BANGKOK
JimmyJ

Buying a computer - in USA or in Thailand?

Posted (edited)

What bothers me about bringing over a computer from the US is that:

1) The standard 1 year warranty will not be honored abroad. I would have to mail the computer to someone in the US who would have to mail it to the computer company, and vice versa for getting it returned to me.

2) If I ignore the free repair under the US warranty and am willing to pay for the repair - They may not be willing to service it in Thailand - parts availability, etc., or just a policy of not servicing models which are not sold in Thailand.

But a poster in another thread stated that it's much more expensive to purchase a computer in Thailand.

So unsure how to proceed.

Would appreciate any feedback on this.

Edited by JimmyJ

Posted (edited)

Cheaper in the States, just check for worldwide warranty. If no worldwide warranty cheap enough to get fixed in Thailand anyway.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

Go to a recommended shop. I had my mother board rewritten for 1500 baht. Another time, I had my laptop problem diagnosed, and Windows 7 installed - for 300 baht.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Cheaper in the States, just check for worldwide warranty. If no worldwide warranty cheap enough to get fixed in Thailand anyway.

So there shouldn't be a problem paying a shop in Thailand for repairs, even if it's a model purchased in the US and not sold in Thailand?

Brought laptop with me from US...Microsoft detected my location and disabled their products and sent a terse message that I was running pirated microsoft products...

Make sure you bring original software product licensing with you...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

So there shouldn't be a problem paying a shop in Thailand for repairs, even if it's a model purchased in the US and not sold in Thailand?

Unless your computer uses some sort of proprietary bit of kit ... shouldn't be an issue. As per lopburi's post above, I can't think of any time I've been unlucky enough to need to get something repaired under warranty when it comes to computers. When the AU$ was doing well against the US$ I bought a lot of kit from the US (still do, including my current Asus laptop, when the price is right) regardless of warranty.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you want to buy a high end PC, it would make sense to buy it in the US if it's a lot cheaper.

A good place to buy computers/notebooks here are "Advice shops". 

The problem you might have with a product for the US is that you might not get the right parts for it in Thailand.

Keyboards and other components are sometimes different. 

P. S. The computer shops don't care if it's a US, or European model should you need something done here. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

If you want to buy a high end PC, it would make sense to buy it in the US if it's a lot cheaper.

A good place to buy computers/notebooks here are "Advice shops". 

The problem you might have with a product for the US is that you might not get the right parts for it in Thailand.

Keyboards and other components are sometimes different. 

P. S. The computer shops don't care if it's a US, or European model should you need something done here. 

"The problem you might have with a product for the US is that you might not get the right parts for it in Thailand.

Keyboards and other components are sometimes different."

But in that case, the shops here will order the part and can obtain it from out of Thailand?

I think some computer companies, or perhaps all of them, have some parts that they do not offer for sale and it can only then be repaired thru one of their authorized shops.

In the US, I had a computer that was out of warranty, had someone who would repair it for me if I got the parts needed, and the company (Fujitsu or Sony I think) would only sell the battery and a few other simple to replace items, but wouldn't sell any of the parts I needed.

So that's the kind of situation I was wondering about.

Posted (edited)

Browse the Thailand internet shops to see what is sold here and buy something similar in the US if cheaper.

Most of the components are from China, S.Korea, Taiwan etc., even some hard-disks from Thailand.

Except you buy a top notch brand-new technology stuff I would not expect any problems.

I had my old PC bought 2009 from Germany repaired a couple of times until it was time to say goodbye. And that repair was in a small provincial town.

Just make sure that the power supply is a universal unit can be used with 220/240 V, 50 Hz.

It's likely but I don't know the US market.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Keyboards and other components are sometimes different."

Keyboard is indeed an issue for some.

Not that it won't work but many don't like/are confused by the US/Thai labels and urge for pure US layout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Go to a recommended shop. I had my mother board rewritten for 1500 baht. Another time, I had my laptop problem diagnosed, and Windows 7 installed - for 300 baht.

How many years ago was that? And was it genuine Windows 7 or an old copy?    LOL

Troll post reported and removed.