BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

How Not to Die on Holiday in Thailand

Film says he was 25, old enough to know better.

Not easily achieved...Thailand is a place to die.

• Sad 1

It can always be dangerous to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Call it Karma. 

Despite only coming in at fifth on the list of most popular travel destinations for Australians, Thailand had the highest rate of deaths and hospitalisations for our travellers.

“An Australian dies or is hospitalised in Thailand every day, making it one of the most problematic destinations for Australian travellers,” finder.com.au Travel Insurance Expert, Bessie Hassan, said.

:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The easiest way is to NOT switch off your brain at the immigration desk.

• Like 2

If people didn’t believe that everything will be OK as they are on holiday, that would help. 

And the lack of regulations and enforcement makes it easy for tourists with little or no riding experience to hire mopeds/motorcycles. It’s encouraged because it’s big business.

Not just Thailand, I hired one in Vietnam by walking into the shop and being handed the keys, no ID, just pay $5 a day when you hand it back.

The bit about safer alternative transport in Thailand, then showing a bus? Are you joking or what?

Risk dying on a moped 'cos the bus driver will certainly try to kill you, er my brakes failed...again and again and again, or road slippery due to rain, but I only drive at 160km/h in the rain,  I not see tree or lampost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'd be interested to know what insurer pays out for a motorcycle accident whilst not wearing a helmet. Also, did he have a license? I would bet not. Also he mentioned a party, I would bet alcohol was involved. If I am right, it was a miracle the insurer paid for anything!

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

There’s not been a free smile in Thailand since the current regime took over the government apparently. Apart from this, it’s become extremely dangerous to live or come to Thailand on holidays, no matter which way you look at it whether whilst driving the scooter, being in a bus abused by its reckless driver,  trucks and needless to say driving a car or even crossing the roads !

Thailand is a dangerous place, please stay alert and pay attention to these dangerous Thais driving anything with an engine 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Honestly, I expected a nonsense, emotional video of little value.

But I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of helpful information in that video.

If you a Aussie visit Tasmania safe. Too many Aussie travel to dangerous places and never travel there own country. I travelled Australia extensively before going overseas. 

When I lived in Adelaide I met many people always holidayed in Bali but never ever visited another state except airport transfer.