landlord not reporting work permit debarcle

So my girlfriend and I moved into a new apartment about 3 or 4 months ago. Now in my passport at the back  I have my notification of address dated in April. She does not have a work permit so its not there yet.

The woman who does her paperwork has informed her she will have to pay 800 baht if the landlord goes with her to immigration or 2000 otherwise. However as its 3 months down the line and not 48 hours isn't a can of problems going to fall on someones shoulders anyway. This whole tm30 debarcle is confusing as ive been reading about it for so long.

So is it just the landlord who is going to be fined? After all he's supposed to report it or he was 4 months ago .. how are we to know if he did or not. Either way the admin people in the building, who I presume are supposed to report it.. have said he won't go to immigration and when my gf's paperwork women called to speak to them, they were quoted as saying "They didn't really care about my gf or anything else.) Other landlords involved in this have apparently said they will attempt to register it online.

Who is getting fined and can anything be done at immigration about this ridiculous landlord. I've told her to take her agreement with all the details that she used to get her non b ( savannakhet embassy have details of this change of address).

The section 38 app which only my gf can find on the play store due to location issues mentions fines of 10,000 baht for the landlord, which makes me wonder why they aren't bothered

Edited by jaffas21

Having a work permit, or not, has absolutely nothing to do with filing a TM30.

If you moved into a new apartment at the same time, it makes no sense why the landlord would not have reported you both as staying at the apartment, unless your g/f moved in sometime later.

43 minutes ago, jaffas21 said:

The section 38 app which only my gf can find on the play store due to location issues mentions fines of 10,000 baht for the landlord, which makes me wonder why they aren't bothered

The maximum 10,000 BHT fine applies only to hotel managers, not landlords of private residences for which the maximum fine is 2,000 BHT.

Anyone on a long stay visa permit or extension of visa who moves to new permanent registered address in Thailand - then need to file a TM28, change of address with the relevant immigration dept.

It seems everyone on a long stay in Thailand now needs to also file a TM 30 to track their movements around in Thailand.

If reporting change of registered address (TM28) or notification of movement of address in Thailand (TM30) has not been done, a visit to immigration will clarify what needs to be done and then most probably imm will apply a fine.

The owner and/or possessor are equally responsible for ensuring the reporting is done.

Edited by userabcd

8 minutes ago, userabcd said:

then need to file a TM28, change of address with the relevant immigration dept.

He is in Thailand for work, so he is exempt from TM28

A TM28 has to be filed at the local police station, not at immigration.

Regarding the TM30, if you have a rental contract in your name you are the possessor, so you also had the obligation to submit a TM30, you didn't do it, so you can be fined.

You can of course report him for breaking the law, maybe they fine him as well, maybe not...

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

He is in Thailand for work, so he is exempt from TM28

A TM28 has to be filed at the local police station, not at immigration.

Regarding the TM30, if you have a rental contract in your name you are the possessor, so you also had the obligation to submit a TM30, you didn't do it, so you can be fined.

You can of course report him for breaking the law, maybe they fine him as well, maybe not...

When I changed my address, went to CW immigration, not a police station, and filed a TM28 at immigration, copy of TM28 change of address is stapled in my passport.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Please provided a link that states your exempt from notifying a change of address if working.

When the Act was written, some 40 years ago, they were maybe only 2/3 Immigration offices, so TM28's were filed at local Police stations.

Nowadays they are only filed at Police stations if there is no Immigration office within that Province.

Look at the receipt for a TM28, signed ……………. Immigration officer.

It's confusing because the Act is so out of date with reality.

Tourists, people working, students and some others being exempt from immigration act sections 37 (3) and (4) (= form TM28): http://www.krisdika.go.th/librarian/get?sysid=318871&ext=htm

For the second part, please read the posts in this topic starting at post 40:

And let's keep further discussion about it in that topic, then this topic here doesn't go offtopic.

Edited by jackdd

We both moved in at the same time and both presented our passports upon arrival in the building and copies were made. Back in April

I recently went to immigration in July to do my 90 day report, I took my new address details to immigration just in case but no mention was made of anything by them, they just processed it in under 5 minutes and i walked out.

If we have to notify with a TM28 why does the landlord have to do it as well ... just in case we don't?

I have something at the back of my passport next to the 90 days paper called a reciept of notification (is this the TM28?) (it was done in the police section of immigration where they have the signs with the FBI's most wanted on them

if you are renting the apartment and the lease is in your name, then you are the possessor.  it is your responsibility as well as the landlord to report your girlfriend.

so fill out a tm-30 and circle "possessor" in the heading, then mail the form to CW along with the required documents.  turnaround time for the receipt is around 6 weeks.

Shes getting her work permit in 10 days, I guess  I would classifiy myself as the possessor as her name is down on page 2 of the agreement, but the admin woman downstairs in admin says she hadn't reported her and "its not her job) I moved into the apartment may 10th .. but the paper at the back of my passport says april 22 and obviously wasn't updated when I did my 90 days so I presume I wasn't reported 

Or they don't care about updating it once you have your work permit already. Who knows. If i'm not reported either when she goes to immigration in 10 days this could trigger problems for me if im not reported and an investigation of all foreigners in the building if immigration think no one is being reported. I'm not sure many people are reporting change of addresses if it isnt an issue at the 90 day report.

Edited by jaffas21

21 hours ago, jaffas21 said:

So my girlfriend and I moved into a new apartment about 3 or 4 months ago. Now in my passport at the back  I have my notification of address dated in April. She does not have a work permit so its not there yet...

1. It is not clear what you have at the back of your passport and how you got it.

2. In whose name is the lease for the apartment where you and your friend are staying?