How many of you came to Thailand divorced or Separated?

How many of you are separated/ divorced and then came to Thailand?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you came to Thailand separated/ divorced in the West?

• Separated/ divorced from my Western partner
    • I came to Thailand single

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/18/19 at 07:10 PM

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, georgegeorgia said:

Australia for one.

Anything relationship without marriage after 2 years is considered a de facto which means partner rights in regard to assets etc

not sure about the UK ? Or the USA ?

Yes, UK same, known as "common law" husband/wife

15 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Australia for one.

Any  relationship without marriage after 2 years is considered a de facto which means partner rights in regard to assets etc

Same in UK and most US states.

I think the trick is to make sure they always have their own home, so they can't claim yours.

But then, what women is gonna accept a man that doesn't buy (rent?) them a house.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Same in UK and most US states.

I think the trick is to make sure they always have their own home, so they can't claim yours.

But then, what women is gonna accept a man that doesn't buy (rent?) them a house.

an independent woman who knows what she wants?

On 8/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, BritManToo said:

My Brit wife dumped me age 52, proclaiming I would never have sex with a woman again now she didn't want me.

Came to Thailand to get away from women ....... flight was cheap ....... when I got here I realised I had made a mistake.

But at least the 40+ much younger women I banged while out here proved my Brit wife totally wrong.

And even though I paid most of them, they all showed me more love and affection than my Brit wife of 30 years.

Not seen the 4 Brit kids since I left over 10 years back.

Oldest daughter (30+ )came out to Chiang Mai to see me, I didn't reply or meet her.

Oldest son (30+) sent me a photo of his recently born daughter, I blocked him.

They both sided with her during the divorce, I've got no time for traitors.

I also sent the Brit wife a postcard photo of the woman I moved in with (half her age, half her weight and twice as pretty), with the word 'thanks' written as the message.

You can't see me doing this but I am standing in front of computer clapping loudly in your honor.  You're my new hero.  Sorry about your children though, that's tragic.  Still - standing ovation.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Australia for one.

Any  relationship without marriage after 2 years is considered a de facto which means partner rights in regard to assets etc

I never heard anything like this. Other posters write it is the same in the USA and UK. It is shocking. I lived some years in the USA. Good that I had so much work that I never had time for a longer more serious relationship. 

On 8/18/2019 at 5:57 PM, Kadilo said:

I see the hoops some guys I know jump through to keep their women happy and for most they are just bang average.  Some of the guys are lucky to get a monthly <deleted>. 

I also see their faces when I answer their questions and the obvious disappointment that they can’t join me. I tell them best they don’t because they would be divorced within a year. 

You sir, hit the nail right on the head.

All of my mates, well most of them, constantly complain about their wives of 30 years but won't divorce them because it will cost them too much, i.e. family business in with the wifes name, properties etc etc

They all tell me how lucky I was back then and am now, and what a stunner of a Thai wife I have, who has a brain, can cook, is not up herself and shags me 3 times a week, nearly putting my lights out in the 1st year (heart attack), 12 years later, nothing's changed, she's still the same animal I met back then, as for my mates, who cares ????

One of them said to me the other day, are you still with that Asian chick and I replied, she's not Asian, she's Thai, and yes was my answer, r u still with your wife I asked, with his reply being, can we stick on the subject of your wife mate, she is more interesting...lol

I have to admit, I am one of the lucky ones, because I have heard some shocking stories even seen the split ups, sadly this is a worldwide problem, not just Thailand, it's in the species, if you allow it (financially).

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:23 AM, spidermike007 said:

It is a fairly dumb question. I would say nearly all of us came here divorced. Why? Because we came from countries where a large percentage of the women are lost. The US is the utter embodiment of a nation that has lost it's footing, has really never found it's identity, and has a population of women, 90% of whom, have no ability, willingness, wherewithal, or desire to connect with, manifest, or embody their inner woman, or express femininity for anything other than personal gain. The US is on the decline, and has been for the past 30-40 years.

It is the Western Roman Empire, in the late 5th century AD, prior to Odoacer marching on Rome. 

As a bloke, I assume you're a bloke' can you expand on how women 'embody their inner woman' ? 

Looking forward to this

34 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

All of my mates, well most of them, constantly complain about their wives of 30 years but won't divorce them because it will cost them too much, i.e. family business in with the wifes name, properties etc etc

In my experience, most are not as "stuck" as they believe themselves to be.  In the West, the mentality is....the more money you have the happier you will be.

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Nowadays in the West, a relationship longer than 2 years is usually considered a de facto relationship and your partner has the same rights as if married

Not so for the UK - if you are referring to 'common law' husband/wife this is an urban myth and has no legal definition whatsoever unless you can show you actually contributed financially to the relationship in which case its only right you get something out of it.

On 8/18/2019 at 3:15 PM, sanemax said:

Nothing wrong with people talking about sex , its just when they ONLY talk about sex , gets repetitive and boring after a while , listening to others going on about their sex or lack of sex lives 

well dont look then if it is not want you want to read!!!!!!!!!!111

On 8/18/2019 at 2:14 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I always liked pretty cute girls. At "home" they mostly ignored me.

Maybe they allowed me to buy them dinner and drinks but that was about it.

So I never married because I didn't want to accept 2nd rate girls.

And then I discovered that there are many pretty cute girls in Thailand who like to have fun. And I never regretted it.

When I was young, at home, and goodlooking, playing in a band, I didn't have any problems getting girls, I always made sure that I treated them with respect.

58 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

As a bloke, I assume you're a bloke' can you expand on how women 'embody their inner woman' ? 

Looking forward to this

Really? is that a sincere question, or are you goading me on here? It is about doing what Thai women, or alot of Latin women do. And that is embracing that which makes them special. Their femininity. American women are scared to death of their femininity. They think by expressing it, they are somehow weaker, or lesser, or will be scorned by other women. There is so much dignity within true femininity. Not the garbage being spewed by the huge numbers of misandristic women there today. Femininity is a huge attribute. One that men are desperately seeking in women. Yet, so many are unable to express it on any level. Who wants to be around a woman who is more masculine than I am? Not much fun in that. 

On 8/19/2019 at 3:22 PM, jaffas21 said:

i'm not divorced those are the guys you read all these horror stories about on stickmans guide to bkk readers submissions. No Ive never been married I researched Thai women so when I came here. I met one who started alarm bells when she wanted to get married and started more when she wanted $20k dowry for her heavily drinking father who as far as I could tell was funded totally by her. She was in debt already to the tune of 3M baht and if i loved her i'd help her pay it off.

When I analysed the situation I realised it was only comfortable older farangs  the ones i know giving their wives 30k per month to do the shopping that can afford a thai wife. (btw they are saving 10k a month for when you run out of money)

The uk is full of even middle aged guys like me with no pensions or huge payoff coming our way so we work and date filipinos instead they don't want your money, only a loving relationship ..

However there isnt a future here when you can't own the land run a business or do anything else your wife or gf is only there as long as the gravy train keeps pouring.

Good on you, for doing your research, and manning up. There are so many guys who come here, and make all the mistakes they made back home. They do not realize this place does not require that you surrender your cajones at the door. You can still be a man here, and alot of Thai women love and appreciate that. They want a strong man. How refreshing is that? 

A dowry of 600,000 baht might be appropriate for a woman who has never been married, has never had kids, has a university degree, is gorgeous, smart, and comes from a middle class, well established family. Anything short of that is just nonsense. These poor Issan woman hear about the stories of guys giving up huge sums of money, as these men do not get how emasculated they are, when they arrive, and do not understand how to change all that, and grow a set. So, the women ask crazy amounts of money, and some suckers pay it. What can one say? You get what you deserve.

If only more guys would come here, do the research, get an education about the locals, take their time getting to know someone (12-60 months is appropriate) and do the gender proud. 

On 8/18/2019 at 2:09 PM, BritManToo said:

My Brit wife dumped me age 52, proclaiming I would never have sex with a woman again now she didn't want me.

Came to Thailand to get away from women ....... flight was cheap ....... when I got here I realised I had made a mistake.

But at least the 40+ much younger women I banged while out here proved my Brit wife totally wrong.

And even though I paid most of them, they all showed me more love and affection than my Brit wife of 30 years.

Not seen the 4 Brit kids since I left over 10 years back.

Oldest daughter (30+ )came out to Chiang Mai to see me, I didn't reply or meet her.

Oldest son (30+) sent me a photo of his recently born daughter, I blocked him.

They both sided with her during the divorce, I've got no time for traitors.

I also sent the Brit wife a postcard photo of the woman I moved in with (half her age, half her weight and twice as pretty), with the word 'thanks' written as the message.

I agree with  georgegeorgia that 10 years latter youré still a very hurt bitter man holding on to all that hate so actually your wife won, she got the house got rid of you and kept your kids from you.  Your kids made an effort to reconcile with you and you rebuked them. Most likely they realised thier mistake and missed you wanted to see you (as in your daughter coming all the way over here) and afterthat you refused to see her..  When my daughter when younger early teens her mom used to bad mouth me trying to turn her against me. Worked for awhile but when she found out her mom had lied about everything when her mother decided to move out of state my daughter (17 yo) told her have a nice trip I'm not going anywhere. Stayed with me and graduated  University and I had to pay her a few times to go visit her mom. we are close and see my grand kids 16 and 8 girl and boy. Should not have abandoned your kids  even if they sided with mom who probably told them he's a bad man. When they saw the light you call them traitors for taking her side.? As I said a lot of hate/bitterness still held by you.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:19 PM, BritManToo said:

Got to agree, white girls just aren't worth the time, money and effort.

Just watched a new TV series Dark Waters, a rich guy was paying 5,000GBP a go to bang an average looking 30 something Brit massage therapist in the Lake District.

I know it was only fiction, but I can imagine most Brit girls thinking their pussy is worth that much.

They charge by the kilo. 

I was 32 years  married  with a Sino/Thai wife. When I came to Thailand. No children. My wife died 6 months after our arrival. Married again with another single Sino/Thai lady 17 years my junior.  She was never married and don't had children. I was 60 wen  I relocated to Thailand.. Never left the country.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:51 PM, DannyCarlton said:

I'll answer with a degree of trepidation as I don't want sanemax stalking me. God, he's brutal!

Sorry if my answers are pretty much identical to @kawasaki's we're not the same person with multiple accounts. Honest!

1. None of the above. I was happily married at the time. I retired early and came to backpack around S.E. Asia. My wife didn't come as she works and doesn't like travelling.

On my second visit to SE Asia, I realised what little the UK had to offer me in my retirement and how much my wife and I had drifted apart. Decided to retire to Thailand alone.

2. On my return, had a very painful conversation with my wife. She was dead set against me leaving. My mind was made up. Very strained for the first year but now get on well and go for nights out together when I return to the UK. We love each other very much and will never divorce.

3. Kids were very confrontational with me at first, took my wife's side, which I understood and was happy with the support they gave her. Time is a great healer and we get on well now. Gave my daughter away at her wedding last year. Neither of them have visited me, primarily because the refuse to meet or even aknowledge my Thai wife, even though my wife and I separated long before I met her.

Never divorce you first wife but now have a Thai wife? 

How does that work? 

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Yes I saw that in post 66 and couldn't edit my post.. Have you sorted out a an appropriate will? 

Sorted my will out in the UK, which protects my Thai wife as virtually all my assets are over there. Yet to sort a will out in Thailand to protect me as the house/car are in her name. If she dies I'm in the mire. Not easy to sort out here. Seems complicated with no easy answers.

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Sorted my will out in the UK, which protects my Thai wife as virtually all my assets are over there. Yet to sort a will out in Thailand to protect me as the house/car are in her name. If she dies I'm in the mire. Not easy to sort out here. Seems complicated with no easy answers.

Usufruct.

39 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I've got 23 years to run on the home loan (doubt I've more than five years left in me).

If anyone wants me out of the house, I just won't keep up the repayments.

It would save me money to walk away.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Really? is that a sincere question, or are you goading me on here? It is about doing what Thai women, or alot of Latin women do. And that is embracing that which makes them special. Their femininity. American women are scared to death of their femininity. They think by expressing it, they are somehow weaker, or lesser, or will be scorned by other women. There is so much dignity within true femininity. Not the garbage being spewed by the huge numbers of misandristic women there today. Femininity is a huge attribute. One that men are desperately seeking in women. Yet, so many are unable to express it on any level. Who wants to be around a woman who is more masculine than I am? Not much fun in that. 

Not goading at all - nicely explained.

I do have some sympathy with that view that its seen as a weakness to not try to compete with males on every level even when its impossible to do so. 

A foreigner/thai relationship is a throw back to the male go out to work, and the female will take care of everything else set up in a lot of cases. They genuinely want to take care of their bloke. (Cue for the usual moron to step in here with take care of your wallet blah blah blah), old fashioned yet remarkably works !

I would consider myself a feminist, have little time for under developed male idiots who believe they are a lower form of life. yet some of the initiatives to make everything 'equal', positive discrimination etc are just counter productive. Unless of course the female is in a position to earn/progress well in which case good luck to her as well.

Archived