Fiji PM accuses Australia's Morrison of 'insulting' Pacific island nations

rooster59

He's right about Morrison and the Aussie's seemingly not giving a toss about climate change... and this is in spite of Australia, which is a simmering desert at the best of times, just getting hotter and hotter in recent years (Koala's are functionally extinct by the way).

However if he thinks that the Chinese by being polite means they have magnanimous intentions for the region displays a degree of naivety that frankly I find disturbing..... Unless of course, he's already deep in the Chinese pocket and is just pandering to his new masters (which is quite likely given the corrupt history of the region). 

14 hours ago, Katipo said:

However if he thinks that the Chinese by being polite means they have magnanimous intentions for the region displays a degree of naivety that frankly I find disturbing..... Unless of course, he's already deep in the Chinese pocket and is just pandering to his new masters (which is quite likely given the corrupt history of the region). 

Yes, it's a despot thing: the slightest bit of flattery goes a long way.  Even if there is some sarcasm, they could very well overlook that part of the statement and get their paper-thin egos boosted.  That country that is still considered a "shining beacon on a hill" gives guidance to these guys these days.

I spent a few months there in 2007, he was running the country out of a military barracks.  People were rousted out of their beds in the wee hours and brought to "the barracks."  No secret, these rousts (note: NOT arrests ???? )  were told of on the TV news (btw, the young fellow reading the news was his nephew).  Frank would deal with each one personally. 

One Indian man told of his experience; Frank said "if you did nothing wrong, what are you nervous about?"  The man told him "because look where I am."  Frank laughed.

Archived