Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

10 hours ago, Traubert said:

It is however for 21 other countries, not only the TV favourite targets, India and China. Malta, San Marino and Vanuatu haven't felt the wrath of the TV pitchfork mob yet.

The coalition of the willing. You forgot Poland! 

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have thought with the millions of tourists flooding Thailand that they would be more of a medical problem then a few hundred expats living here !

Yes, but many expats can't get an insurance because of their age.

I still find this extremely hard to believe as the hospital will never let you leave until paid in full. How do you rack up a bill and then walk away?   All we can do is wait and see what

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I was taken by a hospital to an ATM machine quite literally. If I said I couldn't pay no idea how that would have ended.

Well if surgeon came to the ATM with a scapel guess you would have founded out.

8 hours ago, dcnx said:

Yep. And you can’t act like no one warned you about it. This has been coming for a while.

You know, I remember you made a comment on some thread I think a few months ago, saying something within the lines of: "within 5 years half of you guys will not be in Thailand".

I do remember your comment so clearly, but cannot locate it.

The way things are going, I think it might happen much sooner than you predicted.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

It was published somewhere but i cannot find it, however they managed to get all the figures wrong !

Yes, they initially cited 38 million Non O-A visa holders! When it became clear this was the total number of tourists they revised it to 80,000, and who knows if they conflated Non O's into this number too. Everyone knows how error prone the government is with big numbers, and it inspires zero confidence in the case they're presenting. Anecdotal evidence by hospital staff however suggests that most unpaid bills are those generated by Thais (who are way harder to track down to a registered address than retirees), Asians from neighbouring countries, and much lower in the list perhaps short stay tourists. If hospitals are unable to track down an expat and subject them to legal proceedings for non-payment (just as any restaurant or other business would) then this just comes down to poor housekeeping. 

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I thought that the plan was to increase the airport PSC from 700 baht to 800 baht as of 1 October 2019, and that the resulting 3.8 BILLION baht generated annually would go to the MoH to cover the ~ 200 million baht unrecovered annual medical expenses incurred by foreigners, with a tidy 3.6 BILLION baht left over for, well, stuff.

https://morning-news.bectero.com/economy/24-May-2019/144181

Who says they can't do both to ripp off their visitors?

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

What is PSC? I don't pay anything at the airport nor does anyone else I know! We used to pay an exit fee of 500 Baht but that was years ago.

That's because it's included in the ticket price now. It was 700 baht last time I checked. Easy to slap on an extra 100 baht.

20 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

If you are going to advertise as a tourist destination then you are bound to have a few unwanted costs. However compared to what comes in it's a drop in the ocean.

Also they don't advertise how dangerous the country is! 

Most of the injuries/deaths will have been caused by a Thai or Thailand

• Like 1
21 hours ago, tracker1 said:

I would have thought with the millions of tourists flooding Thailand that they would be more of a medical problem then a few hundred expats living here !

Sensible tourists have travel insurance. Expats that don't have enough money for the excessive rates of Thai insurance, or are too old, don't have insurance.

Old people, like many expats, are far more likely to require expensive medical treatment.

Personally, I think Thai hospitals should not have to do more than emergency treatment if they don't get paid. Seems though, that they won't let people with fatal conditions die, now, so it's on their own head if they do keep treating them without any prospect of payment.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I was taken by a hospital to an ATM machine quite literally. If I said I couldn't pay no idea how that would have ended.

I'm curious. Did you have travel/ any medical insurance? If not, do you think Thai hospitals should have treated you for free?

Obviously you did pay, but that question applies to any farang that enters LOS.

I'm quite astounded by the number of tourists that don't have travel insurance and expect other people to pay for their treatment.

• Thanks 1

Seems the 800k deposited in bank account would more than cover the 400,000 inpatient coverage. DUH Much less many expats have far more in their Thai bank accounts than the minimum 800k. Obviously it's a scam to extort money from retired expats. No wonder so many are leaving for Vietnam. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm really curious to know how this is going to affect people who are here and are retired, but are on an extension of stay, not a Visa. There is a difference between a retirement Visa and an extension of stay. they still have not clarified how this would affect retirees who are here on an extension of stay. They do actually have a marriage visa and a retirement Visa, which are different. Does anybody really know?