Malaysians driving in Thailand urged to ensure their licence and insurance are valid

rooster59

Malaysians driving in Thailand urged to ensure their licence and insurance are valid

By Sharifah Mahsinah Abdullah

traffic.JPG

This Aug 10 file pic shows the traffic situation near Rantau Panjang Immigration, Customs, Quarantine and Security (ICQS) ahead of the Aidiladha celebration. - NSTP/Zaman Huri Isa

KOTA BARU: Police advised Malaysian motorists driving in Thailand to have valid driving licence as well as ensure the vehicles are covered by insurance.

This is to prevent any untoward incident if they were involved in an accident in that country.

Kelantan police deputy chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Abdullah Mohammad Piah said it was quite normal for local Kelantanese to travel to Thailand using their own vehicles but they must make sure their documents are in order.

"This is to ensure they will not face any problem especially when they are involved in road accidents, such as the one which happened to a Malaysian driver who had rammed into a group of grass cutters in Songkhla, killing them instantly," he said.

Full story: https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2019/08/513537/malaysians-driving-thailand-urged-ensure-their-licence-and-insurance-are

New Straits Times: 2019-08-18

on a tangent GRASS CUTTING, they were out on second road Jomtien, they only had a few cones out, and were working right behind them, i personally seen a car slam on his brakes, they should have signs up, closing that lane so they can work safely, so we had cars etc whizzing by at 80ks, within a few feet of the workers, a couple of cones dont help at all ,,,,,   but they wont.

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

Do the malaysians drive without license as much as the thai do? Never heard of that before.

"The driver was found to have been driving without a valid licence while the vehicle involved in the incident only had a valid road tax but was not covered by insurance." StraitsTime. Retrieved from https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2019/08/513537/malaysians-driving-thailand-urged-ensure-their-licence-and-insurance-are

Everyone in my girlfriend's family (mama, papa, sisters and their husbands, aunts and uncles) have cars. Not a one of them has a license, and I doubt very much insurance. Quite glad about that, because some of them want to come for a "visit", but are afraid they might get pulled over at a highway checkpoint or get in an accident on the long drive.

4 hours ago, Youlike said:

Do the malaysians drive without license as much as the thai do? Never heard of that before.

Yes they do mate, depending on which state they live in i would say more of them drive without license and/or insurance than Thais percentage wise coz west malaysia less than population of Thais. A lot of them never been to driving school even just the usual brown envelope and license is sorted. 

1 hour ago, sanmyintmaung said:

"The driver was found to have been driving without a valid licence while the vehicle involved in the incident only had a valid road tax but was not covered by insurance." StraitsTime. Retrieved from https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2019/08/513537/malaysians-driving-thailand-urged-ensure-their-licence-and-insurance-are

Oops unless she's wealthy(highly unlikely since she driving a Myvi)she is in a world of crap now. RIP to the 5 grasscutters.

Archived