Thoughts on "will there be a Real High Season" this year?

joeyg

Last year, unofficially was the worse on record for diminishing business profits.  According to numerous numerous acquaintances owners of, restaurants, bars, car rental shops etc etc.  the girls appear quite concerned as well.  I personally feel that Pattaya has "shot it's proverbial load."  Been coming here since 1971 via US military.  Retired here for 6 years.  Think I've seen it all.

The list is too long,  We used to be treated like kings,  hard to find a fit girl,  prices of many things less in our home countries blah, blah, blah.

Personally  I still like the place and don't find it expensive living a vegetarian life style and drinking quite moderately.

I think the Global economic/recession/depression will usher in an even far worse "high season"  than the one that didn't happen last year.  

Any thoughts?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I think the Global economic/recession/depression will usher in an even far worse "high season"  than the one that didn't happen last year.  

This week, as markets puckered, and I glanced nervously at my mutual fund, and it did cross my mind. 

Pattaya -I think it will be across the board and YES. If we head into a recession, add Brexit, add Trump trade sanction earbashing, it will not be good. BTW I plan on traveling a lot this next year.

2 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

This week, as markets puckered, and I glanced nervously at my mutual fund, and it did cross my mind. 

Pattaya -I think it will be across the board and YES. If we head into a recession, add Brexit, add Trump trade sanction earbashing, it will not be good. BTW I plan on traveling a lot this next year.

Thanks for your input...

I'm not sure that I have believed for a few years now, that there is a high season, low season anymore.  The market for visitors to Thailand, at any time, is volatile and unpredictable, especially this year with a strong Baht and ever increasing reasons not to visit the country, high prices, pollution, rampant corruption, difficulties getting a visa, poor to none existent customer service. Take a guess, it will be as good as anyone's, including government.   

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

There will be no high season this year (20th December to 10th January even when there is)

The golden goose has been well and truly cooked sadly. End of days....

Indeed.  Simply and well said.  That kind of sums it up.  Well done...

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Last year, unofficially was the worse on record for diminishing business profits.  According to numerous numerous acquaintances owners of, restaurants, bars, car rental shops etc etc.  the girls appear quite concerned as well.  I personally feel that Pattaya has "shot it's proverbial load."  Been coming here since 1971 via US military.  Retired here for 6 years.  Think I've seen it all.

The list is too long,  We used to be treated like kings,  hard to find a fit girl,  prices of many things less in our home countries blah, blah, blah.

Personally  I still like the place and don't find it expensive living a vegetarian life style and drinking quite moderately.

Any thoughts?

blah, blah, blah.

One thing for sure, you could go back a year (and every other year) on this forum, and there will be a post from some worrier, worrying about whether high season is going to be busy or not.

30+ years of reading this, and every High Season, is still too busy for me.

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

yes there will be a high season. but not for so much for business that cater to western tourists. that is over. 

Hua Hin is very busy right now.

That's kind of the conclusion I came to.

With legalisation of cannabis it's bound to be a very high season....

Joking aside... with trade war between US and China and the rest of the World pulled into it, economies in many parts of the World shrinking (also partly because of US/China spat), people fearing to lose jobs, their savings and stock/bond investments deteriorating... and if we add local challenges of strong Baht, increasing competition from safe and affordable new destinations... I cannot imagine there would be record visit from... pretty much anywhere. Regardless of TAT propaganda, the numbers will be down in Thailand, and Pattaya won't be any exception in this.

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

With legalisation of cannabis it's bound to be a very high season....

Joking aside... with trade war between US and China and the rest of the World pulled into it, economies in many parts of the World shrinking (also partly because of US/China spat), people fearing to lose jobs, their savings and stock/bond investments deteriorating... and if we add local challenges of strong Baht, increasing competition from safe and affordable new destinations... I cannot imagine there would be record visit from... pretty much anywhere. Regardless of TAT propaganda, the numbers will be down in Thailand, and Pattaya won't be any exception in this.

Exactly...

Pattaya Metamorphosing like a Butterfly.... four stages  Egg . Larva , Pupa  and finally a beautiful butterfly  .

Pattaya  stage  one   (the Egg)_ ...   a sleepy  quaint fishing village

Stage Two ..( Larva)    ...  the Yankees arrive and turned into a rustic city of sin

stage Three (Pupa ) Now !   the city tries to modernise and  struggles against the times. 

Stage Four   ( Beautiful Butterfly)..   Pattaya become a  international renowned family beach resort.(winning the best place to visit for 25 yrs in a row)

whoop stage four never happens due to the Pupas being harvested by some poor guy/girl from Isaan and deep fried and sold from a cart.... The Thai equivalent the killing the golden goose lol 

1 minute ago, banglay said:

Pattaya Metamorphosing like a Butterfly.... four stages  Egg . Larva , Pupa  and finally a beautiful butterfly  .

Pattaya  stage  one   (the Egg)_ ...   a sleepy  quaint fishing village

Stage Two ..( Larva)    ...  the Yankees arrive and turned into a rustic city of sin

stage Three (Pupa ) Now !   the city tries to modernise and  struggles against the times. 

Stage Four   ( Beautiful Butterfly)..   Pattaya become a  international renowned family beach resort.(winning the best place to visit for 25 yrs in a row)

whoop stage four never happens due to the Pupas being harvested by some poor guy/girl from Isaan and deep fried and sold from a cart.... The Thai equivalent the killing the golden goose lol 

55555 Good humor.  really too bad ya can't go in the water.  it's really filthy.

Forget about the west.

They consider a 15 day visa exempt entry for Chinese and Indian before high season.

No more queuing at the visa on arrival desk but straight to checkpoint.

Suvarnabhumi will burst.

Pattaya will be congested but bar-stools available.

Get up early and watch the crowds at Bali Hai and along the beach.

Do an evening WS stroll and take care not to be pushed aside.

On my last visit I was persuaded to do that (against my interest).

Oh no!

14 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

It's a no brainer that the strong baht/weak pound etc will mean less people coming. 100% as clear as day.

One would think.  Unfortunately many people spend money they don't have.

Archived