Vietnam is a big rip off

OzMan

9 hours ago, madmen said:

What tourist is going to fly half way around the world for a well earned holiday to catch a bus? Vietnam is still learning how to scam and taxis plus snatch and grab leading the way

Bus man would , what a blog , tickets please .555

Been to Vietnam five times. I only live 100km from the border.

Very underwhelming and quite scruffy except round the lake in Hanoi.

$17 for a semi decent cigar. Food reasonable, coffee magnificent, the rest, meh...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amykat said:

Ron Jeremy,

Respectfully, May I suggest that you don’t say to people that they are selling things “far too cheaply” especially a taxi who can’t necessarily control their pricing unless they cheat.  How do you think they feel about that, if they hear that over and over from so-called rich tourists or foreigners??  I bet they feel ripped off and angry ....not happy for sure.  

Even if you give a tip to compensate, better to just give a tip, as if it is only for good service with a thank you, that is more respectful and would leave a more positive feeling I think.

I think you are not exactly new to SE Asia, as in this is not your first trip or you would not be on this forum I think, walking around expressing that you feel everything is so cheap is counter productive to your long term stay here.

I don't feel everything is cheap here, and I simply and politely said I thought the ride was of great value and a 50 cent tip was not over the top.

i am sure the young man appreciated it by the look on his face. And he most certainly wasn't angry, or feeling ripped off.

he didn't understand English by the way.

Edited by Ron jeremy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, moobob306 said:

I'm just waiting for the kid I have with a Thai girl

will be able to go and return from school on his own  .

And then with a joyful heart ...I will leave "This lovelly place "

So you will leave your kid behind ? 

I have taken Saigon taxis to some non-tourist destinations in D3 and D7. I have taken many taxis from D1 to the airport and the route has 90% of the time been exactly the same, and only varied due to heavy traffic before they constructed the flyover before the airport ramp. Always got there on a reasonable fare and routing. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 4:31 PM, Cadbury said:

<snip>.I use taxis almost every day in Vietnam and have done for 12 years find them a very honest lot. Maybe an odd one occasionally tries it on.

Look like a sucker, behave like a sucker and you will be sucked.

Go to a different part of the world, where you haven't been for 12 years and have no idea what the rules are, and you'll be a sucker like everyone else. 12 years anywhere and you know every scam in the book ... but don't misinform people on here that Vietnam taxi drivers are "a very honest lot" ... the majority who spend time there know thats a <snip>

• Like 1

Posts edited to remove inflammatory comment.

Please do not refer to others content as "garbage" or "lies" its inflammatory.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 7:28 AM, HeyHeyHey said:

Those who says against Vietnam are usually heavily invested in Thailand

You're probably right. But, on the other hand, pro Vietnam (and Cambodia) people are often those who couldn't comply with Thai Immi regulations for some reasons.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

You're probably right. But, on the other hand, pro Vietnam (and Cambodia) people are often those who couldn't comply with Thai Immi regulations for some reasons.

8 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Those who say against Thailand, and claim that Vietnam is soooo much better, were usually forced to leave Thailand for one or another reason

I looked at Cambodia and Vietnam as possible retirement destinations when I first decided to relocate to S.E. Asia.

Loved both countries, found both cheaper but lacked the infastructure, westernisation of Thailand.

A big deciding factor was long term visas which, at the time, seemed cheaper, more secure and easier in Thailand.

Still try to visit both countries as much as possible, but I've made my bed in Thailand and now I'm lying in it (and loving it).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 1:59 PM, BritManToo said:

I always use the bus, wherever I am.

Vietnam has an android app for each city, showing routes and bus in real time.

5,000VND (25c) for all local trips, 20,000VND for out of town trips.

What's the name of the app you use?

On 10/4/2019 at 11:19 PM, bbi1 said:

What's the name of the app you use?

BuSMap

Hanoi was more expensive, bus from airport to Old City was 35,000VND.

Got ripped off for around $12.50 on my last trip (earlier this week),

$5 overcharge on the Hanoi city food tour for booking online, $5 on the train ticket refund when I changed train times also for booking online, $2.50 for an inedible meal which looked like fresh noodles on the menu, but turned out to be pot noodles on a plate.

Note to self, stop booking stuff online, it's cheaper in person on the day.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 10:40 AM, Ron jeremy said:

... came back to Thailand after Nam, walked thru a clothes market, the Thais were trying their best to sell me t- shirts etc, clothes were half price or less in Nam. I told them I could buy far cheaper in nam, they grumbled and shook their heads as I walked away.

My wife in the USA would get good deals on clothes and bring/send them back to relatives in Thailand occasionally.  Many had "Made in Vietnam" on the label.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 1:48 PM, ThePioneer said:

Those who say against Thailand, and claim that Vietnam is soooo much better, were usually forced to leave Thailand for one or another reason

So, does that mean it's impossible Vietnam is better?

Some have a look over the other side of the fence by choice, and see the grass is greener.  Some are pushed over the fence and then see the grass it greener. 

Either way, the grass is greener in Vietnam for many.  

Of course, it comes down to personal choice, but when I go to visit friends who have moved there from Thailand, they say they wished they moved earlier.

• 3 months later...
On 8/18/2019 at 3:13 AM, madmen said:

What tourist is going to fly half way around the world for a well earned holiday to catch a bus? Vietnam is still learning how to scam and taxis plus snatch and grab leading the way

I routinely fly 1/2 way around the world and thoroughly enjoy mass or public transportation.  It is a great way to look out the window and see things.  It is cheap.  It is certainly safer than riding a motorbike over there.  Pattaya for example I always loved and will love because the baht buses are running all over the place and are incredibly easy to hop on and off as needed.  Don't sell buses so short.  If on holiday it can be very un stressful to hop on an air conditioned bus to get through city traffic instead of other means.  Let them do the driving. 

• Like 1

they tried text book scams on me, on arriving by plane in HCMC we told taxi driver our hotel name, off we go, they take us to one with no visible sign, they show us the card of the hotel we asked for, it was a classic scam where they take you to their hotel instead, it didn't work, i was half expecting it when we got in the taxi

• 3 weeks later...

I have just got back.

I am not sure if I will return.

Ripoffs everywhere, usually small, like charging me for a wet wipe in a cafe, which I used because there were no paper napkins.

To big rip offs, such as VietJet cancelled my return trip with out notice.

I had to buy another ticket on Air Asia.

Edited by CuriousKen
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Went 4x in the last year, always got the bus from the airport ($1 Saigon, 25c Da Nang, $2 HaNoi).

No scams, cigarette lady wanted $20 for a bag of cannabis, but I knew it only cost $10.

One trip AirAsia rescheduled my flight to the next day, 2 months warning no big deal (retn flight was only 2,500bht).

Think I was overcharged $2 for a food tour in HaNoi.

Beer was really cheap on all the trips, hotels and homestays about $15/night.

I enjoyed each trip, did lots of sightseeing, Hang Mua was particularly impressive.

IMG_20191006_090045.jpg

I see some hills and grass. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/18/2019 at 9:31 AM, madmen said:

I'm pretty sure my post wasn't aimed at all the expats in Chiang Mai but you knew that, Why play games?

I fly to Bangkok from Amsterdam and get the bell bus from the airport,at the end of my trip I like to spend a few nights in Bangkok so I take the bus from Jomtien to the airport and then the train into town and the SkyTrain down to my hotel on Sukhumvit.

Wild horses wouldn't get me in a taxi on the Thai roads.

Next year I might go to Bali and I rather fancy flying to Jakarta then taking the train through Java down to the Bali ferry stopping off in different places on the way.

Just a small backpack.its not about the money and I have time. 

• Like 2