Buying a computer - in USA or in Thailand?

JimmyJ

What bothers me about bringing over a computer from the US is that:

1) The standard 1 year warranty will not be honored abroad. I would have to mail the computer to someone in the US who would have to mail it to the computer company, and vice versa for getting it returned to me.

2) If I ignore the free repair under the US warranty and am willing to pay for the repair - They may not be willing to service it in Thailand - parts availability, etc., or just a policy of not servicing models which are not sold in Thailand.

But a poster in another thread stated that it's much more expensive to purchase a computer in Thailand.

So unsure how to proceed.

Would appreciate any feedback on this.

Are you that worried about warranty service?  You will get more for your money buying in USA as the market is much more competitive.  Buy here and it will be last years model at next years price.  That said if you are looking at paying several thousand USD indeed warranty service might be a valid concern, but for the $500 or so computer I would take a chance as repair can normally be done here at reasonable cost in the unlikely event it is ever required.  In my 60 years of buying products do not believe I have used warranty service more than twice (only remember once).  Normally they expire the day after warranty expires (and you likely want a newer model in any case).

Image result for newer model woman

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Cheaper in the States, just check for worldwide warranty. If no worldwide warranty cheap enough to get fixed in Thailand anyway.

So there shouldn't be a problem paying a shop in Thailand for repairs, even if it's a model purchased in the US and not sold in Thailand?

7 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

So there shouldn't be a problem paying a shop in Thailand for repairs, even if it's a model purchased in the US and not sold in Thailand?

Unless your computer uses some sort of proprietary bit of kit ... shouldn't be an issue. As per lopburi's post above, I can't think of any time I've been unlucky enough to need to get something repaired under warranty when it comes to computers. When the AU$ was doing well against the US$ I bought a lot of kit from the US (still do, including my current Asus laptop, when the price is right) regardless of warranty.

If you want to buy a high end PC, it would make sense to buy it in the US if it's a lot cheaper.

A good place to buy computers/notebooks here are "Advice shops". 

The problem you might have with a product for the US is that you might not get the right parts for it in Thailand.

Keyboards and other components are sometimes different. 

P. S. The computer shops don't care if it's a US, or European model should you need something done here. 

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

If you want to buy a high end PC, it would make sense to buy it in the US if it's a lot cheaper.

A good place to buy computers/notebooks here are "Advice shops". 

The problem you might have with a product for the US is that you might not get the right parts for it in Thailand.

Keyboards and other components are sometimes different. 

P. S. The computer shops don't care if it's a US, or European model should you need something done here. 

"The problem you might have with a product for the US is that you might not get the right parts for it in Thailand.

Keyboards and other components are sometimes different."

But in that case, the shops here will order the part and can obtain it from out of Thailand?

I think some computer companies, or perhaps all of them, have some parts that they do not offer for sale and it can only then be repaired thru one of their authorized shops.

In the US, I had a computer that was out of warranty, had someone who would repair it for me if I got the parts needed, and the company (Fujitsu or Sony I think) would only sell the battery and a few other simple to replace items, but wouldn't sell any of the parts I needed.

So that's the kind of situation I was wondering about.

Browse the Thailand internet shops to see what is sold here and buy something similar in the US if cheaper.

Most of the components are from China, S.Korea, Taiwan etc., even some hard-disks from Thailand.

Except you buy a top notch brand-new technology stuff I would not expect any problems.

I had my old PC bought 2009 from Germany repaired a couple of times until it was time to say goodbye. And that repair was in a small provincial town.

Just make sure that the power supply is a universal unit can be used with 220/240 V, 50 Hz.

It's likely but I don't know the US market.

57 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Keyboards and other components are sometimes different."

Keyboard is indeed an issue for some.

Not that it won't work but many don't like/are confused by the US/Thai labels and urge for pure US layout.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I think some computer companies, or perhaps all of them, have some parts that they do not offer for sale and it can only then be repaired thru one of their authorized shops.

Go for top notch Apple computer and you will have a problem :biggrin:

But not an issue for a standard desktop PC.

3 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Go to a recommended shop. I had my mother board rewritten for 1500 baht. Another time, I had my laptop problem diagnosed, and Windows 7 installed - for 300 baht.

How many years ago was that? And was it genuine Windows 7 or an old copy?    LOL

On 8/17/2019 at 8:29 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Brought laptop with me from US...Microsoft detected my location and disabled their products and sent a terse message that I was running pirated microsoft products...

Make sure you bring original software product licensing with you...

I have had brought 3 laptops with me from the US and I have never had Microsoft or any source invalidate their products due to my location. If this were the norm, everyone that traveled outside the US for business or pleasure would experience the same. 

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

I have had brought 3 laptops with me from the US and I have never had Microsoft or any source invalidate their products due to my location. If this were the norm, everyone that traveled outside the US for business or pleasure would experience the same. 

It was a word of caution...never intimated it was anyone's experience but my own...

3 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Yeap....with many, many, many laptops traveling all over the world every minute of the day if software deactivated itself because you went to another country we would have heard millions of people complaining about such.

Now, some software does require that it be "activated" in a certain region/country...but once activated it works worldwide and does not deactivate itself because you went to another part of the world.

I haven't ever read any posts complaining about Lazada's website - perhaps it's me - trying to compare computer prices -

I enter Samsung Laptop Computer and I get computer paraphernalia from various manufacturers, but no laptops. Also tried Samsung Computer, Samsung Laptop.

So far I'd say the least efficient website I've seen in years if not ever but you guys who use it must have figured out how to make it search properly???

EDIT - Just went back there - this time on my umpteenth try Samsung Laptop actually showed me 5 laptops - and then endless Samsung keyboards and extras.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I haven't ever read any posts complaining about Lazada's website - perhaps it's me - trying to compare computer prices -

I enter Samsung Laptop Computer and I get computer paraphernalia from various manufacturers, but no laptops. Also tried Samsung Computer, Samsung Laptop.

So far I'd say the least efficient website I've seen in years if not ever but you guys who use it must have figured out how to make it search properly???

EDIT - Just went back there - this time on my umpteenth try Samsung Laptop actually showed me 5 laptops - and then endless Samsung keyboards and extras.

Samsung stopped selling laptops in Thailand around 4 years ago.  In fact they stopped in several regions of the world around that time. So, any Samsung laptops you seen being sold on Lazada will probably be used ones.

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=laptop

Then you can filter by brand, screen size, hard-drive capacity.

You can sort by price high/low.

You can restrict to locally shipped products or even full-filled by Lazada.

What are you missing?

On 8/18/2019 at 8:22 AM, lopburi3 said:

Buy here and it will be last years model at next years price.  //

Some BS I many times read on this forum... :sad:

- FYI I just bought a new laptop this month  and it uses an Intel processor that has been launched first quarter 2019.  So your "last year model"... Hum... :whistling:

- If you look for the right shops on Internet (and not shops like JIB, Banana or PowerBuy), you will get very few difference with western prices, if any. :thumbsup:

- And BTW it's a Lenovo and so get a 2 years International Warranty :cool:

6 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

- FYI I just bought a new laptop this month  and it uses an Intel processor that has been launched first quarter 2019.  So your "last year model"... Hum...

I read positive reviews about the Lenovo Thinkbook 13s.

Good value for money. First appeared in May.

German reviews from this month.

It's not yet on Lazada but at the Lenovo Thailand page and is cheaper/same price compared to Germany.

Unfortunately no English site:

https://www.lenovo.com/th/th/laptops/thinkpad/thinkbook-series/Lenovo-ThinkBook-13s-IWL/p/88LG8TB1310

(Google translate on Chrome does a good job)

14 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

And BTW it's a Lenovo

And that says it - Chinese are keen to control computer market here and indeed they do offer some good products. But even those models were more often than not sold with hdd drives long after they had been replaced by SSD just about anywhere else.  And I use an old Lenovo myself.

29 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's not yet on Lazada but at the Lenovo Thailand page and is cheaper/same price compared to Germany.

https://www.lenovo.com/th/th/laptops/thinkpad/thinkbook-series/Lenovo-ThinkBook-13s-IWL/p/88LG8TB1310

The Lenovo Thailand website has greatly improved over the last 6 months or so....actually selling customized Lenovo laptops and actually having some sales....like 15% off reduced prices....actually reducing prices where they are very close to what you would pay if ordering off the Lenovo USA website.  

I've got the urge to upgrade....sometime between now and the end of year I'm going to order a customized Lenovo Thinkpad....probably a P53 or maybe even a P72 or P73 depending on the sales/promotion they may have.   

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And that says it - Chinese are keen to control computer market here and indeed they do offer some good products. But even those models were more often than not sold with hdd drives long after they had been replaced by SSD just about anywhere else.  And I use an old Lenovo myself.

I've got two Lenovo laptops which are around 5 years old right now...an i7 CPU and i5CPU model.  Been very pleased with them.  My next laptop will also be a Lenovo as I've got the urge to upgrade although the two laptops I have now are working fine...laptops I put SSDs in several years back.

55 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thai version comes with Windows 10 Home Single Language

UK version Windows 10 Pro.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkbook-series/Lenovo-ThinkBook-13s-IWL/p/88LG8TB1310

Samsung stopped selling laptops in Thailand around 4 years ago.  In fact they stopped in several regions of the world around that time. So, any Samsung laptops you seen being sold on Lazada will probably be used ones.
Can still get Samsung laptops in Hong Kong. Never seen them in LOS.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=laptop

Then you can filter by brand, screen size, hard-drive capacity.

You can sort by price high/low.

You can restrict to locally shipped products or even full-filled by Lazada.

What are you missing?

What I am missing is what I stated I was search for - Samsung laptops.

If you look at the filter choices, Samsung is not even listed.

However, Pib in post #20 helpfully pointed out why.

Archived