Thoughts on "will there be a Real High Season" this year?

joeyg

Haven't been to Pattaya in well over a decade, and don't particularly care about how the economy there will be this year, but I can tell you this. The harvest in much of Thailand this year is going to be dreadful, and farm incomes will be well down. More men and women than usual seem to have gone off to urban areas looking for employment. To the extent that Pattaya attracts people (both men and women) looking to make a fast buck, I would predict that there might be more people than in recent years looking to sell their wares or relieve you of your possessions.

In terms of tourist volumes, global economic uncertainty is probably going to dampen demand. Climate change is also starting to affect tourism. News reports about drought and water shortages in Asia haven't gone unnoticed. As winters in many Western countries become ever milder, the incentive to travel to a tropical destination drops as well.

I also can't help but feel the government's xenophobia and police state mentality is starting to negatively impact foreign perceptions of Thailand as a welcoming holiday destination.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

Haven't been to Pattaya in well over a decade, and really don't care about how the economy will be this year but I can tell you this. The harvest in much of Thailand this year is going to be dreadful, and farm incomes will be well down. More men and women than usual seem to have gone off to urban areas looking for employment. To the extent that Pattaya attracts people (both men and women) looking to make a fast buck, I would predict that there might be more people than in recent years looking to sell their wares or looking to relieve you of your possessions.

In terms of tourist volumes, economic uncertainty is probably going to dampen demand. Climate change is also starting to affect tourism. News reports about drought and water shortages in Asia haven't gone unnoticed. As winters in many Western countries become ever milder, the incentive to travel to a tropical destination drops as well.

I also can't help but feel the government's xenophobia and police state mentality is starting to negatively impact foreign perceptions of Thailand as a welcoming holiday destination.

Thank you very insightful.  The north is experiencing the worst drought in 50 years.  Produce is starting to look a little "raggedy" at the market

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Your comment is profound.  Deep thinking for sure.  if you don't like the post why comment with useless drivel.

I know, but with your 'will there be a real high season this year' subject matter, you already set the debate bar very low.

Certainly wont be any Brits visiting Thailand while it costs almost £6 for a small crappy Thai lager in WS....thats ?£12 a pint......even skanky rundown townshop bars are charging more than UK prices.....Burger King almost £8 extra long chicken......Top dollar peices for rundown third world service and environment. I had a full roast beef dinner with a pint of real ale ar my local a few weeks ago for only £5.95....pleased Im outa here and cant wait to get home again week after next

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

yes there will be a high season. but not for so much for business that cater to western tourists. that is over. 

Hua Hin is very busy right now.

You mean right now as in today? I was in Hua Hin for the Kings Birthday weekend and outside of the evening traffic jams outside the Cicada Market, it was easy to get around and the beach at Takiap was pretty deserted until Sunday. Visited Blu Port and by the ease of entry, parking and egress, it wasn't throbbing. The owner of the townhouse we stayed in has a bar in town which he said was pretty dead but his small resort and rental townhouses were in demand. But judging by the traffic on highway 35 late Monday afternoon, there was plenty of people that had been somewhere down that way!

I reckon Hua Hin was probably just as busy as Pattaya in this regard. We went there for 4 nights after leaving Hua Hin and it was typically low-season, post-local holiday quiet, as expected. Some days you can fire the proverbial shotgun and not hit anyone then "where did that lot come from?" for the next couple of days. Very short-cyclical and all a bit unpredictable.

21 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Thank you very insightful.  The north is experiencing the worst drought in 50 years.  Produce is starting to look a little "raggedy" at the market

Yes, quite shocking really and there doesn't seem to be too much being made of it in the Thai media (morning TV news) that I have watched. With regard to Gecko123's suggestion that more land workers will probably be seeking employment in the traditional tourist areas, there are the large industrial estates that lie to the east of Pattaya and south of Chachoengsao which may be a better bet since 'fast buck' is harder to come by with the dearth of 'traditional' tourists in Pattaya.

22 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Certainly wont be any Brits visiting Thailand while it costs almost £6 for a small crappy Thai lager in WS....thats ?£12 a pint......even skanky rundown townshop bars are charging more than UK prices.....Burger King almost £8 extra long chicken......Top dollar peices for rundown third world service and environment. I had a full roast beef dinner with a pint of real ale ar my local a few weeks ago for only £5.95....pleased Im outa here and cant wait to get home again week after next

Your not the same bloke I saw in Villa earlier today raving and waving his arms about the "6 quid for a tinned Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie!" are you?

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Your not the same bloke I saw in Villa earlier today raving and waving his arms about the "6 quid for a tinned Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie!" are you?

No, those pies have ruined three of my microwaves

There will be a "high season" , but not caused by Westerners. Mostly Asian tourists will visit Pattaya, and it will not help the bar and restaurant owners in the city.   

However if you open a Chinese restaurant you could get some business for sure..... 

26 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I don't think an upcountry drought or soggy veg on the market stalls with have an impact on visitors. It's not something uppermost in my mind as I'm packing my sandal socks.

There will however be 30m new Chinese passport holders this season and a fair few will choose Thailand for their first foray abroad.

Sorry sinophobes.

I think you've a few things going on in Thailand and Pattaya.

First, yes numbers are off but there will be a high season. Mostly Chinese getting out of the cold. A pack of punters from the west.  The latter will be short lived Nov to Feb. Then will drift sideways. No matter how dire Pattaya always gets a burst of tourists Nov 15 to Jan 15.

Indians will drop off imo. Just as Thailand courses their $$ It's too expensive and the middle class too small. Five early 30s IT workers from Bangalore nursing a Coke with 5 straws may continue.

The places you frequent might be dead and business is drying up bc the farang are gone but other businesses pop up. Would be interesting to see revenue from Pattaya tax office.

I've done my time there. It was memorable. Could never see living there over the last decade though. Completely finished.

Take note of the people who actually know, not guess, via numbers. 

Airlines. 

Prices have been steadily going down. I have alerts, lowest price for "my round trip" were steady at $500.

They are now hitting as low as $350! (never seen that). ANd 400-450 becoming more common. 

It is going to be slow. Real slow. I would say as slow as it has ever been. 

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

Your comment is profound.  Deep thinking for sure.  if you don't like the post why comment with useless drivel.

Useless drivel are the same chicken little posts about judging the Thai tourist situation based on Pattaya, and Even narrower, on the bar and hooker biz.

The US economy is humming along great despite the haters that pray and talk up recession, but most staid Americans don't go to Pattaya. Hell I haven't been there in 4 years? Most tourists don't choose to wallow there, because that's all there is to do.

Baht is strong, but the same can be said for other regional countries. This area is too far away for a steady stream of Americans, so with European and Australian currencies in trouble the dependence on China and Korea has grown considerably.

Looking at my bookings, mainly western tourists, it looks bad for the upcoming high season. Having said that, i also see a trend where people book activities later and not months in advance anymore, so there is still hope.

4 hours ago, joeyg said:

We used to be treated like kings.

Who is we?

If you mean Falang get with the real world they are a thing of the past and currently way down on the priority list. Treated more of an annoyance it seems at this point.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yes there will be a high season. but not for so much for business that cater to western tourists. that is over. 

Hua Hin is very busy right now.

I went out for a few beers last night. I didn't go into town or Soi 80 but I drove around Takiab and Soi 94 / 102 - pretty much everything was closed after midnight, those few places that were open were empty.

It was like a ghost town. I'm sure there were a few people in the town center but it's far from busy and I couldn't be bothered at that stage so I just went home instead.

I heard there was some kind of concert on in Baan Khun Por (I didn't go) so maybe that's where everyone went last night.

52 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Who is we?

If you mean Falang get with the real world they are a thing of the past and currently way down on the priority list. Treated more of an annoyance it seems at this point.

Largely because they are an annoyance. I just read a Tripadvisor review column. An English bloke on there wrote a three paragraph complaint because the breakfast cooks in his hotel in KL didn't know what a poached egg was. I stayed in that hotel. The breakfast buffet was sumptious. Malay, Indian, European spreads, as much as you could fit in.

He wanted a poached egg, so the hotel was crap. Sadly all too typical.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I know, but with your 'will there be a real high season this year' subject matter, you already set the debate bar very low.

Makes zero sense to me.  No debate was intended. However you are certainly welcome to your opinion.  I am always interested in how other people think even it's 180 degrees opposite my own...

32 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Largely because they are an annoyance. I just read a Tripadvisor review column. An English bloke on there wrote a three paragraph complaint because the breakfast cooks in his hotel in KL didn't know what a poached egg was. I stayed in that hotel. The breakfast buffet was sumptious. Malay, Indian, European spreads, as much as you could fit in.

I think I mostly agree with you about farangs.  However I've been coming here since 1971.  And do know how to act  appropriately according to time and circumstance.

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Haven't been to Pattaya in well over a decade, and don't particularly care about how the economy there will be this year, but I can tell you this. The harvest in much of Thailand this year is going to be dreadful, and farm incomes will be well down. More men and women than usual seem to have gone off to urban areas looking for employment. To the extent that Pattaya attracts people (both men and women) looking to make a fast buck, I would predict that there might be more people than in recent years looking to sell their wares or relieve you of your possessions.

In terms of tourist volumes, global economic uncertainty is probably going to dampen demand. Climate change is also starting to affect tourism. News reports about drought and water shortages in Asia haven't gone unnoticed. As winters in many Western countries become ever milder, the incentive to travel to a tropical destination drops as well.

We're on the same page.  This is what i was looking for.  A reality check for myself.   Thanks....

39 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Sadly you are Accurately describing the unfolding phenomenon. Too bad really.  However I think you're pretty much nailed it.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I went out for a few beers last night. I didn't go into town or Soi 80 but I drove around Takiab and Soi 94 / 102 - pretty much everything was closed after midnight, those few places that were open were empty.

It was like a ghost town. I'm sure there were a few people in the town center but it's far from busy and I couldn't be bothered at that stage so I just went home instead.

I heard there was some kind of concert on in Baan Khun Por (I didn't go) so maybe that's where everyone went last night.

those are all places for white people. i am talking about Chinese tourists. they are here by the bus loads. 

no Chinese people are going to soi 88, 94 or 102 to go to farang restaurants and no way to be anywhere near old white men with Thai prostitute girlfriends or even mixed race marriages.   

they are in 5 star hotels on the beach and in houses and Air BnB condos in Takiab where I live. 

take a moment to think like a Chinese woman on vacation in Thailand. I see groups of them walking around. 

Spas, massage, makeup, hair, beach, selfies, hotel pool, Bluport, shopping, 5 star restaurants in 5 star beach front hotel. in their rooms by 9pm.     

18 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Any destinations especially got you interest.  

I'm wide open.  Anywhere in the world.  I've done a lot of research.  Curious what your searches have turned up.

With high/ low seasons it’s getting harder and harder every year to predict the trend. Last year December was dead but then January , Feb, March and April were busy.

right now it’s dead but I already have non refundable bookings for April , and a few rooms as well. 

Never in the last did I get non refundable reservations that early for so far ahead . 

Right now in my opinion world is in still mode waiting to see, if nothing comes about 1-3 months , all back to normal. UK admittedly is a bit of a question mark at the moment as pound keeps falling, so perhaps will not see as many brits this year .

ozzies have had crappy rate for few years now, so not bothered much , euro about the same 

46 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Spas, massage, makeup, hair, beach, selfies, hotel pool, Bluport, shopping, 5 star restaurants in 5 star beach front hotel. in their rooms by 9pm.

Thats the tourists we want!

Folks have to stop looking at the Thai tourist industry with sexpat Walking Street beer goggles. Those days are over.

A lot  of old yobs wearing Leeds wifebeaters and drinking BiaSing in front of fan guesthouses at 10am does not a tourist season make.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

those are all places for white people. i am talking about Chinese tourists. they are here by the bus loads. 

no Chinese people are going to soi 88, 94 or 102 to go to farang restaurants and no way to be anywhere near old white men with Thai prostitute girlfriends or even mixed race marriages.   

they are in 5 star hotels on the beach and in houses and Air BnB condos in Takiab where I live. 

take a moment to think like a Chinese woman on vacation in Thailand. I see groups of them walking around. 

Yeah I live in Takiab, everything's closed up and they're all asleep in bed by midnight these days. It wasn't like this 4 or 5 years ago.

I think the days of mass tourism from other countrys is over for now ,what with all the problems in the west and the far to strong baht,Pattaya has become like many British seaside towns ,a place where people go for a day out,for the beach ,the malls and just to have a picnic etc ,hence the masses of traffic at the week ends. As for tourism ,welcome the the new lot ,just all in tours ,everything supplied.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

A lot  of old yobs wearing Leeds wifebeaters and drinking BiaSing in front of fan guesthouses at 10am does not a tourist season make.

B-b-b-but when we all pack up and move to Vietnam, leaving our 3,000Bht/Mo rooms and stop eating ramen every day, surely it will crash the Thai economy!  ????

Archived