BANGKOK
Brunolem

Seeking info about surveillance cameras

I am looking for surveillance cameras, both for outdoors and indoors, and I find the info provided by the sellers generally very confusing. 

Here is what I am looking for:

I want cameras that are usually in sleeping mode and start recording only when there is movement in their field of vision. 

I also want these cameras to immediately send to my phone an alert message when such a movement occur, while letting me see what is happening. 

Finally I want these cameras to be easy to install and set up. 

If you know cameras fitting my requests, and available in Thailand, even via Aliexpress or Amazon, thank you for providing me with some guidance. 

Posted (edited)

You need cameras that support ONVIF protocol (most do) that should be managed via a dedicated computer. If you want video acceleration for object detection/license plate reading you might need a good graphic card. Check if the software you use works better with Nvidia or ATI cards.

You should use Gigabit cable and network switch or router. For software on Windows Blue Iris is pretty good and easy to use. I prefer Shinobi on Linux but it's not easy to setup for a begginer however they provide a paid cloud service that only require you to do the physical installation and no dedicated computer needed. 

You should setup remote access to the software via VPN and DDNS if your ip address is dynamic. Ideally you want a segregated network that can't reach the Internet but can be reached from the dedicated PC. Most of these camera are insecure by default and don't have automatic update or the company simply close and reopen under another name. 

Of course you can cut corner but will also lose functionality and probably get a lot of false positive alert. 

The cameras are never in sleeping mode. Usually they use motion detection that is unreliable but can be cleaned via post processing (object detection). I think some camera use infrared and probably have less false positive but I only installed the cheapest model that don't have this feature. Some camera can also be moved via software. Outdoor camera should be protected from the sun or the image will soon all be pink and black.

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

A lot of the funtionality you are looking for is the main DVR unit not the individual cameras. A dedicated unit runs the system, stores the video, does the networking etc. A camera can do what you want but more than one will need a unit to run the system.

Very easy to do and wireless (must have power supply). They carry sd cards for recording. They can snapshot an image of full record video on motion depending on what you set it to. The system will email you when triggered and you can log in to it from your phone from anywhere, provided the computer the cameras are linked to is connected to the internet.

Once logged in you can move the cameras around and even speak through them.

Easily and readily available from Lazada from arounnd 800 baht each.

Not suitable for car number plates or any distance, ideal around the home for "visitors/monitoring"

If you want a dedicated recording unit there are full 8 camera systems with base unit from 8k upwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Here is what I am looking for:

I want cameras that are usually in sleeping mode and start recording only when there is movement in their field of vision.

I also want these cameras to immediately send to my phone an alert message when such a movement occur, while letting me see what is happening.

Finally I want these cameras to be easy to install and set up. 

It really all boils down to how much you want to spend, how many cameras you want and over how big an area you need to install them.

So you need to be much more specific about the details of your installation. (How many cameras, whether you want some sort of centralised viewing position or whether you only need to view on your phone or PC, how easy it would be to run cables to the cameras, how long duration for recordings you want, how good your wifi coverage is over that area, and how fast your internet connection is generally.)

Motion detection for recording is available on all systems and so is not an issue at all. Warnings to other devices are also standard features.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Very easy to do and wireless (must have power supply). They carry sd cards for recording. They can snapshot an image of full record video on motion depending on what you set it to. The system will email you when triggered and you can log in to it from your phone from anywhere, provided the computer the cameras are linked to is connected to the internet.

Once logged in you can move the cameras around and even speak through them.

Easily and readily available from Lazada from arounnd 800 baht each.

Not suitable for car number plates or any distance, ideal around the home for "visitors/monitoring"

If you want a dedicated recording unit there are full 8 camera systems with base unit from 8k upwards.

Can you recommend a few cameras (names, models...)? 

Thanks. 

It would help if you could clarify what you need ? full system with hard drive, just 2 or three nothing fancy ? etc etc.

Then I can give better examples of what you actually need. I personally have several individual around the house that work very well for what they are.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

It really all boils down to how much you want to spend, how many cameras you want and over how big an area you need to install them.

So you need to be much more specific about the details of your installation. (How many cameras, whether you want some sort of centralised viewing position or whether you only need to view on your phone or PC, how easy it would be to run cables to the cameras, how long duration for recordings you want, how good your wifi coverage is over that area, and how fast your internet connection is generally.)

Motion detection for recording is available on all systems and so is not an issue at all. Warnings to other devices are also standard features.

Probably one outdoors camera and one indoors, for basic house surveillance. 

Both cameras don't need to be synched, they can work independently from each other. 

Can you recommend some specific cameras... I am not looking for anything fancy and expensive, but resilient enough... not a super cheap Chinese crap that will last a month... 

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

It would help if you could clarify what you need ? full system with hard drive, just 2 or three nothing fancy ? etc etc.

Then I can give better examples of what you actually need. I personally have several individual around the house that work very well for what they are.

Basic home surveillance, no computer or hard drive involved, just the cameras and my mobile phone. 

I would need one camera outdoors (meaning waterproof) and one indoors, working separately, no need for a network... 

5 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

no need for a network...

you would need a completely stand alone camera(s) with a SIM card that would be setup to text you when motion is detected.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

you would need a completely stand alone camera(s) with a SIM card that would be setup to text you when motion is detected.

Yes... I don't have a computer, don't need one and don't want to buy one just for the cameras... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Good... that's more like what I am looking for. 

I didn't know about these cameras with a sim card... 

• Like 1