Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Bredbury Blue

7 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

How can this ridiculous system be in use when it is so bad.

I'm happy to be proved wrong here but this is my understanding

VAR has been in testing for about 3 years now but for some reason the FA have decided to use it differently to the rest of europe which has been under test and been through lessons learnt. Under instruction probably but VAR haven't over turned a ref's decision and a ref hasn't even been to look at a monitor yet. The FA is at fault here

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, mrbojangles said:

I'm happy to be proved wrong here but this is my understanding

VAR has been in testing for about 3 years now but for some reason the FA have decided to use it differently to the rest of europe which has been under test and been through lessons learnt. Under instruction probably but VAR haven't over turned a ref's decision and a ref hasn't even been to look at a monitor yet. The FA is at fault here

It's nothing to do with the FA. The Premier League and the PGMOL are the ones who control how VAR is being used in the EPL.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:32 AM, FarangryBirds said:

As much as I don't really care for the egg-chasing, Watching the world cup I have been impressed with how their VAR works. Mainly because the conversation between the referees and the team in the VAR room is transparent, so we the fans better understand how the end decision was reached.

Football seems to scared to Mic up the refs and show replays on the screen of contentious incidents.

Football can't mic up the refs, because most of the players are overgrown children, and the viewers at home would hear all their swearing and temper tantrums. 

Much better use of VAR in the CL

Penalty given for a tug on Sterling. Over turned correctly VAR as it was a tad outside the box

No penalty given for handball. Overturned by the ref who had a quick look on the monitor and correctly awarded a penalty.

The fact Jesus duffed it and missed is irrelevant ????

All done quite quickly with no drama. PL should take note

Think if he'd checked the VAR monitor for Bravo's sending off he might have changed to a yellow only. Atalanta player cleverly used a trailing leg to make himself go down but yes overall VAR worked better in the CL. Now if they could only get the 4th officials board to work 555 ????

^Guardian agrees

"Looking at Bravo’s dismissal: Studying replays of the incident that led to Bravo’s red card, I think the goalkeeper was hard done by. His decision to rush out of his penalty area was undeniably idiotic, but he didn’t bring Ilicic down. The Atalanta striker saw an opportunity to go down and caressed Bravo’s back with his trailing leg as he went to ground. But through his impetuousness, Bravo gave the referee a decision to make; whether or not he made the right one – in consultation with VAR – is open to debate."

3 hours ago, wilai said:

EJF5EsmW4AE6Y2j?format=jpg&name=small

Don't know where you got that piccie from bud (maybe a Liverpool forum) but that line isn't equal distance from any point. Even taking into account the angle, if you go from the white lines in the box it's not equal and even if you go off the lines in the cut grass it isn't equal. Yes, I just sat here with a ruler and measured it ????

The problem with VAR in England is , the Senior man running the VAR from the studio is at all times a premier league referee . 

So if his mate who is reffing the game makes a decision , his mate in VAR isn't going to over rule him and make him look a chunt.

As for the " going over to the monitor " the refs have been told by their boss Mike Riley not to bother , as he is afraid it will slow the game down .

For me , to make the game better is to ban the offside rule altogether ( worldwide ) , I cannot see a down side to this.

Edited by NE1

35 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Don't know where you got that piccie from bud (maybe a Liverpool forum) but that line isn't equal distance from any point. Even taking into account the angle, if you go from the white lines in the box it's not equal and even if you go off the lines in the cut grass it isn't equal. Yes, I just sat here with a ruler and measured it ????

Off #twatter earlier. Can't remember who posted it. Apparently was the angle used but  you never know.Check out the vid posted earlier by BB. The lines are not parallel to the mown grass either, as was pointed out in some responses. As with a number of offsides with VAR, too close to call with 100% certainty.

So...our first two goals should have been ruled out.....wanna disallow the third?...............for diving?????

26 minutes ago, NE1 said:

The problem with VAR in England is , the Senior man running the VAR from the studio is at all times a premier league referee . 

So if his mate who is reffing the game makes a decision , his mate in VAR isn't going to over rule him and make him look a chunt.

As for the " going over to the monitor " the refs have been told by their boss Mike Riley not to bother , as he is afraid it will slow the game down .

For me , to make the game better is to ban the offside rule altogether ( worldwide ) , I cannot see a down side to this.

They've got to sort out the handball rule also, which if anything has become more complicated. If it hits the hand/arm it's handball - simple.

33 minutes ago, NE1 said:

This is an indication that you might possibly be an imbecile.:smile:

1 minute ago, wilai said:

Off #twatter earlier. Can't remember who posted it. Apparently was the angle used but  you never know.Check out the vid posted earlier by BB. The lines are not parallel to the mown grass either, as was pointed out in some responses. As with a number of offsides with VAR, too close to call with 100% certainty.

So...our first two goals should have been ruled out.....wanna disallow the third?...............for diving?????

Not sure anyone on here has said any goal should be ruled out. The first is contentious and subjective handball - put 10 people in a room and they wouldn't agree on it. The 2nd i hadn't seen VARs ruling (no pun intended) so was enquiring.

First goal was a worldie.

Second goal was a very decent header.

Third goal was "he's behind you" Walker / "limpwrist" Bravo cockup.

Clinical finishes were the difference on the day.

Still like to know what people thought of the Mane push in the box. Penalty?

13 minutes ago, wilai said:

No, not saying that.

I said on the day that they allowed that goal so quickly that it didn't seem like it had even gone to VAR. Considering it was so close it seemed strange as in previousl games like with Alli's we had been subjected to several minutes of VAR lines going across the pitch. With this there was nothing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jellydog said:

This is an indication that you might possibly be an imbecile.:smile:

Why?   Is it the loss of the offside rule ? The overturning of a refs decision ?

Explain what you do not agree with.

Edited by NE1