How Not to Die on Holiday in Thailand

How Not to Die on Holiday

*warning - video contains some graphic images*

Twenty-three-year-old Ross was travelling in rural Thailand when he offered Aimie a ride on the back of his moped. The resulting crash would leave both of them with consequences that will last the rest of their lives.

Alway wear a helmet and make sure you have adequate travel insurance!

Despite only coming in at fifth on the list of most popular travel destinations for Australians, Thailand had the highest rate of deaths and hospitalisations for our travellers.

“An Australian dies or is hospitalised in Thailand every day, making it one of the most problematic destinations for Australian travellers,” finder.com.au Travel Insurance Expert, Bessie Hassan, said.

:coffee1:

If people didn’t believe that everything will be OK as they are on holiday, that would help. 

And the lack of regulations and enforcement makes it easy for tourists with little or no riding experience to hire mopeds/motorcycles. It’s encouraged because it’s big business.

Not just Thailand, I hired one in Vietnam by walking into the shop and being handed the keys, no ID, just pay $5 a day when you hand it back.

The bit about safer alternative transport in Thailand, then showing a bus? Are you joking or what?

Risk dying on a moped 'cos the bus driver will certainly try to kill you, er my brakes failed...again and again and again, or road slippery due to rain, but I only drive at 160km/h in the rain,  I not see tree or lampost.

I'd be interested to know what insurer pays out for a motorcycle accident whilst not wearing a helmet. Also, did he have a license? I would bet not. Also he mentioned a party, I would bet alcohol was involved. If I am right, it was a miracle the insurer paid for anything!

There’s not been a free smile in Thailand since the current regime took over the government apparently. Apart from this, it’s become extremely dangerous to live or come to Thailand on holidays, no matter which way you look at it whether whilst driving the scooter, being in a bus abused by its reckless driver,  trucks and needless to say driving a car or even crossing the roads !

Thailand is a dangerous place, please stay alert and pay attention to these dangerous Thais driving anything with an engine ????????‍♂️

If you a Aussie visit Tasmania safe. Too many Aussie travel to dangerous places and never travel there own country. I travelled Australia extensively before going overseas. 

When I lived in Adelaide I met many people always holidayed in Bali but never ever visited another state except airport transfer.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

If you a Aussie visit Tasmania safe. Too many Aussie travel to dangerous places and never travel there own country. I travelled Australia extensively before going overseas. 

When I lived in Adelaide I met many people always holidayed in Bali but never ever visited another state except airport transfer.

Australia is too expensive, can just as easily get dead there too.

I might be an excellent example of living here for 17 years. 

It's obvious that quite a few longtime posters here are fully aware what's going on and they never have such problems we always read about here.

"Does my (bar) gf really love me?" ( And other nonsense questions>>>)

It's incredible to see how some people on their holiday behave.

People who've never ridden a big bike all in a sudden rent a big bike and then crash seems to happen way too often. Including GoFundMe PLEASE.

Not wearing a helmet and being drunk only multiplies the dangers on Thailand's roads. 

Never get into a fight with a Thai, even when you'd consider it as your right. You'll never win an argument here. Never ever. 

Using common sense and "reading between the lines" helps a lot.

When traveling on a bus, the use of NCA is highly recommended.

They have new busses, two drivers with a lot of experience and you very seldom hear of a bus accident where this company was in involved.

Would I walk around in the Bronx, or Caracas in the morning hours with a golden bracelet around my neck and a wallet full of $$$?

Of course not. Why are people doing that here?

Many problems include bar girls who are there to play the caring wife, but she gets paid for it. Prostitutes here are perhaps more likable, and they learn very fast what foreigners like to hear.

If somebody never had a woman before and a bar girl then tell him that she loves him too much, that's just the beginning of a never ending nightmare. 

If you don't ride a bike drunk without a license, you're already wise.

When you understand that prostitutes only want your money and not your company for the next 50 years, you're already wise and clever.

And if you have the ability to differentiate between being a walking ATM, or a customer of a prostitute, you're good to go and an expert.

Prostitutes in our countries make the fast cash and it's clear that you only get what you've paid for. In advance.

Unfortunately, do many people here believe that their bar girls are so different that they have to safe her from this bad world sent money every month and truly believe that she'd quit her job and is waiting for him in Baan Pee Baa. 

Life's too short to look for troubles in a country where you neither understand what the people say, nor do you know much about their culture.

If you respect others the way you'd like to be recognized, you won't have problems in this country. Don't be arrogant and stupid and people will realize that. 

But if you believe that you've paid a lot of money for your flight and hotel and bought a sort of a right to behave like an idiot, you don't need to be surprised when all goes wrong and you end up badly. 

Too many people leave their countries with a lot of problems. You can't leave them at the airport, and they're all the time with you.

Some alcohol and the wrong people and the chaos is programmed.

But not only in Thailand. You can use the girls and have a great time, but don't let them abuse you, or your credit card. Or mom's cash. 

Don't fall in love with an illusion how things could be. 

bar gilrs.jpg

20 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

That’s because airport transfers are safe and air conditioned.. and .. you can see the world walk past you ????

15 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I might be an excellent example of living here for 17 years. 

It's obvious that quite a few longtime posters here are fully aware what's going on and they never have such problems we always read about here.

"Does my (bar) gf really love me?" ( And other nonsense questions>>>)

It's incredible to see how some people on their holiday behave.

People who've never ridden a big bike all in a sudden rent a big bike and then crash seems to happen way too often. Including GoFundMe PLEASE.

Not wearing a helmet and being drunk only multiplies the dangers on Thailand's roads. 

Never get into a fight with a Thai, even when you'd consider it as your right. You'll never win an argument here. Never ever. 

Using common sense and "reading between the lines" helps a lot.

When traveling on a bus, the use of NCA is highly recommended.

They have new busses, two drivers with a lot of experience and you very seldom hear of a bus accident where this company was in involved.

Would I walk around in the Bronx, or Caracas in the morning hours with a golden bracelet around my neck and a wallet full of $$$?

Of course not. Why are people doing that here?

Many problems include bar girls who are there to play the caring wife, but she gets paid for it. Prostitutes here are perhaps more likable, and they learn very fast what foreigners like to hear.

If somebody never had a woman before and a bar girl then tell him that she loves him too much, that's just the beginning of a never ending nightmare. 

If you don't ride a bike drunk without a license, you're already wise.

When you understand that prostitutes only want your money and not your company for the next 50 years, you're already wise and clever.

And if you have the ability to differentiate between being a walking ATM, or a customer of a prostitute, you're good to go and an expert.

Prostitutes in our countries make the fast cash and it's clear that you only get what you've paid for. In advance.

Unfortunately, do many people here believe that their bar girls are so different that they have to safe her from this bad world sent money every month and truly believe that she'd quit her job and is waiting for him in Baan Pee Baa. 

Life's too short to look for troubles in a country where you neither understand what the people say, nor do you know much about their culture.

If you respect others the way you'd like to be recognized, you won't have problems in this country. Don't be arrogant and stupid and people will realize that. 

But if you believe that you've paid a lot of money for your flight and hotel and bought a sort of a right to behave like an idiot, you don't need to be surprised when all goes wrong and you end up badly. 

Too many people leave their countries with a lot of problems. You can't leave them at the airport, and they're all the time with you.

Some alcohol and the wrong people and the chaos is programmed.

But not only in Thailand. You can use the girls and have a great time, but don't let them abuse you, or your credit card. Or mom's cash. 

Don't fall in love with an illusion how things could be. 

bar gilrs.jpg

Well said. So true. May I add: while you’re in Thailand, go see Isaan, you’ll be out of the beaten tracks and nicely surprised.

Love from Phon Charoen

On 8/18/2019 at 8:49 AM, Orton Rd said:

Film says he was 25, old enough to know better.

"Old enough to know better" extends to knowing when not to say others are old enough to know better after they have been injured.

Archived