Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Your post was obnoxious. End of. The vast majority of people in the world don't meet your artificial standard of funding for the only type of living that you think is acceptable.

Oh excuse me for having an opinion and expressing it on a public forum for expats. Huh say that again ?? The vast majority of people in the world  #####..... Wow. Anyhow the end has come for you. Another one I won't bother with.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have thought with the millions of tourists flooding Thailand that they would be more of a medical problem then a few hundred expats living here !

Yes, but many expats can't get an insurance because of their age.

I still find this extremely hard to believe as the hospital will never let you leave until paid in full. How do you rack up a bill and then walk away?   All we can do is wait and see what

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm assuming you were a previously banned member coming back for another go.

I didn't want to read you the first time, on ignore again.

No not banned. But I think I'll leave you and other fragile people.. Bye now. Have a nice day &Keep smilin'

• Sad 1
On 8/18/2019 at 11:50 AM, holy cow cm said:

Yep! I would believe the expats are not even in the running.

Wrong!! Most tourists have comprehensive travel insurance. They are not the problem. And in the future it is going to become mandatory for the few that don't have travel insurance. It's the older folk, with many illnesses that are long term stayers. Why on earth would the Thai's want to single out fleeting tourists and impose heavy burdens on them. Also it's not "a few hundred" expats - try closer to a million.

Edited by Melbun
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Wrong!! Most tourists have comprehensive travel insurance. They are not the problem. And in the future it is going to become mandatory for the few that don't have travel insurance. It's the older folk, with many illnesses that are long term stayers. Why on earth would the Thai's want to single out fleeting tourists and impose heavy burdens on them. Also it's not "a few hundred" expats - try closer to a million.

I was not the one to say a few hundred. And I do believe it is the tourists more than anything. Motorcycle accidents or what you have it as I have seen so many tourists banged up in hospitals here. So I disagree with your statement.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure there is no requirement for you to be interested in any other person's "problems" including your own.

I don't have any problems (that I know of). Especially not financial problems. I did plan my life here,and I've been coming and going for more than 30 years. Why should I feel sorry about people who doesn't have a clue about money managing? If you just have your <deleted> comments, you better stay away.

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I was not the one to say a few hundred. And I do believe it is the tourists more than anything. Motorcycle accidents or what you have it as I have seen so many tourists banged up in hospitals here. So I disagree with your statement.

I would like to think you were correct, but if you walk around hospitals here as some of us have too, you will see many more older farang with persistent (costly) health issues, than the few young accident prone farang with (cheaper) 'mechanical' issues.

But it still beats me how people escape without paying their hospital bills. I guess well over 90% pay up, so applying a 100% (?) solution to a less than 5%(?) problem seems less than smart. If banks did that, they would never make a loan, but they profit from the majority and pursue the non paying minority.

7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Phuket is the No 1 place in Thailand where the hospitals have a <deleted>load of unpaid bills. Somewhere in the region of 300 million baht. Mostly from tourists. 

• Like 1
I don't have any problems (that I know of). Especially not financial problems. I did plan my life here,and I've been coming and going for more than 30 years. Why should I feel sorry about people who doesn't have a clue about money managing? If you just have your comments, you better stay away.
I explicitly said that there is no requirement for you to have regard for the problems of others. Duh.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, beau thai said:

I would like to think you were correct, but if you walk around hospitals here as some of us have too, you will see many more older farang with persistent (costly) health issues, than the few young accident prone farang with (cheaper) 'mechanical' issues.

But it still beats me how people escape without paying their hospital bills. I guess well over 90% pay up, so applying a 100% (?) solution to a less than 5%(?) problem seems less than smart. If banks did that, they would never make a loan, but they profit from the majority and pursue the non paying minority.

I promise you that the older farangs do pay their bills somehow. They are probably not runners. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Phuket is the No 1 place in Thailand where the hospitals have a <deleted>load of unpaid bills. Somewhere in the region of 300 million baht. Mostly from tourists. 

No I can't agree. Most tourists have comprehensive insurance. If they get banged up. They are covered. Just consider this _ 2 week millionaires are busy having a good time with "love". Older fellows have a great deal of opportunity go to the hospital for this and that illness, chronic aches and pains, alcoholism, diabetes, arthritis, chronic respiratory disease (bad air quality), bowel problems, investigative procedures, x-rays, colonoscopies, heart medication issues, renewal of doctors prescriptions, sleeping medication and the list goes on. And lets not forget about major operations.

Edited by Melbun
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Melbun said:

No I can't agree. Most tourists have comprehensive insurance. If they get banged up. They are covered.

38% of all British who travelled abroad did so without proper insurance. 22% admitted to travelling with no insurance at all.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/955239/holiday-travel-insurance-10-million-tourists-without-proper-cover

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Melbun said:

No I can't agree. Most tourists have comprehensive insurance. If they get banged up. They are covered.

Do you live in Phuket? Phuket is one place that the government incl. The Ministry of Health was thinking of when they got the idea for a mandatory accident insurance at the airport on arrival (just a small fee). The 300 million baht comes from an article in The Nation earlier this year. If you read newspapers and not only threads here,you might learn something about the real world. Learn how to use Google and a new world will open up for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, rabas said:

38% of all British who travelled abroad did so without proper insurance. 22% admitted to travelling with no insurance at all.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/955239/holiday-travel-insurance-10-million-tourists-without-proper-cover

Even so - MOST will not require extensive medical care that I have listed. They are there for a relatively short time. Expats statistically will be in the waiting rooms of hospitals - by the very fact that they are elderly and more likely to need medical care. That is why medical insurance companies don't like to insure older folk.

And as an additional comment - There is no excuse for being dumb and traveling without insurance. Obviously those people have very few brains.

Edited by Melbun
  • Sad 1