Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

2 minutes ago, Melbun said:

But many say you won't be covered under NHS (unless you privately fund) or you go back well ahead of time to re-qualify

And I know quite a few expats who have gone back to UK, not having seen their GP for years, and said to him 'Oh I have a pain here' and are not asked about their past few years. Off to hospital they go. OK, a permanent/relative's address, and a UK bank account, and a lost passport would help.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have thought with the millions of tourists flooding Thailand that they would be more of a medical problem then a few hundred expats living here !

Yes, but many expats can't get an insurance because of their age.

I still find this extremely hard to believe as the hospital will never let you leave until paid in full. How do you rack up a bill and then walk away?   All we can do is wait and see what

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And I know quite a few expats who have gone back to UK, not having seen their GP for years, and said to him 'Oh I have a pain here' and are not asked about their past few years. Off to hospital they go. OK, a permanent/relative's address, and a UK bank account, and a lost passport would help.

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Almost worth a "holiday" to the UK every so often to touch base with the doctor about a pain here and there :). Just to keep current.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Neither is Thailand hence this discussion about insurance.  The people who call for entry into the Thai system is based on what criterion? 

Can't afford private so the Thai taxpayer should subsidise? 

Have these people ever travelled outside farang enclaves and seen how many Thais live. Most haven't got two-bit to rub together and struggle to buy their kids school uniforms. You really expect them to support subsidised health care for foreigners? 

Keep dreaming! 

Think the multi-million yearly tourists are putting a lot of dosh into the LOS system that never see the inside of a LOS hozzy.....

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Neither is Thailand hence this discussion about insurance.  The people who call for entry into the Thai system is based on what criterion? 

Can't afford private so the Thai taxpayer should subsidise? 

Have these people ever travelled outside farang enclaves and seen how many Thais live. Most haven't got two-bit to rub together and struggle to buy their kids school uniforms. You really expect them to support subsidised health care for foreigners? 

Keep dreaming! 

Not sure if you are just trolling............. but yourreply does not match my post...

• Confused 1
2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Never been asked to show a passport (I understand the lost passport tactic 🙂).

I make a point of calling in to see my doctor (or 'well nurse') on any of my visits. Just had a hernia referral and at the hospital there is a self check in process where one of the questions is "have you lived in the UK for at least 6 months"....       1956 I started living there so that was a "yes".

1 hour ago, transam said:

Think the multi-million yearly tourists are putting a lot of dosh into the LOS system that never see the inside of a LOS hozzy.....

That's not the point. Expats is the key word. Expats  are the ones flapping around enjoying the spoils of Thailand and a hand out because they are too old to be insurable.

Edited by Melbun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
24 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Never been asked to show a passport (I understand the lost passport tactic 🙂).

I make a point of calling in to see my doctor (or 'well nurse') on any of my visits. Just had a hernia referral and at the hospital there is a self check in process where one of the questions is "have you lived in the UK for at least 6 months"....       1956 I started living there so that was a "yes".

Oh dear !! A little white lie OR a big porkie.

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Melbun said:

That's not the point. Expats is the key word. Expats  are the ones flapping around enjoying the spoils of Thailand and a hand out because they are too old to be insurable.

And there are no Thais in farangland getting taken care of eh...?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Melbun said:

Absolute nonsense- no foreigner is taking the <deleted> on Thailand-except possibly tourists who come in for 30 days on exempt or tourist Visas and get into accidents- have no travel insurance and end up in the hospital and can't pay the bills.

In 50 years- I do not know one long term resident who cannot pay for their medical care and they can also be insured- The premium is hig  but that is because there is a lack ofr any comptetive pricing as the Thai Government limits the number of insurance companies.  If anything- it is the Thai system as it relates to foreigners taking the <deleted>.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Absolute nonsense- no foreigner is taking the <deleted> on Thailand-except possibly tourists who come in for 30 days on exempt or tourist Visas and get into accidents- have no travel insurance and end up in the hospital and can't pay the bills.

In 50 years- I do not know one long term resident who cannot pay for their medical care and they can also be insured- The premium is hig  but that is because there is a lack ofr any comptetive pricing as the Thai Government limits the number of insurance companies.  If anything- it is the Thai system as it relates to foreigners taking the <deleted>.

You are in their country buster - suck it up. You are not a citizen - just a long term guest. Keep dreamin' Thaidream. Oh and BTW "you do not know one long term resident that hasn't paid" ??? Wow you must be really popular and are privy to the business of ALL long term residents eh ??

• Sad 1