Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

rooster59

12 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

In one of the comments of the ThaiExaminer article it mentions "The Thai government has made it official. All foreigners living in Thailand on Non Immigrant O-A type (Long Stay) visas will now be required to have health insurance cover to a set criteria. The move was endorsed by the Thai cabinet on April 2nd and takes effect under Thailand’s extensive 1979 Immigration Act. It now means that health insurance is compulsory and it will be required on all future visa applications and extensions at immigration offices for this type of visa and extensions."

Did you read the OP were it specifically says only OA visa's,

"As of today, the mandatory health insurance requirement has only been proposed for Non-Immigrant O-A visas and not for other visa types or extensions of stay."

The Thai Examiner says the same thing, only for new OA visa.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/05/14/health-insurance-foreigners-thailand-thai-government-visa-retirement-compulsory-foreign-men/

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, markpbfree said:

I'm really curious to know how this is going to affect people who are here and are retired, but are on an extension of stay, not a Visa. There is a difference between a retirement Visa and an extension of stay. they still have not clarified how this would affect retirees who are here on an extension of stay. They do actually have a marriage visa and a retirement Visa, which are different. Does anybody really know?

Quote from the OP

"As of today, the mandatory health insurance requirement has only been proposed for Non-Immigrant O-A visas and not for other visa types or extensions of stay."

38 minutes ago, Desmondo69 said:

I know of a Scotsman that gave a false name then jumped out of the window at Bandon hospital after a bike accident .leaving a 125000 bill...he’s still driving about..all adds up.

And there you have it as a bad guy causing trouble who should be kicked out and has zero right to be here. Making us look bad. Do you happen to know what type of visa the guy is on?

On 8/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, tracker1 said:

I would have thought with the millions of tourists flooding Thailand that they would be more of a medical problem then a few hundred expats living here !

It would be fair to say the majority of expat here are elderly. What do they do when they inevitably need health assistance? Travel insurance should be mandatory for all international flights and people with long stay visas should have health care.

18 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Some one woke up on the NASTY side of the bed today...

No not at all. Just what does everyone want ?? You are old and cruddy, riddled with un-insurable illnesses and want a free ride . Sure !!

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Did you read the OP were it specifically say only OA visa's,

I did.  

Thinking outside the box would lend me to believe that what you and others are implying, i.e. that this is not going to include those already here on O-A visa "extensions of stay" makes no sense.  
Hopefully, on the 22nd they will make it clear(er).

What I read from the other article is more compelling IMO:

"The Thai government has made it official. All foreigners living in Thailand on Non Immigrant O-A type (Long Stay) visas will now be required to have health insurance cover to a set criteria. The move was endorsed by the Thai cabinet on April 2nd and takes effect under Thailand’s extensive 1979 Immigration Act. It now means that health insurance is compulsory and it will be required on all future visa applications and extensions at immigration offices for this type of visa and extensions. "
And
"The Health Department Support services boss explained that compulsory health insurance would now be a requirement for new Non Immigrant type O-A visa applications and renewals or extensions of stay
And

"Under the new rules, which already have the weight of law, foreigners applying for a new Non Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visas or extension of visa to stay in Thailand must submit evidence of health insurance. The new criteria also allows for a requirement that foreigners show that appropriate health insurance has been in place for the duration of the period since the last renewal once the new regime comes fully into effect. In the future, any lapse in the health insurance cover requirement will be considered to be grounds for a termination of the visa.

15 hours ago, lclark0751 said:

I think one of us is very confused.  I have an O-A Retirement visa and it does require 800K in a thai bank account (or proof of equivalent monthly income) as a condition of getting an annual extension.  And when I applied for the visa in the States before I came to Thailand, I had to include a copy of my most recent bank statement showing USD equivalent to 800Kbaht in the bank, plus a letter from the bank verifying that balance.

Guess that I'm the confused one. lol  But my understanding was that you don't have to bring the 800K to a Thai bank.

23 hours ago, nodomino said:

I’ve been living in Thailand for 13 years. I have no idea what the Thai government is going to come up with to solve their nonexistent insurance problem. I throwing in the towel. Im leaving.

Hmmm one less expat with pre-existing illnesses to deal with mate. Sorry but everyone needs to get real and stop moaning. You are a long term guest. No one owes you anything.

17 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

I did.  

Thinking outside the box would lend me to believe that what you and others are implying, i.e. that this is not going to include those already here on O-A visa "extensions of stay" makes no sense.  
Hopefully, on the 22nd they will make it clear(er).

What I read from the other article is more compelling IMO:

"The Thai government has made it official. All foreigners living in Thailand on Non Immigrant O-A type (Long Stay) visas will now be required to have health insurance cover to a set criteria. The move was endorsed by the Thai cabinet on April 2nd and takes effect under Thailand’s extensive 1979 Immigration Act. It now means that health insurance is compulsory and it will be required on all future visa applications and extensions at immigration offices for this type of visa and extensions. "
And
"The Health Department Support services boss explained that compulsory health insurance would now be a requirement for new Non Immigrant type O-A visa applications and renewals or extensions of stay
And

"Under the new rules, which already have the weight of law, foreigners applying for a new Non Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visas or extension of visa to stay in Thailand must submit evidence of health insurance. The new criteria also allows for a requirement that foreigners show that appropriate health insurance has been in place for the duration of the period since the last renewal once the new regime comes fully into effect. In the future, any lapse in the health insurance cover requirement will be considered to be grounds for a termination of the visa.

Do you have a link for the article you are quoting ? It appears you may be quoting an article that was written back in may when the information was not clear. Since then, the proposal has been put on hold and the new announcement is about to be made and appears to be very clear on only OA visa.

The announcement hasnt been made yet, so any information is from the older (now irreverent) announcement.

16 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Guess that I'm the confused one. lol  But my understanding was that you don't have to bring the 800K to a Thai bank.

Why ask a bunch of guys just as confused as you. Go see a professional for the correct info. Makes sense - right ??

1 minute ago, Melbun said:

Why ask a bunch of guys just as confused as you. Go see a professional for the correct info. Makes sense - right ??

I didn't ask. But as you obviously are in the knowhow, why don't you inform us?

23 hours ago, nodomino said:

I’ve been living in Thailand for 13 years. I have no idea what the Thai government is going to come up with to solve their nonexistent insurance problem. I throwing in the towel. Im leaving.

No telling what they are going to come up with to solve any of their problems and come up with something they will.   

The direction this country is headed is disconcerting, adding to the already existing changes and one (with choices and options) starts to weigh the value of living here. 
For some, throwing in the towel is a sound capital and wellbeing choice. 

On 8/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, tracker1 said:

I would have thought with the millions of tourists flooding Thailand that they would be more of a medical problem then a few hundred expats living here !

"a few hundred expats living here"??

Google "how many expats are living in Thailand".

And it concerns only Long Stay O-A obtained from home. It's not the most common retirement visa.

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Do you have a link for the article you are quoting ? It appears you may be quoting an article that was written back in may when the information was not clear. Since then, the proposal has been put on hold and the new announcement is about to be made and appears to be very clear on only OA visa.

The announcement hasnt been made yet, so any information is from the older (now irreverent) announcement.

The last line in this OP doesn't seem accurate regarding the extensions of stay:  As of today, the mandatory health insurance requirement has only been proposed for Non-Immigrant O-A visas and not for other visa types or extensions of stay.

Yes, it was from May.  

The article

1 hour ago, Melbun said:

Doesn't make sense. Tourist have travel insurance. It's the non paying expats that are the problem. Don't know why all this moaning about compulsory health insurance. Every country demands it - to my knowledge. Just a few geezers that want to ride on the back of a foreign country for nix. Get over it and pay up - OR disappear back to you abandoned home land.

Travel Insurance does lot carry liability for quite a few activities specially in Asia ! One has to read the fine print carefully !!!!

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

It still just about Long Stay O-A visas obtained from your home country. So what's the problem? 

Think about that.  Someone applying for a O-A in home country requires mandatory insurance to live in Thailand, then after the expiration of that "visa", they no longer require mandatory insurance for an "extension of stay" while continuing to live in Thailand.  
What has happened to the so called burden on the medical system that required the insurance for the visa?  It no long applies to the extension of stay?  It's the same person, same country, same burden on the medical system.  
They are lacking in common sense most of the time, but if they don't announce it being mandatory for extensions of stay, THAT will top the makes no sense list.  ????  
Here's a fun prediction.  The required insurance for getting the visa will probably be cheaper (lure you in) and the requirement and costs for the extension more expensive.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:44 AM, holy cow cm said:

I still find this extremely hard to believe as the hospital will never let you leave until paid in full. How do you rack up a bill and then walk away?

All we can do is wait and see what comes out and how it is written. Not going to speculate, but I have my feeling there is more to it than that..

I was surprised a few months ago when I was in the Philippines with a sore throat which blew up into a hospital visit and surgery to do biopsy that turned out to be throat cancer and they would not let me leave until the huge bill was paid for, they would hold me there and feed me and continue to charge me a daily rate. Finally I was able to borrow money from a good friend and get out. There is no way to make loan or anything else to facilitate getting out.

11 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

Think about that.  Someone applying for a O-A in home country requires mandatory insurance to live in Thailand, then after the expiration of that "visa", they no longer require mandatory insurance for an "extension of stay" while continuing to live in Thailand.  
What has happened to the so called burden on the medical system that required the insurance for the visa?  It no long applies to the extension of stay?  It's the same person, same country, same burden on the medical system.  
They are lacking in common sense most of the time, but if they don't announce it being mandatory for extensions of stay, THAT will top the makes no sense list.  ????  
Here's a fun prediction.  The required insurance for getting the visa will probably be cheaper (lure you in) and the requirement and costs for the extension more expensive.

You never know what happens in the future,but at the moment it's about Long Stay O-A. If you apply for the O-X visa, you need medical insurance. Why worry about things we haven't got a clue about? 

Most decent honest ex pats living here live comfortable, paying bills, shopping, buying cars, renting/buying a home for Thai partner paying VAT on goods an asset to Thailand, having to go AWAY because of age and refusal of Insurance companies to insure.......it is getting sick,   Slap me if I am wrong but most hospital unpaid bill are the result of TOURISTS, overstayers,  NOT the 90 day/ yearly stayers.

The OA visa is a "long stay" visa for 1 year. Then the holder goes home. There are no plans for compulsory insurance for expats.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How about opening the governmental insurance schemes to expats?

I would imagine the Tb4,500/month I still pay in Medicare premiums for coverage I cannot use in Thailand would pay for good insurance vs the 30 baht scheme.

My understanding is that some such is already there for any who get in the social security system. Don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Hell, even charge a 20 % co-pay like under Medicare.

18 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Travel Insurance is only available in the UK if you have been there the previous 6 months. My previous one was Annual valid for 90 Day trips, after 65 it dropped too 60 Days. My brother over 70 struggles to get 30 days now.

Yes I've seen that when trying to find insurance in Oz. I keep looking until I find one that will cover me for my age and the time I'm here.  My current insurance company is based in Japan, World2Cover. All done on the internet.

I am 70 and living in Bangkok with my wife since 1999 in our own condominium in the city.  She has dual Thai/foreign nationality (so do our children), while I have been staying here on a non-immigrant "O" visa which is renewable every year.   Last year I heard about this new requirement so I have been searching for a Thai insurance company who is willing to offer me health insurance coverage for several months but there appears to be no Thai insurance companies willing to offer medical plans for seniors 70 and above.  So, unless there is a new arrangement made between the Thai government and the insurance industry here, does it mean I have to move out of Thailand since I would not be able to get my "O" visa extended?  I have asked the one of the officers at Chaeng Watthana Immigration Division 1 HQ personally about 2 months ago and she said there is still no requirement for the medical insurance coverage and that it is not needed for my next application for visa extension.  I also asked her about my applying for a "permanent resident" visa for which I already qualified by she said it does make sense to spend about Baht 100,000 to apply for such a "permanent resident" visa when, after just one trip overseas, upon return to Thailand I have to apply for an extension to my visa and pay the Baht 1,900 extension fee plus the Baht 3,800 "multiple re-entry" permit.  She said the permanent resident visa is just a waste of money for me since I travel out of Thailand multiple times each year.  This situation is a real pain in the neck for people like me.

23 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The post you are quoting outlines the new, current, requirements for a retirement visa extension. In force from 1 July 2019 I believe. Previously you could remove the 800k from your bank as soon as the extension was granted, but had to seed it for 3 months before the next one.

Marriage extensions have different rules for lump sums and seeding, which you apparently didn't meet anyway, and luckily was granted an extension until you did.

Thank you for the clarification, I must confess I was not aware of the new regulations. However my Marriage extension was eventually issued in June.

Yes I was lucky they didn't send me away to start over again with a new Non-O visa application, but they also lined their coffers with another 1,900 Baht for it, when I would have happily paid 500B for a one day overstay solution.

How do the new regulations affect the seed money for a Marriage Ext?

On 8/18/2019 at 8:55 AM, burner2014 said:

Bt40,000 outpatient coverage???
This would be the worse. This means you need to buy a much more expansive coverage plan than you might need just for this visa. I am not interested in outpatient coverage and still forced to buy it?
This will shake out a lot of foreigners living here. As if the outpatient medical services would be the ones which have outstanding bills. No doctor treats you "outpatient" if you don't show your credit card or health insurance. It's all about emergencies (in terms of "open bills")

Dude its like 2k baht at the bank chill out

Archived