Need experts opinion. Thanks

arfandy

Which car would you get?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So i got 5 choices for "family car", second hand, price-wise is about the same and perfect for budget. However, i have zero knowledge when it comes to car (i only know how to drive it). I've never owned FORD. Here i listed 5 choices and i hope the specifications can help some experts here to determine which car is most suitable.

-- Mainly will be used for long-distance travelling 800~1300km.

-- At least 7-9 passengers (kids included), plus plenty of luggage.

-- Car lingers most of the time in North of Thailand, mountain-hill part but occasionally will travel down to Bangkok (maybe once in every 2 months or three)

-- I & wife will drive it, my wife is not keen with "heavy" steering but should be okay once she adapts.

-- Like i said earlier, we dont know how to fix car, and i've been hearing Ford has the least problem when it comes to engine durability and less maintainances (not sure if it is true) but i've been Toyota loyal customer for decades (hence i've listed one Toyota as well)

-- The list comes from faimly-owned business second hand car in Bangkok, aunt-in-law, therefore we believe in her "personal guarantee" (but we cant drive the car to Bangkok regularly just for free engine maintainance)

Thank you for your expertise advices.

2008 Ford Everest 2.5 (ปี 07-13) LTD TDCi SUV AT (No. Gear 5, Diesel, Weight 1894kg, Engine Piston, Power Peak hp 143, Peak Torque Nm 330, Aspiration Commonrail Turbo-Intercooled)

2008 Ford Everest 3.0 (ปี 07-13) LTD TDCi SUV AT (No. Gear 5, Diesel, Weight 1998kg, Engine Piston, Power Peak hp 156, Peak Torque Nm 380, Aspiration Commonrail Turbo-Intercooled)

2005 Ford Everest 2.5 (ปี 03-06) LTD SUV AT (No. Gear 4, Diesel, Weight 1880kg, Engine Piston, Power Peak hp 110, Peak Torque Nm 270, Aspiration Turbo-Intercooled)

2010 Ford Everest 2.5 (ปี 07-13) LTD TDCi SUV AT (No. Gear 5, Diesel, Weight 1894kg, Engine Piston, Power Peak hp 143, Peak Torque Nm 330, Aspiration Commonrail Turbo-Intercooled)

2010 Toyota Innova 2.0 (ปี 04-11) G Wagon AT (No. Gear 4, Petrol, Weight 1580kg, Engine Piston, Power Peak hp 136, Peak Torque Nm 182, Aspiration Aspirated)

Toyota are readily available spares and dealers, need to purchase a roof rack , as with all second hand buys, get them checked out, the cost of doing so will point out faults and maybe a further bargain chip, they need to go up on a hoist, pay the money as you will kick yourself for not doing so prior to handing over the cash,

If you have to choose from that list, then the 2.5 diesel 

Everest would be the most suitable for long distance

driving and 7+ passengers.

2010 or 2008 depending on which one has the lowest 

mileage and better condition.

The Diesel engine vehicle would give you your best return

on fuel economy especially on long distance driving. 

Where is the "None of the above" choice? You provide no information on the existing mileage on each vehicle, which is very important on vehicles as old as the ones you are considering. I wouldn't touch any Ford that old, unless it was extremely low mileage (i.e., less than 100K kms. And while the Brits will strongly disagree (they seem to love Fords), I wouldn't consider any Ford in Thailand. Toyotas are great, but not the one you mention. For long distance use, if that is the primary purpose, I would focus on a low-mileage 3 to 5 year old Toyota, not particularly the Innova. You can probably get a 3 to 5 year old 3 seat Pajero for about the same money as the vehicles you mention (or a bit more), which IMO would be a far (far) better choice than any of those. I have a 2014 4 door Triton (which shares the drive train with the Pajero) bought new, with about 65k km's now, and it is great. For value for money in Thailand, you can't beat Mitsu trucks and SUV's. 

49 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I personally  would give the Innova a pass.

Pardon for my lack of English understanding, but when you say "a pass" does it mean Toyota Innova should NOT even be considered for purchase or MUST purchase because perhaps it is better than Ford?

27 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Where is the "None of the above" choice? You provide no information on the existing mileage on each vehicle, which is very important on vehicles as old as the ones you are considering. I wouldn't touch any Ford that old, unless it was extremely low mileage (i.e., less than 100K kms. And while the Brits will strongly disagree (they seem to love Fords), I wouldn't consider any Ford in Thailand. Toyotas are great, but not the one you mention. For long distance use, if that is the primary purpose, I would focus on a low-mileage 3 to 5 year old Toyota, not particularly the Innova. You can probably get a 3 to 5 year old 3 seat Pajero for about the same money as the vehicles you mention (or a bit more), which IMO would be a far (far) better choice than any of those. I have a 2014 4 door Triton (which shares the drive train with the Pajero) bought new, with about 65k km's now, and it is great. For value for money in Thailand, you can't beat Mitsu trucks and SUV's. 

Oh, that one thing i've completely forgotten. All of the choices are under 160.000km mileage with Innova is currently at 130xxx km. I've considered Pajero & Fortuner but like you said, they are more expensive even second hand for the same year of production (e.g 2010, 2011) and the cheapest ones have at least 3.0cc engine and mileage are above 200xxx km. Yes, appearantly they are quite popular choice.

40 minutes ago, sotsira said:

If you have to choose from that list, then the 2.5 diesel 

Everest would be the most suitable for long distance

driving and 7+ passengers.

2010 or 2008 depending on which one has the lowest 

mileage and better condition.

The Diesel engine vehicle would give you your best return

on fuel economy especially on long distance driving. 

Thanks. But do production years matter? Or judgement based on mileage is the most important in buying second hand car? I've seen newer (+2017) second hand cars with over 200xxx km mileage and still being price doubled than year 2008/2010 cars that have much lower mileage.

For the record, all listed Ford cars have between 140xxx - 160xxx km mileage, Toyota Innova has about 130xxx mileage. 

Why are only Fords included as a choice that matches well with your criteria.....They'd be my 4th choice after Toyota, Isuzu, Mits only because Honda doesn't have a larger SUV and Chevy is almost a non entity here....

6 minutes ago, transam said:

As the rides are quite old I would go for the Toyota....Plus your lady will have no trouble steering or parking the thing....????

But can Toyota Innova handles the up and down, curvy roads in the North? How is the petrol-intake of Innova? I'm not sure if filling its tank with E20 (for economy-reason) is safe enough. 

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

Why are only Fords included as a choice that matches well with your criteria.....They'd be my 4th choice after Toyota, Isuzu, Mits only because Honda doesn't have a larger SUV and Chevy is almost a non entity here....

Innova matches my preference too and my wife prefers Innova than bulky-giant-Ford.

But for long distance travel, i've been told that diesel engine gives the best value for money than petrol engine. But do share what your opinion regarding this matter. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, arfandy said:

But can Toyota Innova handles the up and down, curvy roads in the North? How is the petrol-intake of Innova? I'm not sure if filling its tank with E20 (for economy-reason) is safe enough. 

It has a gearbox and a steering wheel to deal with most stuff unless you are saying where you go the roads are crap......I have never driven one, but from your list it is the only one I would be interested in..

The filler cap flap has the info on it for acceptable fuel. Get the source to have a look and let you know what it says..As for KPL, do a google search for figures..

1 hour ago, arfandy said:

Thanks. But do production years matter? Or judgement based on mileage is the most important in buying second hand car? I've seen newer (+2017) second hand cars with over 200xxx km mileage and still being price doubled than year 2008/2010 cars that have much lower mileage.

For the record, all listed Ford cars have between 140xxx - 160xxx km mileage, Toyota Innova has about 130xxx mileage. 

When buying S/H your judgement should be based on mileage &

overall condition, not so much on production year.

For mountain driving a diesel engine would perform far better

than a petrol for pulling uphill fully loaded with passengers due

to the superior torque capability.

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Perhaps the aunt only has those he listed for sale.

1 hour ago, arfandy said:

Oh, that one thing i've completely forgotten. All of the choices are under 160.000km mileage with Innova is currently at 130xxx km. I've considered Pajero & Fortuner but like you said, they are more expensive even second hand for the same year of production (e.g 2010, 2011) and the cheapest ones have at least 3.0cc engine and mileage are above 200xxx km. Yes, appearantly they are quite popular choice.

You don't give the price range in which your group of vehicles sits, but I found a 

2008 Ford Everest 2.5 (ปี 07-13) LTD TDCi SUV AT (95 to 100 k km) on the internet in BKK for Bht 449,000 Baht (already sold). 

There are many Pajeros, but a 2012 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 (ปี 08-15) GT SUV - AT (with 122 k km) is available for 555,000 Baht. Several in and around this price range.  You'll pay a lot more for a 2012 Fortuner. 

To step up from a Ford Everest to a Pajero that is 4 model years newer for B100k is IMO a no-brainer.  Obviously, condition is a key factor, and requires more investigation than I have done here.  You've narrowed your choices too quickly on inadequate/incorrect information. You need to step back and start over before you make a serious and costly mistake.  An 11 year old vehicle with 160k km is nearing the end of its economic life, especially for long distance driving. There are far better options out there for the same or a little more money if you look. And you should......

What is your budget? And what is the purpose of the vehicle? - to transport how many people (kids/adults), or transport goods.

I think the chevrolet captiva diesel is a choice, given you have mostly fords in your list. There are 400-500K Baht or so. Maybe a bit more for newer one. They also have 7 seats, and supposedly a larger 3rd row than its competition. 

https://www.one2car.com/for-sale/chevrolet-captiva-ltz-กรุงเทพและปริมณฑล-กาญจนาภิเษก/5870281?gclid=CjwKCAjw7uPqBRBlEiwAYDsr14msTWoE9AY_fLncW_QxZSGZjT-mg0WgIG7Yj2W0U7bufmyOI29DvRoChHkQAvD_BwE

But if you want to seat 7 adults in comfort, on many occasions, you may need something larger still. Ig you are transporting many people, a toyota hiace (seats 11 people or so) would be better. My wife prefers to ride in her works hiace more than the isuzu mux and a fortuner. The hiace is actually more comfortable. 

If you just need to seat 5 adults, I think you can expand the range of possible vehicles in your poll. 

9 hours ago, arfandy said:

Pardon for my lack of English understanding, but when you say "a pass" does it mean Toyota Innova should NOT even be considered for purchase or MUST purchase because perhaps it is better than Ford?

Sorry for not being clear.

By giving it a pass I mean I would just walk on by it. not stop and not consider purchasing it.      Again that's a personal opinion based on my  looking at them when I was in the market for a vehicle.

Good luck.

19 hours ago, transam said:

Sadly a Toyota pickup isn't in the list....????

Actually, the earlier Innovas were built on a Hilux platform, so it kind of is a Toyota pickup in disguise and the drive train should be pretty good. To me, it is one of the ugliest Toyotas ever built (along with the Prius), but it should probably give pretty good all around transportation for large numbers of people and luggage. In Thailand, Toyota rules, with Toyota trucks at the top. Because they hold their value so well, buying used is typically not a great value, but if you find a low mileage, well maintained cheap one, you are probably in the "sweet spot" of the Thailand auto market. Read more about the early Innova here https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/11/review-toyota-innova ("Scary build quality aside, the real interesting facets about the Innova derive from what you can’t see, the oily bits underneath the ho-hum exterior. When Toyota decided to design an MPV specifically for more rugged trails, they turned directly to one of the most robust and successful platforms they had, the Hilux pickup. So rather than a unibody minivan, the Innova gets a ladder frame, with the body bolted to it. This creates a nearly indestructible platform should you want to make the school run through the Korean DMZ. The 2.7L VVT-I 160bhp four-cylinder, which will last longer than the next North Korean dear leader, also carries over from the Hilux.")

The Innova is not a very popular vehicle in Thailand. In 2016, Toyota was targeting (hoping) to sell just 600 Innovas for the entire year. I only recall seeing 1 on the roads in Thailand, ever. To put it in perspective, Toyota sold 177,047 pick-up in 2018. Given its lack of popularity, the Innova may sell used for a very attractive/low price. That would be a reason (the only reason) to consider buying it. I still wouldn't want a vehicle with 160,000 km's on the clock, especially for long range driving, but if it has been well maintained and is in excellent condition and the price is very low, perhaps it is worth the risk. I would only say that about a Toyota (Isuzu or Mitsu) and certainly not about a Ford (or Chevy).

Innova would work for that number of people as a town car, but no way would I want to drive it any distance, and certainly not at 100kph on the open road. Cross this car off your list immediately, it's just not fit for purpose.

Your best bet (depending on mileage) is the 3.0 Everest. For 7+ people plus luggage, you need all the torque you can get. The Everest also has the brakes necessary to stop all that weight.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:16 AM, leeneeds said:

Toyota are readily available spares and dealers, need to purchase a roof rack , as with all second hand buys, get them checked out, the cost of doing so will point out faults and maybe a further bargain chip, they need to go up on a hoist, pay the money as you will kick yourself for not doing so prior to handing over the cash,

So true, from past inexperience. Get the vehicle inspected by a dealership or "reputable" garage. I rushed into the deal and got what I did not look for...a lemon. Bought new the following year.

The are al 7 seaters , 5 adult & 2 smaller persons.

Inova is a 6 seater in most cases.

The biggest 7 seater would be a Toyota fortuner.

Luggage on the roof if you have 7 persons inside.

For 9 persons you should buy a min Van or a Hyundai H1.

9 seaters are only to be driven buy a Thai person so i was told.

DFont know about license regulations.

Cheers.

Archived