BANGKOK
rooster59

Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

4 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

I don't believe for a minute that this will actually help the financially strapped hospitals. I do believe that it's designed to help the insurance companies increase their bank accounts. If it is actually true that farangs are at fault for the hospitals problems (which I highly doubt) all they would have to do is send a patient's passport number to immigration on the day of any medical procedure being done and immigration would not let anyone leave Thailand who had an outstanding medical bill where the hospital hadn't given them clearance.

After reading through some of the provided insurance company policies on what wasn't covered, I began to wonder if they would cover anything at all. The insurance companies have so many loop holes that I don't think they will be paying out on many claims. 

This leaves the farang to not only pay for a huge deductible or the whole hospital bill but on top of that he/she would have to come up with the annual policy amount of 60,000 to 100,000 baht (depending on age) just to have a policy. So bottom line is I see this as a farang having to come up with an extra 60,000 to 100,000 baht per year just to be allowed to stay in Thailand and not get anything for it except a worthless piece of paper stating that they have "insurance coverage". 

This brings us back to square one. There won't really be any money going to the hospitals from the insurance companies and the government will have to blame somebody else for their incompetence. 

Not "allowed" to leave Thailand???  Where can I sign up for that? :cheesy:

4 hours ago, bheard said:

"I still find this extremely hard to believe as the hospital will never let you leave until paid in full. How do you rack up a bill and then walk away?"

An easy way to do it (as a mate of mine did recently) is to die.
His good woman had to cough up lots of dosh as he'd been in a govt hosp for more than a month getting treatment for cancer, no insurance, then she had to fund his cremation as well.

Sent from my SM-T385 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How much to final barbeques cost, anyway?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, burner2014 said:

you can still renew even if you are 90 years old.

At a GREATLY increased premium.

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

That doesn't accord with my experience.

In fact on my last extension I was forced to take a 2 month extension as my seasoning money arrived one day late to satisfy the 400k requirement for a marriage extension, previously a retirement extension, as they didn't want any glitches on the paperwork being sent to Bangkok.

My bank account showed around 100k prior to the deposit of my seasoning money, and there were no repercussions.... In all 4 of my extensions (3 x retirement) my account has shown far less than the 400k you state has to be maintained prior to the seasoning period.

I am talking about RETIREMENT extensions.

I am talking about the NEW RULES which are indeed in effect. 

I was not talking about MARRIAGE extensions.

I was not talking about HISTORICAL retirement extensions.

The currently in effect rules for retirement extensions are as I described. Immigration is INDEED forcing people not to spend their money if they hope to get future extensions. In some cases such as Jomtien where they are checking that the 800K is still there three months AFTER the extension, the understanding is that failing to show that will result in making the current extension VOID. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, burner2014 said:

That's a big issue of the insurance world anyways. But it's not 100% true. I asked this 4 months ago at a Thai Insurance Company and this was the answer:

"It is because XXX only accepts new applicants up to 70 years old, but there is no age limit for renewal clients. It means that if you apply for our health insurance before 70 years old, you can still renew even if you are 90 years old."

So choosing a health insurance when you still 50-60 years old is important to be insured when you 90.

I suppose I might find insurance at a price that I cannot afford. I did buy medical insurance when I first came at age 64 1/2. The second year I was told the premium would be going up as I had entered a new age bracket. And of course, having had 5 by-passes in 2005 anything having to due to my heart or circulatory system was excluded from coverage as a “pre-existing condition”. I had a heart attack here in 2015 with placement of a stent and two angioplasties. I paid my 110,000 baht bill, thank you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, but many expats can't get an insurance because of their age.

And underline illnesses not covered.why is the 800000 in our bank account not taken as a deposit for any unfortunate illness? Or make it mandatory to have 400000 in you bank to cover illness?

52 minutes ago, rabas said:

Absurd point of view, how can a retiree retire if he/she never worked?

Anyway here are the official 'expat' numbers for Thailand.

Foreign Expats by regions 2010[30]
Region Population Percentage
Total population 2,581,141 100.00
Unknown 2,147 0.08
Central Asia 2,749 0.11
Western Asia 6,634 0.26
Africa 8,166 0.32
Central and South America 10,608 0.41
Australia and Oceania 13,233 0.51
Northern America 46,279 1.79
South Asia 78,454 3.04
Stateless 117,315 4.54
Europe 200,564 7.77
East Asia 249,204 9.65
Southeast Asia 1,845,788

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

informal noun
noun: expat; plural noun: expats
  1. 1.
    a person who lives outside their native country.
    "a British expat who's been living in Amsterdam for 14 years"

It's short for EXPATRIATE

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

It's short for EXPATRIATE

I thought immediately of the Daleks and their "exterminate" - so perhaps the IOs are Thai Daleks who go around saying "expatriate"?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, phetpeter said:

I find it amazing, how many expats think that going to a private hospital, for most problems is the best thing todo? The first thing they do is ask you what type of room would they like? 10k on the bill. Yes it needs a couple of stitches. and a couple of paracetamols, plus an injection of paracetamol. an overnight stay to make sure you don't come down with a fever or the stitches bust! and what would you like for dinner, please make sure a friend stays with you, but, we will charge for a nurse to come in every 4 hours to check you BP. smile and leave again. That will be 20K...cash or card?

Government hospital, clean, stitch. told to go buy paracetamols at 7/11 (10baht), pop in each day to change dressing, check its healing nicely. Whats that you paying SS? Free. Not paying then that will be 200 baht! 

For me, paying SS, 5 years ago Heart attack, Government hospital, every 3 months check up tablets, every six months Cat Scan, xray, ecg etc. Once a year Cancer tag checks. all other other checks and treatment, eyes stomach etc. FREE!

Treated with respect, and many times pushed to the front, as the only foreigner. When stayed in hospital private room 200 baht per night.

No one smiled at me when they took my blood pressure. 😢

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tigerfeet said:

And underline illnesses not covered.why is the 800000 in our bank account not taken as a deposit for any unfortunate illness? Or make it mandatory to have 400000 in you bank to cover illness?

I think the 800K is taken under concideration, but as the non-oa visas don't require any 800k in the bank, they want some sort of security/insurance from people who use these kind of visas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

There is also another way - you can go to your wife,gf,extended family etc and say "If you value my presence here please pay my health insurance. Your government won't allow me to stay here without it".

...and suddenly, you could hear a pin drop..😁

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, the guest said:

It should apply to all visas. 

Why? Many expats are already using the 'money in the bank' option.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

...and suddenly, you could hear a pin drop..😁

You should have heard this as soon as your marriage papers where stamped at the amphur.

5 hours ago, burner2014 said:

Bt40,000 outpatient coverage???
This would be the worse. This means you need to buy a much more expansive coverage plan than you might need just for this visa. I am not interested in outpatient coverage and still forced to buy it?
This will shake out a lot of foreigners living here. As if the outpatient medical services would be the ones which have outstanding bills. No doctor treats you "outpatient" if you don't show your credit card or health insurance. It's all about emergencies (in terms of "open bills")

Exactly...which makes me wonder if the insurance companies couls also be behind pushing this crap

• Like 1