Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

rooster59

On 8/22/2019 at 8:38 AM, Angry Dragon said:

in which case you need to have sufficient funds to cover hospital expenses.  if you don't have those, then hospitals should simply deny entry.

Did you give this comment some thought before you typed it out? Let people die in the waiting rooms then throw their bodies in a dumpster? That's exactly what you are suggesting and I've seen this barbaric practice first hand in the Philippines, where someone died of a burst appendix in the waiting room as he didn't have money to pay for emergency treatment. This is one of thousands of sad stories, until the current president made this practice illegal. Now the hospitals will pay dearly if that happens.

Even having insurance is no guarantee the hospital will get their money as Insurance companies try their damndest to find loopholes not to pay. I'm not saying this is wrong - insurance companies are businesses, not charities.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, tropo said:

Did you give this comment some thought before you typed it out? Let people die in the waiting rooms then throw their bodies in a dumpster? That's exactly what you are suggesting and I've seen this barbaric practice first hand in the Philippines, where someone died of a burst appendix in the waiting room as he didn't have money to pay for emergency treatment. This is one of thousands of sad stories, until the current president made this practice illegal. Now the hospitals will pay dearly if that happens.

Even having insurance is no guarantee the hospital will get their money as Insurance companies try their damndest to find loopholes not to pay. I'm not saying this is wrong - insurance companies are businesses, not charities.

Oh I 100% agree . The last sentence especially. Try suggesting to Thaidreamers and others who think maybe they can get a free ride on the backs of their host nation. Of course it's a business. They are in the healthcare business.

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Yes,my point was that an insurance is needed. Not expensive for a Thai person, but also not expensive for a Westerner going somewhere on holiday. 

Travel insurance is a very different beast to health insurance. And priced very differently too.

Think about the 30,0000,000 or whatever tourist coming to Thailand for their 2 or 4 week holiday. Maybe 1% might have a claim at some point. I've never had a claim in all my years of travelling touch wood. Compare that to the 100,000 western foreigners (rounded numbers but close enough) staying long term i.e they consider Thailand their home and will be here until they go up in smoke at the local Wat. The claims will likely be 90% plus of insured members over time. And a good chance their claims will be for life threatening conditions, not the usual tourist cuts, scratches and occasional broken bones which they can patch up and send them on their way for follow up treatment back home.

It's ALL about the RISK i.e Likelihood multiplied by Injury Level (in this case the medical condition being treated) to keep it simple.

Google Risk Matrix - there are dozens of them.

33 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

The Youtube guy JC (retirecheapjc) just posted a video that the medical insurance requirement for O-A visas has not been implemented and put on the back burner. No idea about his source. 

He is on good terms with his insurer Pacific Cross (has posted video interviews with them in the past) so maybe it comes from them.

25 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

He is on good terms with his insurer Pacific Cross (has posted video interviews with them in the past) so maybe it comes from them.

If he does have such a good source, he didn't say it has been scrapped entirely. He said for a few months and may be fully scrapped after that, and maybe not. Thrilling. 

You have a point. I think  they are looking for ways to force everyone to purchase  insurance  from a local Thai company.
As an OA visa has to be purchased in the applicant's home country, how could they force them to buy insurance from a Thai company? How does it work with the OX visa?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If he does have such a good source, he didn't say it has been scrapped entirely. He said for a few months and may be fully scrapped after that, and maybe not. Thrilling. 

Terrific !! so that gives plenty of time for people to decide what they want to do and or leave. OR to keep chewing on their nails and wait for some other clanger to be incorporated. Who knows.

18 hours ago, Melbun said:

A British fellow is on top of the world in Thailand and showing friends his lovely Sunday roast beef and Yorkshire pudding - all for 200thb. The following week after a few symptoms and visit to outpatients dept of a large hospital in Thailand.

Perhaps you can tell us the name of the restaurant so we can avoid it in future. 

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Perhaps you can tell us the name of the restaurant so we can avoid it in future. 

Not nice mate. Be careful - it can easily happen to the people that don't have sympathy and laugh at the misfortune of others. Karma !!

On 8/18/2019 at 9:26 AM, Vacuum said:

Yes, but many expats can't get an insurance because of their age.

the gov should cover the insurance for older folks , of course charge for the insurance .

27 minutes ago, muffy said:

the gov should cover the insurance for older folks , of course charge for the insurance .

I guess one way over this dilemma is for older folk to be covered under a group policy. BUT to prevent these older farts frivolously over using the medical system, impose a substantial surcharge after a certain (minimal) number of visits. Something like non claim bonuses. Where you accrue merit points for non use.

Brilliant. huh ?

32 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Not nice mate. Be careful - it can easily happen to the people that don't have sympathy and laugh at the misfortune of others. Karma !!

You're missing the irony in my comment. You seem to be actively cheerleading the misfortune of others if you seriously believe that a long established expat, perhaps with house and family shouldn't be allowed to remain here if they fall foul of the proposed new insurance regulations. Your contributions to this thread are quite condemnatory of the older foreigner who you claim (with zero evidence) to be overburdening the Thai health system, just as they are for those who have the affront to live here on a budget.

34 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

You're missing the irony in my comment. You seem to be actively cheerleading the misfortune of others if you seriously believe that a long established expat, perhaps with house and family shouldn't be allowed to remain here if they fall foul of the proposed new insurance regulations. Your contributions to this thread are quite condemnatory of the older foreigner who you claim (with zero evidence) to be overburdening the Thai health system, just as they are for those who have the affront to live here on a budget.

Oh, it seems free speech is causing consternation in you and others. But the Thai's are implementing this requirement for a reason (their reason). Can't you take a broad hint. I am quite ambivalent to the goings on. Just my observations. No need to react, pull silly faces or expect others to weep with you. You chose to live in a foreign country - no one twisted your arm. I am certainly learning a lot about the mentality of expats living in a foreign nation. It's a real education. Thank you all.

1 hour ago, Melbun said:

I guess one way over this dilemma is for older folk to be covered under a group policy. BUT to prevent these older farts frivolously over using the medical system, impose a substantial surcharge after a certain (minimal) number of visits. Something like non claim bonuses. Where you accrue merit points for non use.

Brilliant. huh ?

Should be like a social security scheme, no? You (you) should be covering the older permanent retirees so they can enjoy their final years in peace and harmony while supporting their families and loved ones, educating their children and bettering Thailand.

When your time comes, assuming you do not croak or get croaked first, you can enjoy the same benefits. If you are only a part time visitor taking advantage of the country without contributing, perhaps you could pay double. That way, according to Thai karma, you will not come back as a frog.

8 minutes ago, rabas said:

Should be like a social security scheme, no? You (you) should be covering the older permanent retirees so they can enjoy their final years in peace and harmony while supporting their families and loved ones, educating their children and bettering Thailand.

When your time comes, assuming you do not croak or get croaked first, you can enjoy the same benefits. If you are only a part time visitor taking advantage of the country without contributing, perhaps you could pay double. That way, according to Thai karma, you will not come back as a frog.

No point attacking me or wishing me misfortune. The millions of 2 - 4 week millionaires are contributing far more than older, largely infirm folk that (even though you won't admit it) stand to bankrupt the Thai medical system.

Now lets see. Thirty million

tourists annually - each will spend an average of say $2000 usd (min). That's a whopping 6.4 billion dollars. Probably more if you "like" the comfort of Thai women ????

Your contributions to this thread are quite condemnatory of the older foreigner who you claim (with zero evidence) to be overburdening the Thai health system, just as they are for those who have the affront to live here on a budget.

I see them as more patronising than that - the wicked uninsured Westerner is ripping off the poor hard-working innocent Thais. It's a variation of the Noble Savage thesis

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

I see them as more patronising than that - the wicked uninsured Westerner is ripping off the poor hard-working innocent Thais. It's a variation of the Noble Savage thesis

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

Yes !! But not noble - positively wicked!! And they are all accomplished at turning on the crocodile tears very well. "It is a human right  bla bla bla".

30 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Yes !! But not noble - positively wicked!! And they are all accomplished at turning on the crocodile tears very well. "It is a human right  bla bla bla".

Your argument would carry more weight if you realised that it's the Thais whom I characterised in that way

16 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Your argument would carry more weight if you realised that it's the Thais whom I characterised in that way

Oh I see - cunning twisted logic. Glad I undid the tick of approval. Ever thought of using plain English instead of ThaiRabbit logic. ......."ahhh what's up Doc" ?

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

As an OA visa has to be purchased in the applicant's home country, how could they force them to buy insurance from a Thai company? How does it work with the OX visa?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The OX visa is being replaced with the Buffalo visa. All farang will transition to it at their next extension of stay application.

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How does it work with the OX visa?

The OX is a kettle of fish all of its own, I applied and failed the application :+)

Its not really for for people in other countries choosing it as an option because to "qualify" you need the insurance from the specific Thai suppliers as well as a Thai bank account that has had 3 million baht in it for a minimum of 1 year. Yet you can only apply in your "home" country.

It was originally touted as a long term "medical visa", its one of the most confusing visas I have come 
across.

4 hours ago, muffy said:

The Thai government does cover older folks who are citizens of their own country. The government does not cover people on temporary permissions of stay. What government does? Some countries have a bilateral agreement for medical care , I think Australia and the UK does for tourists but Thailand does not.

48 pages, and counting, is what this thread is all about. INSURANCE.

2 hours ago, rabas said:

How many farang are 'bettering' Thailand. Not too many I suspect. They are here for their own (possibly selfish) reasons. 'Bettering' Thailand would be low down on the list is my guess.

6 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

How many farang are 'bettering' Thailand. Not too many I suspect. They are here for their own (possibly selfish) reasons. 'Bettering' Thailand would be low down on the list is my guess.

I am in fit's of laughter. OMG bettering Thailand's beer/ bar  industry maybe. The tourists are certainly doing a much better job to the tune of at least 3 billion dollars annually.

On 8/18/2019 at 4:21 AM, holy cow cm said:

So it is connected to the TM 30, and this is why we need to be tracked under the criminal bad guys and national security. Masterminding a plan to do a runner on your hospital bill. 

would be really interesting to hear what they really can do if u dont pay cause u dont have cash...maybe offer a payment plan...i think people on retirement visas should be eligable  for  free health care just like thais ..maybe charge them a 1000 euro when giving them the 1y.visa and that should cover the lot

Archived