Where to buy furniture (an office desk) in CM?

davidupatterson

nearest place to you is Perfect Furniture.

Take road from home down towards Global, its 2km on the left.

Have two floors of what i call mfi type crap but upstairs some proper "Im the boss furniture"

They deliver of course. (and onions maybe?)

3 hours ago, davidupatterson said:

Thanks, all. Looking for something in wood if that helps. Appreciate the suggestions! 

Go to the shop called Roong Ruang in between BIg C and Makro. It looks like a normal Thai shop but three shops wide.

They have wide range of tables both wood and metal.

Ikea's usual 2,000 baht delivery fee to Chiang Mai is currently reduced to 570 baht.

Their motorized sit/stand desks are terrific, I am standing at mine right now. I physically could not work the hours I do if I could not alternate between sitting and standing. They also have a small, non-motorized sit/stand desk for less than half the price but, realistically, if you have to hand crank that thing every time you feel like standing you will probably end up sitting most of the time.

Make sure to get some sort of thick rubber mat too, I use the Topo Anti-Fatigue Standing Desk Mat which costs around $100 on Amazon and is terrific, but the shipping fee import duties to Thailand would be another $150, it is a great big hunk of rubber. You can get a rubber anti-fatigue mat which is thinner but still useful on Aliexpress for around $50 including delivery to Chiang Mai. That will probably do the job unless you are particularly heavy.

I can also recommend Ikea's Markus office chair, which is 5,000 baht. I have the black leather one and really love it. A lot of my friends, who work the same crazy hours online as I do, agree that it is the best sub-$800 chair you can get. There are better chairs if you can spend a grand or so, but they would be hard to find in Thailand and you would probably have to pay a hefty premium to a "luxury" retailer. Don't even think about importing one, the tariffs are crazy.

A lot of people turn their nose up at Ikea but, in the context of Thailand, and whatever special deals they struck to be able to import their stuff without crippling tariffs, they are a godsend. I wasted weeks trying to find a standing desk at a reasonable price when I was getting set up a few years back. Their prices when they first opened were slightly less than Ikea in Europe but, obviously, the rise of the baht has skewed that. Still worth it.

You also have to pay a 200 baht picking fee per order, but the order can be as big as you want. This pays for someone to go round the Bangkok store collecting all your purchases, as you would have to if you were there yourself (and you'd probably end up having to file a TM30 too ????).

Then the 570 baht pays for the guys who drive all your stuff up to Chiang Mai. My understanding is that the deliverly guys will lift your heavy orders into whichever room you want them, that is all part of what you are paying for.

You can assemble them yourself, I found both the desk and the chair pretty easy, or can opt to pay an extra 7% for any item you want the delivery guys to assemble for you. Honestly, I would not bother unless you are particularly cack-handed, the visual instructions are clear and easy to follow.

It is probably worth loading up on a load of small purchases within the same order. Ikea has some good stuff, definitely better than Index, Big C and the other Chiang Mai options.

Good luck with getting set up, you will never regret the money you spend on good work equipment ... unless we all get thrown out of Thailand next month to make room for all the Indian millionaires.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Perfect furniture right at Big C coming from Kad about 3km on the 2nd ring road ????

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend that as the prices and selection aren't as good as Roon Ruang.

Perfect furniture is owned by Thai of Indian Sikh ancestry.

EUREKA WORKING TABLE, SIZE 120 CM - WHITE
Price / special price
3,390 THB

Index living mall sells these, they may have to order. Check out there online e catalogue.I know three people including an artist that use them . Its a German company and the best desk (table) I ever owned or used in Thailand. They have different sizes and colors, but is the stability and usable space. I rented this condo & immediatly ran out to Index mall to see if they still sold them. I value, I highly value,  a great working space / desk. Here in CM I picked it up, drove it home. My first one in Nakhon Nowhere was delivered free, they now have a fee if below a certain amount.

110030822_1558584901901rsey.jpg

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

EUREKA WORKING TABLE, SIZE 120 CM - WHITE
Price / special price
3,390 THB

Index living mall sells these, they may have to order. Check out there online e catalogue.I know three people including an artist that use them . Its a German company and the best desk (table) I ever owned or used in Thailand. They have different sizes and colors, but is the stability and usable space. I rented this condo & immediatly ran out to Index mall to see if they still sold them. I value, I highly value,  a great working space / desk. Here in CM I picked it up, drove it home. My first one in Nakhon Nowhere was delivered free, they now have a fee if below a certain amount.

110030822_1558584901901rsey.jpg

That's the one I have. The only drawback is the lack of storage space for office supplies and personal items.

desk.jpg

On 8/20/2019 at 6:09 AM, EricTh said:

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend that as the prices and selection aren't as good as Roon Ruang.

Admittedly PF doesnt have the same quantity of furniture than Roon, or even Chan furniture next door but its all the same

Both use the same suppliers, mainly kitco and Sure. Hell of a lot of real cheapo <deleted>.

However the OP lives Hang Dong so he may aswell check out PF which is on his doorstep.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:09 PM, EricTh said:

I do not find ethnic or religious comments relevent to shopping which is what this thread is about.  Why do you include them? 

Archived