BANGKOK
Bredbury Blue

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

As VAR is already proving to be a big talking point with its introduction to the Premier League this season, i thought I'd open a thread.

I have actually been for bringing in VAR in to our league, but i in the way used in rugby union where the ref requests a review of an incident, and not in its actual format of checking every penalty and goal incident and taking the decision away from the ref to the VAR. Guess I'll get used to it in time.

• Like 1

With regards Jesus VAR disallowed goal vs Spurs (poor guy had 2 goals disallowed this season in 2 games), Shearer makes a good point:

“That handball law is just ridiculous,” he claimed.

“It is ridiculous.

“There’s not one player on that pitch who appealed or even thought [it was a handball].

“Two players making similar actions towards the ball, if it hits the defender’s arm it’s not given as a penalty.

“That is not fair, is it?”

Posted (edited)

Just been reading the new handball law - link below - and im still not convinced that was handball by Laporte and the goal by Jesus should have been ruled out.

Laporte and a Spurs player (Sissoko?) both go for the ball with their head, both miss it and the ball unintentionally and non deliberately glances off Laporte's arm. Why is that handball? Had the ball dropped to Laporte who scored i might understand why it could be considered handball under the new law but it shoots past to Jesus who stretches and controls it, composes himself and puts it in. 

So which exact words of the handball law are being applied by VAR to rule handball on Laporte

http://theifab.com/laws/chapter/32/section/92/

0_GettyImages-1168644544.jpg

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Sad 1

Some form of video assistance is long overdue. Not entirely sure about this version though. We need to forget all the locker room and bar arguments about it spoiling the game. The cold hard fact remains that football is a business where clubs can lose or gain millions of pounds down to incompetent refereeing or players blatantly cheating to con the referee. What fans want or think doesn't come in to it anymore for clubs in the top divisions. There are figures out there to show that more than half of the English premier division clubs would still be in profit if they played to empty stadiums.

I agree the new hand ball rule is going to turn people right off VAR. My preferred option would be to give Captains 3 calls per half rather like tennis. If they are right they don't lose any.

22 minutes ago, dode57k said:

Some form of video assistance is long overdue. Not entirely sure about this version though. We need to forget all the locker room and bar arguments about it spoiling the game. The cold hard fact remains that football is a business where clubs can lose or gain millions of pounds down to incompetent refereeing or players blatantly cheating to con the referee. What fans want or think doesn't come in to it anymore for clubs in the top divisions. There are figures out there to show that more than half of the English premier division clubs would still be in profit if they played to empty stadiums.

I agree the new hand ball rule is going to turn people right off VAR. My preferred option would be to give Captains 3 calls per half rather like tennis. If they are right they don't lose any.

What a load of crap. Football is about the fans. Period. "What fans want or think doesn't come in to it anymore...". You should have your mouth washed out with soap.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

VAR is a good idea, but inspecting it for just about anything to the point of the extreme is madness. Next it will be was the scoring side goalkeeper picking his nose and distracting players.

The city goal should have stood. Yes, it hit his arm, but it was not arm to ball it was ball to arm - either that or he had remarkable basketball reflexes !

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jellydog said:

What a load of crap. Football is about the fans. Period. "What fans want or think doesn't come in to it anymore...". You should have your mouth washed out with soap.

Football, (in the top divisions, is about money). I won't tell you you're talking crap but I will say if you really believe it's about the fans you're living in the past.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

VAR is a good idea, but inspecting it for just about anything to the point of the extreme is madness. Next it will be was the scoring side goalkeeper picking his nose and distracting players.

The city goal should have stood. Yes, it hit his arm, but it was not arm to ball it was ball to arm - either that or he had remarkable basketball reflexes !

The law doesn't mention ball to arm.

The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:

• A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm•and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

• A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm•and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity.

Yes, very clear in mentioning a goal scoring opportunity.

By coincidence, just watching the Union Berlin/Leipzig game on Fox. Exact same circumstance as the City 'goal' with the ball coming off a Leipzig players arm straight to a team mate who smashed it into the goal. VAR verdict: no goal. As per the new Law.

No complaints from any of the Leipzig players/manager.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alfieconn said:

But LaPorte didn't gain control/possession of the ball after it touches his ("their" must mean his) hand/arm, and then LaPorte didn't score, or create a goal scoring opportunity did he.

The interesting words are "gains possession/control" and "then creates a goal scoring opportunity".  

At which point did Laporte gain control of the ball?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dode57k said:

Isn't that similar to cricket as well? I think that's a reasonable suggestion.

VAR is killing the spontaneity and the joy of a goal being scored for your team, but I guess in time we will get used to it in time and only celebrate and jump around when the team other team kicks off the restart.

Just now, JaiMaai said:

The interesting words are "gains possession/control" and "then creates a goal scoring opportunity".  

At which point did Laporte gain control of the ball?

EXACTLY!

• Like 1