale for old people

ditching them in favor of a scooter at age 60,

or even earlier depending on strength & reaction time,

even more so if you got a passenger

No, you will NOT get a loan, except maybe from a loan shark at 10% per month...

Nobody else will loan you money, because you have no income in Thailand, you obviously don't live here and you have no assets (I.e. condo, house etc) that could be secured for the loan. 

Loan sharks... they would take your bones and your life as "secured asset" should you not pay back in time... 

If you can't pay for a toy in cash then that's life telling you that you can't afford it right now and simply should not buy it. Interest rates are too high here. What if your income goes away? You can't quickly sell a bike like that to the next guy around the corner.

As mentioned without a work permit it will be difficult if not impossible. Only chance would be with a guarantor maybe.

Gone for the Honda all day long... in a few years you will be glad you did, coupled to the fact you dont need to finance if iread it right (have had bikes all my life, all types all sorts of makes and a Honda after a few years is far better in looks/condition than other makes...) The Rebel looks great also though I have never rode one... Ride them first (rent few days) before you commit but best to not have finance if you can cover cost up front - Good luck anyway and enjoy!

Archived