Buying a computer - in USA or in Thailand?

JimmyJ

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback.

After I saw all the posts saying buy in the US (and before the newer posts saying 'Not necessarily') I went to a local electronics shop in the US looking for a lightweight Windows computer (I've always used a 15.5" screen or 17", but I need a light one to travel with).

The store had this Samsung 13.3" for the same price that Samsung lists it at on this page:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/windows-laptops/notebook-series-7/notebook-7-13---256gb--np730xbe-k01us/

2.8 lbs. 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD. 13.3" screen. (I agree the RAM and SSD are minimal amounts but liveable I think - or hope).

$999.99 USD

It converts to a touchscreen tablet with a pencil. I have no interest in that aspect and it probably adds a few hundred to its price.

But the positive about this store is there is 30 day return with no restocking fee.

I've never used a Samsung nor a computer with a 13" screen nor one this lightweight so I appreciate the chance to make sure I'm happy with it.

But Pib's post #20 points out that Samsung stopped selling in LOS - something I wasn't aware of.

This is the reason I had thought I'd wait and buy one in LOS - I'd hate to purchase a computer in the US, have a problem in LOS and find that no one offers repairs and/or has no access to parts.

Some of you have run well on not buying lemons, but that hasn't been my experience and I've definitely had to take advantage of warranties in the past.

Now that I see several posts mentioning that it is possible to get good prices in LOS sometimes - and 1 person got an international warranty - I'm leaning again to waiting.

But I imagine there is no way to purchase a computer in LOS and have the option for a return within x amount of days with no fee?

I've always found stores with this option when I purchase a computer and that used to be Amazon US' policy also, although clearly many/most of you are comfortable purchasing without having that option of a free return (usually within 30 days). Something I guess I'll have to get used to.

8 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Some BS I many times read on this forum... :sad:

- FYI I just bought a new laptop this month  and it uses an Intel processor that has been launched first quarter 2019.  So your "last year model"... Hum... :whistling:

- If you look for the right shops on Internet (and not shops like JIB, Banana or PowerBuy), you will get very few difference with western prices, if any. :thumbsup:

- And BTW it's a Lenovo and so get a 2 years International Warranty :cool:

Interesting info.

What are the right shops on the internet?

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Interesting info.

What are the right shops on the internet?

Nowadays shops' role is just to send us the laptop. Any problem you will go to a Service Center. So just choose the shop that offers the cheapest price :thumbsup:

I bought mine on a shop from Shopee, but could have been Lazada or any similar website.

Google is probably you best friend to locate the good shops once you have decided the model, or at least the brand.

Comparison websites may be useful too, even if not always real-time updated: NotebookSpec, PriceZA, etc...

PS: Because Internet is what it is, don't forget to have a look on comments made by buyers. There are a few bad sellers everywhere ????

Also check the volume of transactions. I would not buy from an unknown shop if I was one of first clients...

And last point, I choose a shop that accept Cash On Delivery (COD). It reduces risks and usually sign of a good shop. ???? 

If I had my heart set on a Samsung laptop but wanted to buy in Thailand, then one workaround would be to get a Tab S4 or later with Dex and an accompanying keyboard. Thailand at least do the tablets. Also big weight advantage with one of these if mobile a lot of the time.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/22/2019 at 1:46 PM, JimmyJ said:

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback.

After I saw all the posts saying buy in the US (and before the newer posts saying 'Not necessarily') I went to a local electronics shop in the US looking for a lightweight Windows computer (I've always used a 15.5" screen or 17", but I need a light one to travel with).

The store had this Samsung 13.3" for the same price that Samsung lists it at on this page:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/windows-laptops/notebook-series-7/notebook-7-13---256gb--np730xbe-k01us/

2.8 lbs. 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD. 13.3" screen. (I agree the RAM and SSD are minimal amounts but liveable I think - or hope).

$999.99 USD

It converts to a touchscreen tablet with a pencil. I have no interest in that aspect and it probably adds a few hundred to its price.

But the positive about this store is there is 30 day return with no restocking fee.

I've never used a Samsung nor a computer with a 13" screen nor one this lightweight so I appreciate the chance to make sure I'm happy with it.

But Pib's post #20 points out that Samsung stopped selling in LOS - something I wasn't aware of.

This is the reason I had thought I'd wait and buy one in LOS - I'd hate to purchase a computer in the US, have a problem in LOS and find that no one offers repairs and/or has no access to parts.

Some of you have run well on not buying lemons, but that hasn't been my experience and I've definitely had to take advantage of warranties in the past.

Now that I see several posts mentioning that it is possible to get good prices in LOS sometimes - and 1 person got an international warranty - I'm leaning again to waiting.

But I imagine there is no way to purchase a computer in LOS and have the option for a return within x amount of days with no fee?

I've always found stores with this option when I purchase a computer and that used to be Amazon US' policy also, although clearly many/most of you are comfortable purchasing without having that option of a free return (usually within 30 days). Something I guess I'll have to get used to.

I'm planning to purchase this computer and make sure I like it.

If so and I bring it to Thailand -  if it was to need a repair in the future, do you think the computer repair shops in Thailand would be able to get parts for it if needed?

The possible problem being that Samsung is no longer selling laptops in Thailand.

If so and I bring it to Thailand -  if it was to need a repair in the future, do you think the computer repair shops in Thailand would be able to get parts for it if needed?
The possible problem being that Samsung is no longer selling laptops in Thailand.

Don't know where you are staying but I would be pretty confident that could get it fixed at one of the shops in TukCom in Pattaya.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

If there is no official service centre for Samsung laptops in Chiang Mai/Thailand, make another choice.

Look for something that has an International warranty and official service centres in Thailand.

Even when they did; 

Find something else of a similar spec, if that is what you want. 

It's not as if you have found a super bargain anyway.

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

If there is no official service centre for Samsung laptops in Chiang Mai/Thailand, make another choice.

Look for something that has an International warranty and official service centres in Thailand.

Even when they did; 

Find something else of a similar spec, if that is what you want. 

It's not as if you have found a super bargain anyway.

I haven't found any computer available in the US which has an international warranty.

I've checked with several of the major manufacturers and purchasing in the US, the warranty covers being in the US only.

I'll assume there is no official service center for Samsungs anywhere in Thailand, as a poster in the thread stated they no longer sell laptops in Thailand.

But unofficially several posters have mentioned computer repair shops service all types.

I agree the laptop isn't a super bargain, but I can get 30 days return which allows me to try it out and make sure I'm happy with it - have never owned a computer smaller than 15.5" screen and never owned a Samsung.

I do like it's weight - 2.8 pounds.

EDIT - Thanks for the link to the Samsung Official Repair Shop thread.

Bad service at their official shop 6 years ago - perhaps it's improved?

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I haven't found any computer available in the US which has an international warranty.

I've checked with several of the major manufacturers and purchasing in the US, the warranty covers being in the US only.

I'll assume there is no official service center for Samsungs anywhere in Thailand, as a poster in the thread stated they no longer sell laptops in Thailand.

But unofficially several posters have mentioned computer repair shops service all types.

I agree the laptop isn't a super bargain, but I can get 30 days return which allows me to try it out and make sure I'm happy with it - have never owned a computer smaller than 15.5" screen and never owned a Samsung.

I do like it's weight - 2.8 pounds.

EDIT - Thanks for the link to the Samsung Official Repair Shop thread.

Bad service at their official shop 6 years ago - perhaps it's improved?

You appear to be an optimist. ????

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/c/LAPTOPS

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505335

ASUS too; https://www.asus.com/support/images/upload/file/20181018100511584_international warranty country cover list.pdf

I imagine DELL and ACER too.

They may be add-on extensions.

One can look into the options available and also look into warranty extension options. You can believe whatever you like about what you are told. But unless they have the parts in Thailand, they aren't going to be able to fix anything.

In addition to that, the quality of work outside official service centres, often leaves a lot to be desired.

Personally I would just purchase a second user business quality device, for less than half that price instead of worrying about warranties that won't be honoured anyway.

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

You appear to be an optimist. ????

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/c/LAPTOPS

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505335

ASUS too; https://www.asus.com/support/images/upload/file/20181018100511584_international warranty country cover list.pdf

I imagine DELL and ACER too.

They may be add-on extensions.

One can look into the options available and also look into warranty extension options. You can believe whatever you like about what you are told. But unless they have the parts in Thailand, they aren't going to be able to fix anything.

In addition to that, the quality of work outside official service centres, often leaves a lot to be desired.

Personally I would just purchase a second user business quality device, for less than half that price instead of worrying about warranties that won't be honoured anyway.

Thanks for the links.

I'm pretty sure the ones I've checked with are Samsung, HP, and Dell, which all told me if I purchase in the US the warranty only covers the US.

But never checked the companies you've linked to (and never owned their computers) so will look at those.

I may end up waiting and purchasing in Thailand which was my original plan.

Any idea in general what percent more expensive a computer would be in Thailand vs the US? (The same model in both countries).

13 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Thanks for the links.

I'm pretty sure the ones I've checked with are Samsung, HP, and Dell, which all told me if I purchase in the US the warranty only covers the US.

But never checked the companies you've linked to (and never owned their computers) so will look at those.

I may end up waiting and purchasing in Thailand which was my original plan.

Any idea in general what percent more expensive a computer would be in Thailand vs the US? (The same model in both countries).

I don't hail from the USA, so would know just as much as you do.

Neither do I buy expensive new computers. I concentrate on value for money. 

For a travel laptop, I chose this; 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/refurbished-dell-latitude-e7240-ultrabook-180-at-blackmoreit-ebay-3032109

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/refurbished-dell-latitude-e7240-ultrabook-i5-4200u-4gb-128gb-ssd-touchscreen-laptop-150-at-blackmoreit-ebay-3127576

US$185 to US$220 for a 12.5" Full HD Touchscreen laptop with SATA SSD and a slot for a SIM card.

US$1000 on a laptop isn't a sensible way for me to spend my money.

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I have never worried over warranty as I have never needed to use it in 30 years on buying laptops. They always work.

You (and some other posters here) lead a charmed life.

Or I have run bad on computers.

Or both.

About how much was the shipping charge from Amazon US?

5 hours ago, JamJar said:

I don't hail from the USA, so would know just as much as you do.

Neither do I buy expensive new computers. I concentrate on value for money. 

For a travel laptop, I chose this; 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/refurbished-dell-latitude-e7240-ultrabook-180-at-blackmoreit-ebay-3032109

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/refurbished-dell-latitude-e7240-ultrabook-i5-4200u-4gb-128gb-ssd-touchscreen-laptop-150-at-blackmoreit-ebay-3127576

US$185 to US$220 for a 12.5" Full HD Touchscreen laptop with SATA SSD and a slot for a SIM card.

US$1000 on a laptop isn't a sensible way for me to spend my money.

That's a great deal if you were satisfied with the computer.

I would of course prefer to save the money [although I'd be a tad worried wondering if there was anything (spyware etc.) hidden in the BIOS by the seller. Or if there's an intermittent problem that caused the person to sell it].

What sort of warranty is there when purchasing a used computer?

I've never done that.

11 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I've never done that.

From what I know:

- if you buy from a private person, you may still have a valid period of the initial 2 years warranty

- if you buy from a shop, it may give you a 1 to 3 months warranty

- if you buy a factory-refurbished computer, they usually have a 6 months warranty. (Many sellers of such laptops on Kaidee.com)

8 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

That's a great deal if you were satisfied with the computer.

I would of course prefer to save the money [although I'd be a tad worried wondering if there was anything (spyware etc.) hidden in the BIOS by the seller. Or if there's an intermittent problem that caused the person to sell it].

I've never done that.

These are ex-Business devices. They run them for three years, usually under a three year on-site warranty and then they are disposed of by a separate company, certified to do the disposals. They are literally paid to take them away.

The company will destroy or securely wipe the drives. 

Then they are graded and sold on as refurbished business machines. So you are getting a device that likely sold for over US$1000, for a small percentage of that.

If you think some company is deliberately infecting BIOS...that is just 'nuts'.

Intermittent problem? These machines are sold by their hundreds and thousands. it's not just one device.

The best recycling companies stand by their work, with six to twelve month warranties as standard. Some will extend to two to three years for a small payment, as they know that these aren't the often poorly constructed consumer devices that you cannot easily get into in order to service, but business quality devices designed for easy maintenance.

So buy the US$1000 laptop and then try to get into it, in order to change the RAM or SSD and tell me how you get on.

I have never purchased a new computer for myself. The refurbished Netbook I purchased in 2008 is still fully functional. Refurbished laptop purchased in 2009, I retired last year. Am now using one purchased in 2010(by someone else and given to me).

All devices were 'as new'. Some still with the original plastic covers on them.

Being the first one to open the box costs you dearly and the item can still fail. I'm happy enough to buy a product that has been taken out of the box and tested, before it is sold on to me at a substantial discount.

I would not necessarily do the same thing in Thailand. Simply not confident of their integrity and professionalism.

In the U.K we have solid protections.

Seven or eight years ago, I bought the cheapest full sized laptop "Best Buy" had to sell, a Gateway.

Eleven months later, here in Bangkok, it crashed.  Repair guy reported a failed HD but suggested I check with Acer Service (they had taken over Gateway) to see if still covered with original warranty. To my surprise it was and the HD was replaced free of charge, saving me B2000+ so US warranty's are often valid here.

If you do buy a laptop in the US for use here, beware of one potential and very aggravating snag that had me loosing hair when I brought a new HP laptop (Successor to the Gateway)  back to Bangkok from the US.

When I initially tried to set it up, it refused to see and connect to my Wi-Fi network though every other device in the apartment was functioning normally. Two days of cursing as I re-downloaded drivers later I finally discovered the following fact in an internet post.  The US government reserves router channels #12, 13 & 14 for it's own use, thus those channels are locked out on all computers and wifi devices sold in the US.   

These channels are not restricted in Thailand or most of the world. Thus, if your router happens to be set to broadcast on 12, 13 or 14, as mine was, you will get nothing except unhappiness until you change your router settings to an accessible channel for your new laptop.

Chances are, this won't happen but nice to know just in case.

On 8/22/2019 at 8:25 PM, Pib said:

The Lenovo Thailand website has greatly improved over the last 6 months or so....actually selling customized Lenovo laptops and actually having some sales

Just ordered a Thinkbook 13s (i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, AMD Radeon 540X 2GB, W10 Pro) for 20334 Baht (~600 EUR, 660 USD).

Big discount on the list price of 33890 Baht (which is about the price in Germany for a comparable model).

But the site was all in Thai. Is there an English version that I overlooked?

Paid with German CC.

In the US a model with i7 and 512 GB SSD is listed for 1056 USD.

13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

But the site was all in Thai. Is there an English version that I overlooked?

Paid with German CC.

Best I can figure it's all in Thai....no choice to switch to another language like English.  Well, down in the lower right hand corner of the main page you can switch to a different country in the world but all that does is take you to the Lenovo website in that other country where models/options/pricing offered will be for that country.

Glad you noted you paid with your German CC.  Shows a person don't have to pay with a Thai credit card or from a Thai bank.   When I order my Lenovo I plan to pay with my US CC.

Since I previously mentioned I wanted to buy a Thinkpad P53 I did a price comparison between the Thailand and USA Lenovo websites.  I configured my P53 on both websites the same way I would want it configured. 

I could have configured it to be cheaper or more costly depending on the hardware configuration chosen....but the point is the configuration is the same on both websites so I can do an apples-to-apples price comparison.   

Buying the specifically configured P53 from Thailand Lenovo website would cost Bt55,836 (approx $1,832 using the Bangkok Bank TT Buying exchange rate at this moment in time) but $2,229 from the USA Lenovo website.  Of course both websites say you are getting a discount....but obviously, the Thailand Lenovo website is giving a better deal.

Bought from USA Lenovo website

image.png.95e8a4fd2d76bae265e3457f294bf5f7.png

Bought From Thailand Lenovo website

image.png.c7dd71f037de9fbc3e8f7dbee9d53841.png

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Glad you noted you paid with your German CC.  Shows a person don't have to pay with a Thai credit card or from a Thai bank.   When I order my Lenovo I plan to pay with my US CC.

First attempt failed.

Second attempt: while doing the order on the PC I had to login to the banking app on the smartphone to do "Verify by VISA"/confirmation (two factor authorization as required by the upcoming EU directive)

It depends on what hardware you are looking to acquire.

I've purchased high end laptops from both Thailand and amazon.com in the us.

The us bought laptop needed a new hard drive which was repaired by the service center in Thailand because of worldwide warranty

I had to pay import taxes on it when it was shipped in though. 

My most recent laptop is a high end dell from Thailand, a good machine that I’ve upgraded with higher hardware spec than a MacBook.

There are some good Lenovo’s out too  but it depends what you use it for. I invest at least 35-40k baht in a good laptop and I upgrade them more to max spec.

The cheaper laptops tend to overheat  and burn out the motherboard after 2 years if you use them a lot.

for a standard desktop pc just buy one in Thailand and have it built to your needs.

I bring a Lenovo laptop with me. In fact I brought my last years 720 for the brat when she shows and I have a C930 4K. They are cheaper in the USA, have USA keyboards and getting anyhting fixed here is a breeze, knock on wood.

5 hours ago, NightSky said:

It depends on what hardware you are looking to acquire.

I've purchased high end laptops from both Thailand and amazon.com in the us.

The us bought laptop needed a new hard drive which was repaired by the service center in Thailand because of worldwide warranty

I had to pay import taxes on it when it was shipped in though. 

My most recent laptop is a high end dell from Thailand, a good machine that I’ve upgraded with higher hardware spec than a MacBook.

There are some good Lenovo’s out too  but it depends what you use it for. I invest at least 35-40k baht in a good laptop and I upgrade them more to max spec.

The cheaper laptops tend to overheat  and burn out the motherboard after 2 years if you use them a lot.

for a standard desktop pc just buy one in Thailand and have it built to your needs.

"The us bought laptop needed a new hard drive which was repaired by the service center in Thailand because of worldwide warranty."

What brand was that?

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"The us bought laptop needed a new hard drive which was repaired by the service center in Thailand because of worldwide warranty."

What brand was that?

That was a slimline samsung chronos from the us which I wouldn’t recommend at all. 

Dell and lenovo seem to be best buys for me purchased in Thailand.

Archived