Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have thought with the millions of tourists flooding Thailand that they would be more of a medical problem then a few hundred expats living here !

Yes, but many expats can't get an insurance because of their age.

I still find this extremely hard to believe as the hospital will never let you leave until paid in full. How do you rack up a bill and then walk away?   All we can do is wait and see what

Posted Images

I almost wanted to reply with ''Oh that is really good news, only 400K in patient coverage needed'' until I read 40K outpatient for the second time...
Even for me, 28Y old, that increases my monthly premium significantly, for no reason at all. I always pay outpatient in cash.

Actually, in 7 years time I have used out patient several times and it includes an X ray, but the total spendings were less than the additional costs for 2 months,
I will have to be paying for another / more expensive insurance now.

Guess I will be switching to a non-b, that is cheaper.

Edited by tabarin
12 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I'm on an O-A retirement visa here, and the last time I looked at the visa conditions they just define me as a long term tourist here. Not resident. I don't have a right to work here, or any more rights than a tourist on a 7 days holiday.  Heaps of banks refused to open an account for me.

I don't say it is good or bad, it is just the way it is. However the mandatory health insurance for the O-A holders is a money grab. If we have the same rights as any tourist, then TI should be good enough.

Yes this is main point Sir. There are so many retirees who run businesses on their spouse or friends name do not pay a single dime in taxes. Yes many banks dont open account and problems for exclusive retirees who only tend to retire by living on their limited income.

I wish you well and hope you will cope with this regulation.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Hmmm.... mandatory ie you have to have it and then pay the going rate. Bit of a worry in a country that historically has tried to bleed farangs dry at every opportunity.TIT..... call me cynical

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Thaifriends said:

Yes this is main point Sir. There are so many retirees who run businesses on their spouse or friends name do not pay a single dime in taxes. Yes many banks dont open account and problems for exclusive retirees who only tend to retire by living on their limited income.

I wish you well and hope you will cope with this regulation.

It does not matter what visa you are on, if you stay for 8 months per year in Thailand, you are a fiscal resident here too.
The reality is that even most Thais do not pay taxes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, gearbox said:

No such limitation on my TI...yet. As a general rule the terms and conditions only get worse, so sooner or later this may pop up.https://www.citibank.com.au/global_images/complimentaryinsurance/pdf/mcg7932_0319_citi_description_of_cover_final.pdf

I guess if all Australians sign up for a Citibank Signature card ...

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1100759-mandatory-health-insurance-for-non-immigrant-o-a-retirement-visa-holders-likely-to-take-effect-in-july/?fbclid=IwAR01DpPIz3JgJgYqOU6RmuOvp__6ochqucP0oCDX7sskQRhsAchC_12xLDc

Does everyone remember this article?  The stats cited by the MoPH was based on the total number of tourists arriving in Thailand every year! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

As if the plebs that run this place care about such minor details as that

plebs

noun
\ ˈplebz , ˈpleps
plural plebes\ ˈplē-(ˌ)bēz

, ˈplā-ˌbās

Definition of plebs
1 : the general populace
2 : the common people of ancient Rome

Maybe you have a new definition of pleb?

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I still find this extremely hard to believe as the hospital will never let you leave until paid in full. How do you rack up a bill and then walk away?

All we can do is wait and see what comes out and how it is written. Not going to speculate, but I have my feeling there is more to it than that..

I am an O visa (retirement extension) so hopefully this will not apply to me.  However, I have had crappy BOOOPA for ten years. Only inpatient. When this possible regulation first came up, I investigated adding outpatient coverage.  One of the problems with BOOOPA is that they do not describe coverage in terms of total payouts, so you can't ask "How much will B40,000 of outpatient cost?"  But the only outpatient coverage available would provide B2,500 per incident for a maximum of 30 incidents over one year.  In other words a maximum of B75,000.  Nothing less than that so far as I was able to determine.  The kicker is that adding outpatient would increase my premium by something like and additional B50,000! My outpatient will be B72,000 this year, so to get outpatient would be around B122,000 or something like that.   What a crap deal; B50,000 premium gets you a maximum of B75,000 payout unless I am completely misreading it. Ridiculous and not doable. Even more ridiculous considering that I have never had a claim in 10 years; the easiest B500,000 BOOOPA every made!

Anyone presently age 61 will not be able to obtain medical insurance anywhere in Thailand. I don't think mandatory insurance is unreasonable, but the consortium has better make it possible and reasonable to obtain insurance. Otherwise, you are effectively saying that old farts who are not grandfathered in with some form of coverage are banned from Thailand. I wouldn't mind if they just folded coverage into the Thai scheme and chare the nasty, greasy falang triple the Thai rate or something like that. 

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, but many expats can't get an insurance because of their age.

Right. And why would anyone plan on retiring at 65 to a place that will throw you out at 70, saying you must have insurance but no company will insure you?

4 hours ago, burner2014 said:

That's a big issue of the insurance world anyways. But it's not 100% true. I asked this 4 months ago at a Thai Insurance Company and this was the answer:

"It is because XXX only accepts new applicants up to 70 years old, but there is no age limit for renewal clients. It means that if you apply for our health insurance before 70 years old, you can still renew even if you are 90 years old."

So choosing a health insurance when you still 50-60 years old is important to be insured when you 90.

This is the first time I have heard of a company issuing new policies for people that old. When I was 60, I switched from AIA to BOOOPA because BOOOPA was the only one I knew about that would guarantee not to cancel your coverage so long as premium paid.  Their upper limit for new policies was age 60 or 61.

4 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

I don't believe for a minute that this will actually help the financially strapped hospitals. I do believe that it's designed to help the insurance companies increase their bank accounts. If it is actually true that farangs are at fault for the hospitals problems (which I highly doubt) all they would have to do is send a patient's passport number to immigration on the day of any medical procedure being done and immigration would not let anyone leave Thailand who had an outstanding medical bill where the hospital hadn't given them clearance.

After reading through some of the provided insurance company policies on what wasn't covered, I began to wonder if they would cover anything at all. The insurance companies have so many loop holes that I don't think they will be paying out on many claims. 

This leaves the farang to not only pay for a huge deductible or the whole hospital bill but on top of that he/she would have to come up with the annual policy amount of 60,000 to 100,000 baht (depending on age) just to have a policy. So bottom line is I see this as a farang having to come up with an extra 60,000 to 100,000 baht per year just to be allowed to stay in Thailand and not get anything for it except a worthless piece of paper stating that they have "insurance coverage". 

This brings us back to square one. There won't really be any money going to the hospitals from the insurance companies and the government will have to blame somebody else for their incompetence. 

Not "allowed" to leave Thailand???  Where can I sign up for that? :cheesy: