Thai Fiance / Wife Visa Process for America

Hello, 
I am engaged to Thai woman I have know for 6 years, but recently rekindled and we have decided to get married. Both of us are currently based in Bangkok. I was wondering if anyone had recently gone through the process of applying and bringing a Thai wife to America and the timelines. 

Given the current administrations dislike of immigrants, is it more difficult now to bring a wife over? 

How much can be done in Thailand versus in the US? Can all the applications, interviews, and all be done in Bangkok at the embassy in order to receive a green card? It would be nice if when we went she was already able to begin to work rather than wait. 

Also, is there a problem given that we only recently this year began dating again? I have heard it was difficult for people married for years with kids even to get everything sorted for the spouse.

Any insight you can give would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Have known for 6 years, not been together for six years. Recently got back together earlier this year. And why you ask...well in addition to the relationship side of it, obviously there are benefits of marriage as well in regards to visa / residency. 

If you are going to do this, time is of the essence

Since you are resident in Thailand you are able to do an I-130 filing at the local USCIS office, which would greatly reduce the time it takes to process, versus filing in the USCIS lockbox in the US

However, the Trump administration has announced that they are shuttering all overseas offices by March next year, some have already closed.

According to Buzzfeed the area offices will be the last to close, BKK being one of them.

I posted this a while back detailing the timeline for us filing in Bangkok.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1044223-bangkok-cr-1-application-experience/

@GinBoy2 Thank you for the message and link with your detailed timeline. You mentioned her green card showed up within a month of arriving in the US. So all of that process was done from Bangkok in regards to getting green card approved? 

I had heard about having to live together for a while in US to get certain things approved. Would be better if that could all be done in Thailand. 

I spoke with 2 friends having brought wife's over, one Thai and one Japanese. Both made it sounds ridiculous and they have been together longer. So just hoping that they don't think negatively of us if we have been together a shorter time. 

14 minutes ago, Scaliwags66 said:

@GinBoy2 Thank you for the message and link with your detailed timeline. You mentioned her green card showed up within a month of arriving in the US. So all of that process was done from Bangkok in regards to getting green card approved? 

I had heard about having to live together for a while in US to get certain things approved. Would be better if that could all be done in Thailand. 

I spoke with 2 friends having brought wife's over, one Thai and one Japanese. Both made it sounds ridiculous and they have been together longer. So just hoping that they don't think negatively of us if we have been together a shorter time. 

Everything is done in Bangkok.

Remember you are by law, at least for now, entitled to bring your spouse to the United States, so it's a very objective process, versus the subjective process for tourist visas.

USCIS, at least in my experience doesn't care how long you have been together. Just provide them with the correct documentation, they tick the boxes and you're good to go.

There is nothing to do when you get to the US, other than wait the two years to have the restrictions taken off the CR-1, to get the 10 year greencard.

To clarify the first greencard that shows up within 4 weeks of arrival will have a 2 year validity, then she'll get the 10 year

That is the difference between a CR-1 and an IR-1.

Married less than 2 years and the greencard is conditional for 2 years. It's to ensure that it's not a scam marriage.

After the two years is up, 90 days prior you file an I-751 to remove the conditional residency. Joint bank accounts, utility bills etc does the trick 

Archived