Van collision with truck leaves 11 dead

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, transam said:

So why does a small country like LOS, with in place laws, have near the worst road carnage record...?

I'm not disputing the statistics, why are you asking me that question?  

I was responding to the poster who bizarrely claimed that when laws are enforced, i.e. in countries other than Thailand, those countries don't get daily road deaths.  They do.

So far the dead on the roads,would amount to over 16 Jumbo jets crashing

in Thailand,that puts it in perspective,and if that actually occurred,there would

something done about it..........but it's just another day in paradise.

RIP to all those that lost their lives,you will be missed.

regards Worgeordie

2 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

Okay, I’ll bite. People complain about these roadblocks because they are indeed useless/pointless with regards to improving road safety. Typically all the BIB do is extract fines for lapsed or nonexistent registration, with said fines being part of the BIB’s “supplemental” income. So ultimately these roadblocks have almost zero effect on improving road safety here.

There is no active patrolling of the roads here and various illegal and dangerous road behavior is actually ignored, even when witnessed by the BIB.

It wasn't a case of 'biting' - it was a genuine question to someone who complained nothing was being done but had no idea what they should be doing (outside some emojis) - but unconstructive whining is a feature here it seems.

So stopping people for drinking/drug driving isn't going to help ? I have no idea of the numbers, do you ? but I know several foreigners who have been stopped just in my town so I can imagine its quite a high number overall. So its a nonsense to say they won't have an effect. Then there's the crap dangerous bikes that are seized at these roadblocks, is that not helping ? There are far more people wearing helmets now than when I first came here but things like that can take generations to take a foothold (a bit like drink driving in the UK)

I agree about the patrolling, its weird I have never seen someone halted on the move.

Personally I don't understand the horrendous figures as it drives me insane when 75% of the people in front of me are driving like snails - they're not going fast enough to be killed !!

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I suspect you are going to get some flak for your nonsensical post.  Road blocks AKA 'stick-ups' is merely a moneymaking exercise by RTP; from my observations at Pattaya Cop shop at least 15K per hour is collected as ransom for your licence; these are only the ones you see; there are lots more fines going direct to the cop.  The blocks  merely hold up traffic, making a nation of impatient drivers more impatient.

My strategy would be to put cops out on motor bikes at NIGHT & WEEKENDS.  Speedsters/red light runners/helmetless bikers all know the above times when they can drive with impunity.

Been stopped probably 100+ times and yet to hand over a baht

So drink/drug drivers and dangerous vehicles should not run the risk of being stopped correct ?

Something numerous lobby groups are constantly calling for in the UK, they have here.

Clearly more needs to be done, but there are precious few solutions coming forward. (agree with your motorbike cops at night) -I would also like to see a crushing programme (for the bikes not the people) who drive around with no helmets - including for foreigners who do it and then complain how dangerous thai roads are. Start with them.

rescue services work so hard cleaning up the  carnage,this out of control Nation throws at them daily....A conveyor belt of road fatalities,the cycle of death on the roads of Thailand...

3 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

When thai police set up road blocks/checks they are condemned on here as pointless

What would be your strategy ? 

Those roadblocks and check points are just money making schemes.  The Mia Nois demand it.....

27 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

So how should they get there ?I wouldn't get on one but how many crash compared to how many who don't ?

Thousands and thousands and thousands of these journeys …..

when I was doing border runs, I used a low cost airline to go to Singapore and back in one day.  Cost the same and a damn sight safer. There are alternatives to these vans and their agents

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

when I was doing border runs, I used a low cost airline to go to Singapore and back in one day.  Cost the same and a damn sight safer. There are alternatives to these vans and their agents

You can fly to Da Nang and back for 2,400bht, although you need to stay overnight, plenty of rooms available for $10..

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You can fly to Da Nang and back for 2,400bht, although you need to stay overnight, plenty of rooms available for $10..

a much better alternative than an overnight van trip. 

19 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

It wasn't a case of 'biting' - it was a genuine question to someone who complained nothing was being done but had no idea what they should be doing (outside some emojis) - but unconstructive whining is a feature here it seems.

So stopping people for drinking/drug driving isn't going to help ? I have no idea of the numbers, do you ? but I know several foreigners who have been stopped just in my town so I can imagine its quite a high number overall. So its a nonsense to say they won't have an effect. Then there's the crap dangerous bikes that are seized at these roadblocks, is that not helping ? There are far more people wearing helmets now than when I first came here but things like that can take generations to take a foothold (a bit like drink driving in the UK)

I agree about the patrolling, its weird I have never seen someone halted on the move.

Personally I don't understand the horrendous figures as it drives me insane when 75% of the people in front of me are driving like snails - they're not going fast enough to be killed !!

Road blocks will catch the farang because they do not hear the jungle drums. As soon as a road block is set up the locals know about it, they also know when and where blocks are set up...Even I know now around my area..:stoner:

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

would love to know what strategies they have in place to reduce the death toll by even 5 - 10%.

IMHO..This will never end, its to out of control and engrained in this lawless ,emboldend, shameless, societly.Thais will find a way around any strategy ,leaving this Nation destined to be #1 with a bullet forever....sometimes the bashing is necessary...

No worries....the New 'High Speed Train' will wisk all these people to the Borders much quicker and safer.    That is; if the driving cabs are not full of empty Beer Bottles, the driver is not on Yaba and he can actually keep his eyes open for the entire journey !

1 hour ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Okay, so you obviously don't know the expression "I'll bite". It's a figurative term, meaning I'll reply to your attempt at trolling/baiting for a response. (Notice the fishing references?) If someone makes a statement that is borderline crazy (i.e. "trolling") that most people wouldn't typically reply to, often someone's response will start with, "I'll take the bait", or "I'll bite". So to be more clear, I didn't mean I was literally going to bite anything. I meant that your statement "When thai police set up road blocks/checks they are condemned on here as pointless. What would your strategy be?" implying that said roadblocks (as they're currently implemented) actually have any efficacy in making the roads here safer, is absurd.

If you read the rest of my post you'll see I said, "Typically all the BIB do is extract fines for lapsed or nonexistent registration,..." which is quite true. Granted I've only lived here two years, but I've never seen these roadblocks catch any drunk drivers. They are almost always deployed at the end of the month (when their "payments" are due) and pretty much always used to fine people with no/expired licenses and/or registration papers. Further, I'd be willing to bet that a majority of these roadblocks in Thailand that "are condemned on here as pointless" are for the same purpose (i.e. NOT for catching drunk drivers). Hell, I've seen people riding their motorbike and cars/trucks down the shoulder of the road in the opposite direction of traffic, less than a hundred meters of these "checkpoints" and the BIB do nothing. If they just started with those lazy @$$ drivers, that would at least be a start to making these roads safe.

You say you know a number of foreigners who've been stopped. I'm a foreigner and I've been stopped a couple of times in my two years here. So what. They checked my license and registration and I was on my way. If they actually went out and "policed" (note the word used as a verb and not a noun) the roads here, that would have a much greater effect on making the roads safer here.

You say "its a nonsense to say they won't have an effect" and I think most thinking people on this forum would disagree. If they were so effective, why are Thailand's roads some of the most dangerous in the world (and have been that way for many years)?

In the 21st century why is it necessary to transport people hundreds of km simply to get another stamp on their passport? 

This could be done by a virtual in and out at a local office, whether run by Immigration or an agency like VFS. 

I suspect powerful figures in the van business would try to stop this, but the Government could actually make more money charging a fee for doing this, many hours of worker time could be saved as well as many  of the lives lost in road collisions.

5 hours ago, Ramdas said:

Here we go again ???? not a day that goes by without an accident causing death and destruction  ????????‍♂️

Does anybody in the government care ?! It doesn’t look like they do otherwise they’d enforce rules and regulations as they do in other countries..

I don’t think speed is always the cause of the accident, since even when they drive slow ( while they’re on their phone or watching a tv ) Hence not paying attention what’s around them, it’s a prefect formula that lead to another accident..

Too bad innocent people have to be affected by Thais careless and stupidity on the wheels ☹️

On wheels and at immigration offices and rules rules rules that supply nothing to this society except cause confusion and healthy financial spreadsheets for the banks.... and others perhaps? 

The toads are a joke... that harbor death and destruction. Yet no one give anymore than lip service.

God speed to those that were killed by said service and I empathize with their families as well as those responded to the scene. The latter never quite get over those sight!

For shame thailand for doing nothing. 

10 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

In the 21st century why is it necessary to transport people hundreds of km simply to get another stamp on their passport? 

This could be done by a virtual in and out at a local office, whether run by Immigration or an agency like VFS. 

I suspect powerful figures in the van business would try to stop this, but the Government could actually make more money charging a fee for doing this, many hours of worker time could be saved as well as many  of the lives lost in road collisions.

You are pretty well on the mark, but TIT so don't ever apply any logical thought on how to do things, if Thai's don't care - nothing we can do to fix it. 

Bear in mind, farangs don't understand Thailand "we are different". 

11 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Many Lao are here under the migrant worker scheme and don't need to do border runs. These particular people will be working here 'under the table' in sectors not covered by the migrant worker scheme like restaurants or for an employer that doesn't want to do the paperwork. The solution is for them to stay using tourist visas and visa exempts. 

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Police suspect Thai van driver Sansern Sathongkhan might have dozed off behind the wheel

Another case where "speeding" is  not relevant, cameras  would not have stopped  this, speeding is always  used as the be  all end  all and it mostly is not.

5 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

Okay, I’ll bite. People complain about these roadblocks because they are indeed useless/pointless with regards to improving road safety. Typically all the BIB do is extract fines for lapsed or nonexistent registration, with said fines being part of the BIB’s “supplemental” income. So ultimately these roadblocks have almost zero effect on improving road safety here.

There is no active patrolling of the roads here and various illegal and dangerous road behavior is actually ignored, even when witnessed by the BIB.

To be fair, the BiB are cracking down on night time boy racers on their Honda Waves as it keeps them awake in their night salas.

Archived