Lastest from Richard Barrow on TM30

11 minutes ago, rumak said:

I do believe that many other provinces would treat it the same way..(but of that I of course am not sure.... Here is how we do it:

That's a CM speciality, actually a good one to make it easier, but afaik CM is the only province doing it this way

11 minutes ago, rumak said:

We as owners should do the first one when the tenant moves in.

There is no need for the owner to do the first, this can be done by the tenant.

Important is that Chiang Mai requires one initial TM30 with the supporting documents, after you have done this the foreigner staying at this address can to it by himself in the way you described. (Submitting a TM30 + documents every time is of course still possible to do, so if somebody lives far away from the immigration office to do it the regular way by mail might be easier)

Edited by jackdd

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's a CM speciality, actually a good one to make it easier, but afaik CM is the only province doing it this way

There is no need for the owner to do the first, this can be done by the tenant.

Important is that they require one initial TM30 with the supporting documents, after you have done this the foreigner staying at this address can to it by himself in the way you described. (Submitting a TM30 + documents is of course still possible to do, so if somebody lives far away from the immigration office to do it the regular way by mail might be easier)

We do it first to INSURE that it is done properly .  I find that tenants usually don't understand as well as we do how to get it done easily so better we do for OUR peace of mind  ????

As for other provinces... Maybe someone can start a thread and ask ?  Hell, whats one more TM30 thread  lol

CM used to be the WORST place to deal with.  Not bad nowadays.  And when returning to report no forms or anything (except new arrival card no) .   Maybe a 5 minute procedure

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

Another issue that is very unclear is the notion that you only complete a TM.30 if you return from visiting another province, (or returning from abroad).

This is not so. I live and own my condo in Bangkok. During its 4+ months of renovation I am staying at a serviced apartment, which filed a TM.30 when I checked in. When I return to my renovated apartment, I will have to complete a TM.30, although I have not left Thailand, or Bangkok, or the district in Bangkok. (My condo address is still my permanent address, so I do not complete a TM.28.)

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

How does anyone know if you have travelled out of the province for the weekend? I would be filling out and going through the TM30 submission rigmarole most weekends, travelling inter-province to play golf....I guess I am not alone in this situation and I also guess that the majority will just not bother. 

Because where you stay will submit one so it will be shown on record that you failed to report your return. 

Its happened to me but fortunately I returned to the office within 24 hours so the records tied up. 

Edited by Kadilo

14 minutes ago, samtam said:

And by the by, kudos to Richard Barrow and the FCCT and the panelists, including the senior Immigration staff who attended. The answers were not wholly satisfactory, but at least the Police General has said they "will look into the issues" that were raised. I am not hopeful of any speedy changes to make life more convenient for all parties concerned, including the bureaucracy at Immigration, and indeed, he said as much.

I have read the blog from Richard Barrow and now might feel even more confused.

At one hand there is the "law" and on the other hand there are "opinions how to interpret this law" and it seems that the persons at "senior Immigration Staff"  where speaking on their own offices behalf and not nation wide.

It feels a kind of silly but it seems that the only "law" they want to enforce is about TM30 ( art 38 ) and the TM47 ( art 37 ) and somehow everybody has to carry the burden but Immigration office's

A lot of info, to find in a lot of different topics,  forums and then some internet places, but somehow they all mix up the "law" applicable.

for me; i will do my best to comply, but i do travel a lot (different provinces) and not always sleep in a hotel... most of the places i attend are schools where i lecture or temples where i give classes or shows... and so far they provided me with accommodation for sleepover.

I do have an "fixed" adres with yellow Tabien Baan, Pink ID card, DL with my thai ID nr on it and some paperwork that allow's me to travel around.

I do have a TE 20 year visa but don't have / need a work permit to do what i do.

I will patiently wait how things will unfold and will comply to the best of my knowledge and within the limits of what is human possible 

My friends suggest that we could file each time per registered mail but that would lean towards malicious compliance if everybody would do so.
( how much paperwork would it create if every foreigner would drop his whereabouts per post onto each Immigration Officers desk ?)

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Many things in this article are just wrong, too many for me to correct them all now, so i only correct the biggest mistake:

This is wrong, if you stay at a house or condo and have a rental contract in your name you will be considered the possessor and you also have the obligation to submit the TM30

Barrow's immigration office stamps a warning on the 90 day receipts that within 24 hours of returning to the kingdom the FOREIGNER has to report, I know as I get the same.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, My 2 cents said:

My friends suggest that we could file each time per registered mail but that would lean towards malicious compliance if everybody would do so.
( how much paperwork would it create if every foreigner would drop his whereabouts per post onto each Immigration Officers desk ?)

At the moment we (without User IDs and passwords) have no alternative, (to avoid a visit in person to CW in my case). It's not malicious compliance, but just compliance. The IMM officers at the FCCT complained of long hours and being overworked, failing to see the irony of a problem in their own making, and failing to see the obvious solution at their disposal, (adding sufficient staff to cope with their enforcement of a 40 year old dormant law). Indeed, they did not answer any of these related issues, but trotted out the falsehood that it's "easy" to register online, despite strong evidence to the contrary, of which they must be aware. None of their responses to questions actually answered what was being asked. The only faint glimmer of hope is that if they were not aware of the problems of the enforcement of this law in particular, (but as we know, not many others in the kingdom, such as, for example driving laws etc), they have acknowledged that now they are. They did not offer any means of addressing the issues, which would after all beneficially affect their own operation, and fulfill their well-intentioned desire to protect the security of the Thai state, for both Thais and foreigners. Unfortunately I do not expect any changes to be implemented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KBS999 said:

Ive had a retirement visa for 5 years. I didn't come here for any of this, TM30, 90 days, money in the bank. Its all too much. So many other places to go with out all this nonsense. Leaving in 8 days. YIPPEE 

Yes, when I reid I'll be so busy, I won't have time to spend 10 min at immigration 4 times a year,  and the odd TM 30. 

And getting my pension sent to a local bank,  what an inconvenience !!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KBS999 said:

Ive had a retirement visa for 5 years. I didn't come here for any of this, TM30, 90 days, money in the bank. Its all too much. So many other places to go with out all this nonsense. Leaving in 8 days. YIPPEE 

where to ?

5 hours ago, rumak said:

Just like many immig things, it is open to interpretation, not black and white as the debaters insist.  Like I said,  I was told by CM how to do it and we have not had any problems following it that way.

This would be a whole lot easier if one person (the Home Secretary for example in UK in reverse) made a decision and disseminated it to all offices around the Kingdom instead of the current system of delegating to 'a bloke with a whistle in the car park'!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyBKK said:

For me it's simple, if I don't get my password for the TM30 I will not do it neither the 90 days report as it can't be done without TM30. I will not spend a whole day at the immigration to file those documents. 

You will be the one paying the fines, the IO won't mind.

13 minutes ago, evadgib said:

This would be a whole lot easier if one person (the Home Secretary for example in UK in reverse) made a decision and disseminated it to all offices around the Kingdom instead of the current system of delegating to 'a bloke with a whistle in the car park'!

This is published already, if you don't want to risk a fine just follow the written law.

This means every time you stay or come back to stay somewhere where you are the owner, housemaster or possessor you have to file a TM30 for yourself.

Afaik all changes to the application of the law which are done by the different immigration offices make following the law easier.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

You will be the one paying the fines, the IO won't mind.

This is published already, if you don't want to risk a fine just follow the written law.

This means every time you stay or come back to stay somewhere where you are the owner, housemaster or possessor you have to file a TM30 for yourself.

Afaik all changes to the application of the law which are done by the different immigration offices make following the law easier.

I don't care paying fines, what I care about is my precious time. As long as I'm not banned for not filing the tm30 and 90 days report it's fine. They are asking for too many documents that are impossible to get without a visit to the immigration.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

And getting my pension sent to a local bank,  what an inconvenience !!

None so far, but what if they started hitting you with income tax? Which they could do if they applied Thai law, as they do now for the TM30.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 1