Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

rooster59

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Max69xl said:

There were no announcement August 22. I heard it was put on hold for some reason.

I don't know about August 22 but I have since seen a comment on page 50 about it being put on hold.

As the original announcement was worth a thread I am surprised that the correction wasn't.

19 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Are you serious? Have you ever been inside the cheapest government hospitals in Thailand? The equipment they have look like they bought it from a museum. The private hospitals have better equipment,better doctors and way better care. Why do you think common Thai people without insurances must go to the government hospital in their Amphoe? Do you think they can pick any hospital they want? 

With a simple travel insurance from EU you can pick a good hospital. You are probably one of those who are so scared about a mandatory health insurance. You can always use it at a crappy government hospital. 

it is apparent you have no idea about the difference between travel insurance and health insurance.

19 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Are you serious? Have you ever been inside the cheapest government hospitals in Thailand? The equipment they have look like they bought it from a museum. The private hospitals have better equipment,better doctors and way better care. Why do you think common Thai people without insurances must go to the government hospital in their Amphoe? Do you think they can pick any hospital they want? 

With a simple travel insurance from EU you can pick a good hospital. You are probably one of those who are so scared about a mandatory health insurance. You can always use it at a crappy government hospital. 

Simple Travel Insurance, enlighten me, for a start to qualify for Travel Insurance you have to have been resident in the UK for 6 months prior too taking a policy out. I had before managed to to have 90 Day Annual Travel Insurance, I could leave Thailand 1 day return to the UK and when I returned the 90 Day period restarted.

All good till I turned 66, nope no more 90 Day Trips reduced too 60 Days albeit I wasn’t eligible the following years as I hadn’t resided in the UK for the mandatory 6 months.

19 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It is a Black HOLE as everyone sees it.  Money to insurance companies who don 't pay, with high rates. So as the two tier pricing and Thailand backs foreigners paying double+ in hospitals, it is a precursor to what we will see coming.

If you enter any western country as a tourist without a travel insurance and need to go to a hospital you will have to pay a lot more than double compared to citizens in those countries. 

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

If you enter any western country as a tourist without a travel insurance and need to go to a hospital you will have to pay a lot more than double compared to citizens in those countries. 

In the U.K. they will never refuse Emergency Treatment but any further treatment is charged at 150% of the cost.

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

In the U.K. they will never refuse Emergency Treatment but any further treatment is charged at 150% of the cost.

You are correct but there are other countries that will charge you much more than 150%. That's cheap. 

7 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Yes but you will still get a bill for the emergency treatment afterwards. They just don't demand proof of ability to pay beforehand.

13 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

It's also been my impression that if a farang needs treatment, he or she is going nowhere until the bill is settled. I really can't believe that this is an issue.

Is it possible that the real issue is migrant workers from poor neighboring countries who leave the gov't hospitals with bills that never get paid? And now the foreigners who can afford to pick up the tab for others through excessive insurance billing are being forced to do so? 

Nobody being forced to do so as yet.

The previous poster says "walking away without paying"

but could it be those who never walk away is the bigger problem?

If die in hospital and they must shake down your Thai family, they probably find it hard to get anything.

I think many older farang could have the will and estate process at home and money going to kids or family in home country.

probably many die in hospital with nothing left...

so it dont look very good if they talk about the money they lost from dead people. 

Lots of very creative comments about how to curb this non-payment of health care costs but most important point missed by most - the government just wants to increase the use of cash register to increase the amount of money obtained by anyone who can't avoid the cost - it's a typical approach by a corrupt administration

18 minutes ago, JGV said:

Lots of very creative comments about how to curb this non-payment of health care costs but most important point missed by most - the government just wants to increase the use of cash register to increase the amount of money obtained by anyone who can't avoid the cost - it's a typical approach by a corrupt administration

Another paranoid poster who should move to another country instead of whining about everything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/18/2019 at 9:59 AM, bheard said:

"I still find this extremely hard to believe as the hospital will never let you leave until paid in full. How do you rack up a bill and then walk away?"

An easy way to do it (as a mate of mine did recently) is to die.
His good woman had to cough up lots of dosh as he'd been in a govt hosp for more than a month getting treatment for cancer, no insurance, then she had to fund his cremation as well.

Sent from my SM-T385 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's funny, I know it ain't mean't to be, but I had to laugh. And to think the guy didn't even have the foresight to contribute to the local funeral fund.

How un-caring is that.

Archived