Will mandatory health insurance force you to leave Thailand?

As retired U.S. military I have Tricare coverage, I also have more than adequate funds in a Thai bank to self insure.  However, at 79 years and with pre existing conditions the proposed Thai insurance would have little or no benefit to me.  I use private hospitals, Mission and BNH in Bangkok for anything not routine and Bangkok Rayong for routine medical care.  Never had a problem meeting my financial obligations nor do I expect any future problems.  Yes, having to buy Thai insurance, useless for me at my age and health would be a burden to me and would impact the well being of my wife and step daughter.  That said and before panicking, wait until the official announcement scheduled for 22 August that is supposed to provide final details on what persons will actually be required to purchase Thai health insurance.  There are circumstances such as existing insurance even if from an overseas company or the ability of a person to self insure and even grandfathering that may enable some to remain here without buying this useless Thai insurance.   

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I may be wrong but I understood that this 2500 Baht insurance was originally meant for Asians not westerners but hospitals began to use it for anyone other than Thai. I think you'll find that when the Junta found out, the hospitals were told 'only Asians', hence it stopped for westerners. A few months back the General Hospitals lobbied the Junta to rethink because of many foreigners (they said) couldn't pay. The result was this new rule for non O-A holders. However, this was not really what the hospitals wanted (I was told by admin friends in Udornthani). The hospitals wanted to offer insurance plans of their own (although linked to insurance companies) similar to, but perhaps a little more expensive, than the plan for Asians. I understand there has yet been no decision on this.

What do you mean by "meant for Asians" ? residents of certain asian countries, Asean members, Asian DNA ???

You should have it anyway, regardless. The older you are, the more important it is.

As for those that say they are too old now and it's too expensive, I ask why didn't you start in your fifties? Getting old and ill health is very predictable. It's not like it just suddenly appears, eh? 

30 people I know have left in 9 month. I left too am just travel here on 30 days visa so no tm30 no visa...    that lot of money away from the country.  Expat are not happy. Retired are not happy.  Setup a busines is hell..  why bother... thailand are NOT friendly.. 

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What do you mean by "meant for Asians" ? residents of certain asian countries, Asean members, Asian DNA ???

You may be correct about it being for Asean but I don't know what the Junta's definition was.

2 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

You should have it anyway, regardless. The older you are, the more important it is.

As for those that say they are too old now and it's too expensive, I ask why didn't you start in your fifties? Getting old and ill health is very predictable. It's not like it just suddenly appears, eh? 

Not all expats are in that category. I was married to a Thai Head Nurse and got automatic coverage so I didn't need to buy. We divorced when I had just past 70...to old to buy at an affordable rate.

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

From my understanding its easy to get insurance in your fifties but they will not carry on insuring you until your 90 or even less .

Don't forget they are a buisness chances are low at 50 to pay out but huge the older you get.

1 minute ago, TKDfella said:

Not all expats are in that category. I was married to a Thai Head Nurse and got automatic coverage so I didn't need to buy. We divorced when I had just past 70...to old to buy at an affordable rate.

Been with my missus for 22 years, but, I have still protected myself in case of divorce. I also pay for her top-notch insurance.

Anyway, at least you had a plan. It's not true that you can't get insured at 70, though, it will cost a lot and of course, there's also all those pre-existing conditions.

5 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

From my understanding its easy to get insurance in your fifties but they will not carry on insuring you until your 90 or even less .

Don't forget they are a buisness chances are low at 50 to pay out but huge the older you get.

Of course, I asked about that when I first got insurance. Mine insures me for life. Besides, I doubt if I'll get to 90 if I look at my family history.

14 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

About 8 years ago i went to get my driving licence i was told i needed a medical certificate.

Outside the test centre was a row of tents and i asked one lad who was about 14 and he said 100 baht and signed some paper and gave me it.

I am now thinking i might see him again as he was so efficient in giving me a full medical certificate mind you might cost 200baht.

Too expensive! Thai Mrs last year paid 60 baht in a 'high street' doctors surgery for the receptionist to print off and sign her certificate.

26 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I may be wrong but I understood that this 2500 Baht insurance was originally meant for Asians not westerners but hospitals began to use it for anyone other than Thai. I think you'll find that when the Junta found out, the hospitals were told 'only Asians', hence it stopped for westerners. A few months back the General Hospitals lobbied the Junta to rethink because of many foreigners (they said) couldn't pay. The result was this new rule for non O-A holders. However, this was not really what the hospitals wanted (I was told by admin friends in Udornthani). The hospitals wanted to offer insurance plans of their own (although linked to insurance companies) similar to, but perhaps a little more expensive, than the plan for Asians. I understand there has yet been no decision on this.

Thanks for that! I remember that scheme was for workers such as Lao/Cambodian etc. contractors employed in Thailand. Government hospital schemes would be a much needed additional option for the less well off expat. Unfortunately, insurance companies will, no doubt, take a sizeable cut. Should be good if it happens!

I live 7 months here and 5 months in USA so I get a new O-A visa every other year, using re-entry permit for the second year. There will probably be no provision for part timers but we will see. I pay quite a bit for Medicare and supplement plan already and I always get travel insurance for my stays in Thailand. I am among those who feel that eventually they will require insurance for those on extension too. 

23 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I know many.

Not just old guys, young guys too..

The younger ones shouldnt have much trouble gettin covered, its the older guys with families who I feel for.

Minimum age to obtain a Non Imm O-A Multi-Entry Visa is 50

19 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

I live 7 months here and 5 months in USA so I get a new O-A visa every other year, using re-entry permit for the second year. There will probably be no provision for part timers but we will see. I pay quite a bit for Medicare and supplement plan already and I always get travel insurance for my stays in Thailand. I am among those who feel that eventually they will require insurance for those on extension too. 

You are probably correct,but I do understand the way the government reasons. If you are thai and are invited to let's say a country in the EU, many countries demands since year's back a travel insurance/accident insurance. No insurance,no visa. Why do tourists and retirees think it's ok staying here without an insurance?

42 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

You should have it anyway, regardless.....

At my age, with many minor pre-existing conditions many of which are congenital, I will spend 100000s of baht every year and receive absolutely nothing in return. Zip. Nada. Money down the  drain.

Why should I have that?

I did start at 50, long before, always had top coverage until AXA cheated me badly for the third time. I have insured myself for 15 years all in private hospitals for an average of 30,000 baht/year covering a number of surgeries and other conditions, including a coronary stent last Wednesday! (amazing stuff)

If, I were paying 100000s of baht yearly for useless old man insurance that covered nothing, I might not have been able to cover my coronary stent Wednesday!

2 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Ok count me in on mental health issues...  Quad Bypass at 39 

uninsurable.. still looking for coverage that won’t cost a small mint

prolly best off back home to get it sorted.........unless you got bundles of cash to self insure in the meantime.

22 hours ago, Don Mega said:

You'd have to have mental health issues to NOT already have medical insurance.

That is a very stupid comment ,as many have pre existing conditions ,13 years ago i was offered a policy ,covered hardly anything ,for 4k a month ,did not take it as it was not worth the paper it was printed on (reputable insurance co as well)

so for many many of us the only insurance we can get is rubbish.

Yes, I don't understand how the gov't could require policies for old guys who, because of their age, would have a hard time getting a good policy.

Subtle hint?  They prefer the old guys not to be here - go elsewhere.....

I'm on an extension based on retirement. Should this insurance become mandatory for me I will leave (thinking about moving anyway.)

I have had many rows with beer soaked experts who think everybody should have health insurance but as I point out I'm over 70 with three existing conditions. The quotes I have obtained for the required cover is an annual payment of 90% of said cover (increasing yearly) so if I can pay that premium I could pay the medical bill out of my pocket and save myself a fortune.

I'm on an extension based on retirement. Should this insurance become mandatory for me I will leave (thinking about moving anyway.)
I have had many rows with beer soaked experts who think everybody should have health insurance but as I point out I'm over 70 with three existing conditions. The quotes I have obtained for the required cover is an annual payment of 90% of said cover (increasing yearly) so if I can pay that premium I could pay the medical bill out of my pocket and save myself a fortune.
The, still unconfirmed plans, are for OA visas not Extensions. There is currently a requirement for insurance for OX visas, so making it also mandatory for OA visas makes some sense.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's clear that's exactly what this Thai Government wants!

Will i leave Thailand the simple and bottom line answer is "Yes".

I did some investigation on foreign health insurance for foreigners over 60! and received quotes of over $10,000 to $19,000 USD per annum.

Who has that spare on a pension?

Now if the Thai Government came out with its own subsistence fpr health insurance then that's another consideration!

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

This suggestion is a non starter for working people (Brits that is) as we pay National Insurance till we retire and I only retired two years ago.

You can't have a "one size fits all" mentality when you come to medical care, just look at the current mess in the USA.

im using no health insurance except accident one for 2 million coverage. im 64 now. paying into a thai health insurance is more expensive than a flight home and treatment. the usual ambulant hospital treatment i pay cash. the only serious illness would be a heart attack for which i can use my 400 k in the bank. cancer other treatment only in my home country. my pension monthly 50 k

and 8 million in the bank outside thailand.

wbr

roobaa01

Archived