Jump to content

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

If the ref misses something on the field of play, should VAR (or the 4th official) send him a quick message to review the incident?

 

In the Liverpool - Arsenal match at the w/e, the penalty goal by Salah should NOT have stood. What is VAR actually for? To point out obvious errors or only to assist the ref' when he makes a decision.

Exactly. That's why I said this wasn't the VAR I was hoping it would be

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season, even if it is accidental," says the Premier League. Jesus' goal, technically, was created by the use of

Liverpool almost lost their match against Villa due to VAR not being used consistently. For the Villa goal and the Firmino goal, and the Mane foul in the box.    Villa given a goal through V

VAR is a good idea, but inspecting it for just about anything to the point of the extreme is madness. Next it will be was the scoring side goalkeeper picking his nose and distracting players.  

Posted Images

The reason VAR is not over ruling the refs decisions , is because the VAR controller is a present day ref. Who is not going to over-rule his friend / colleague / team mate on the pitch , because it might show up his incompetence. ( you don't make me look a clown and I won't make you look a clown when it's my turn).

The VAR official should be an ex ref , who has no ties with the present day referees .

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

In the Liverpool - Arsenal match at the w/e, the penalty goal by Salah should NOT have stood. What is VAR actually for? To point out obvious errors or only to assist the ref' when he makes a decision.

Not a penalty??? Yeah right! 👍😁

 

David-Luiz-Mohamed-Salah-penalty-Liverpool-Arsenal-shirt-pull-1169869.jpg?r=1566718596722

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wilai said:

Not a penalty??? Yeah right! 👍😁

 

David-Luiz-Mohamed-Salah-penalty-Liverpool-Arsenal-shirt-pull-1169869.jpg?r=1566718596722

It was a penalty alright. I'm not disputing that. Correct decision.

 

I'm saying that the goal should have been voided and retaken due to a Liverpool player not being the required distance from the spot when the ball was played. If VAR can't pick that up then some teams are going to hard done by. The Liverpool player's distance was a matter of fact, not opinion. VAR should have sorted it.

 

If the penalty had been retaken the goalie might have stopped it or Salah might have missed. IMO he would have scored; but you never know.

Edited by owl sees all
Link to post
Share on other sites

^Perhaps your original post could have been a bit more specific. Didn't notice myself and afaik neither did the commentators, nor Dermot on Sky so I can't comment further.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wilai said:

^Perhaps your original post could have been a bit more specific. Didn't notice myself and afaik neither did the commentators, nor Dermot on Sky so I can't comment further.

Well it is there for all to see.

 

If VAR can't pick that up, I might ask what is the point of having it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well it is there for all to see.

 

If VAR can't pick that up, I might ask what is the point of having it.

The ref and VAR should have picked it up. Henderson's that keen he nearly runs up Salah's ass

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The ref and VAR should have picked it up. Henderson's that keen he nearly runs up Salah's ass

I'm not taking sides but wasn't VAR called upon in a Man City game. over a penalty infringement?

 

I'd like to see fair play all round, not just when the ref' and VAR people like it. This was unfair to Arsenal and ridiculous football decision, not to void the goal and retake. And BTW the way, if the goalie had saved the penalty it also should have been retaken for the same reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

It was a penalty alright. I'm not disputing that. Correct decision.

 

I'm saying that the goal should have been voided and retaken due to a Liverpool player not being the required distance from the spot when the ball was played. If VAR can't pick that up then some teams are going to hard done by. The Liverpool player's distance was a matter of fact, not opinion. VAR should have sorted it.

 

If the penalty had been retaken the goalie might have stopped it or Salah might have missed. IMO he would have scored; but you never know.

I've just watched it in slo mo and every Liverpool player was outside the box when Salah made contact with the ball. Think it's at the 2 min 54 second mark

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm not taking sides but wasn't VAR called upon in a Man City game. over a penalty infringement?

 

I'd like to see fair play all round, not just when the ref' and VAR people like it. This was unfair to Arsenal and ridiculous football decision, not to void the goal and retake. And BTW the way, if the goalie had saved the penalty it also should have been retaken for the same reason.

Had the keeper saved it and Hendo knocked in the rebound then there would be a case.....as in the City game when Rice (one of those encroaching) cleared the ball hence the retake. If VAR is gonna be called in for every case of encroachment irrespective of any actual effect on the penalty then virtually every pen will require retaking as things stand. Not saying your point is wrong but I don't agree that VAR should be used for every single transgression, no matter how minor,

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The ref and VAR should have picked it up. Henderson's that keen he nearly runs up Salah's ass

 

Henderson went a long way back on purpose so that he could run into the box when Salah kicked the ball. He timed it perfectly where his foot was just on the line as Salah made contact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

 

Henderson went a long way back on purpose so that he could run into the box when Salah kicked the ball. He timed it perfectly where his foot was just on the line as Salah made contact.

I think OSA's argument relates to the 'D' as opposed to the box itself so technically encroachment afaik. Hardly up Mo's ass as your fellow City fan so eloquently put it Mr BJ

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wilai said:

I think OSA's argument relates to the 'D' as opposed to the box itself so technically encroachment afaik. 

Yeah my bad. Sorry OSA. With the new laws i.e. keeper one foot on the line etc, I suppose it should have been retaken

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Sterling and Son’s armpits offside (unbelievable!) and now Mount’s toe.

 

A very well written piece by the Guardian that sums up the current problem with the offside rule (don’t get me started on the unfair and stupid accidental handball rule only penalising the attacking team) – offside is supposed to stop the attacking team gaining an advantage, but what advantage is to be gained by an armpit 2mm ahead of the opponent ((1) stop and have a look at 2mm on your kid’s ruler, (2) don't know about you, but I don't believe that they can calculate that AT THE MOMENT THE BALL IS PASSED), none. Instead of trying to help the game of football by favouring goals being scored, instead the laws are now more in favour of preventing goals.

 

Guardian:

“For the second time in two days a pivotal Premier League goal was ruled out by another of those problematic reviews. It is something that needs to be fixed.

 

Once again this came with the double-jeopardy punishment of a goal conceded at the other end while the crowd, the players and the manager still seemed to be absorbing the gut punch of all that short-lived elation.

 

This is an issue for players and coaches to resolve and work on: goal celebrations must now be guarded. They must come with an instant recovery time, a professionalism that means no more punching the air, no more touchline sprints, no more unalloyed joy. Like the sound of that? Well, it’s coming.

 

Here’s how it happened. Liverpool had begun like a train at a muggy, clammy Stamford Bridge. The opening goal was a moment of jaw-drop, Alexander-Arnold running on to Mo Salah’s backheel and producing that sublime finish.

 

Chelsea pressed back and thought they had equalised on 27 minutes, César Azpilicueta tapping home after a scramble in the goalmouth. VAR said otherwise. Mason Mount’s toe was decreed to have been offside in the build-up, his ankle having strayed across a line drawn by the VAR as Willian passed the ball down the left flank.

 

Stop. Rewind. Delete. Swallow all that emotion. And within two minutes Liverpool were 2-0 up though Firmino, another superbly worked goal (and some slack marking) that the post-VAR lull should not diminish. But still. Two days, two interventions, two problems.

 

It seems fairly obvious that Serge Aurier’s goal at Leicester on Saturday should have stood. The technology is not good enough to decree with absolute certainty whether Son Heung-min’s armpit was two millimetres offside at the precise moment (whenever that was) the ball was passed, as captured between frames by an elevated TV camera.

 

Drawing a best-guess straight line is not accuracy, consistency, or whatever it is we expect. There is only a pretence of academic rigour here. Understanding and acknowledging a margin for error, incorporating uncertainty is a part of being precise. This is simply bad science.

 

Fast forward 24 hours and Mount’s foot was, arguably, slightly more offside than Son’s armpit. But only arguably, and based on a line that there is no evidence we can actually trust. A middle-aged man playing with a light pen is not the Large Hadron Collider.

Plus, of course, what is offside actually for? Firstly to stop the game from losing its shape, dissolving into a cross between Aussie Rules and mass goal-hanging. And secondly, in its finer margins, to stop players cheating by pushing this enforced line and gaining an advantage.

 

In this case there was no advantage to Mount in having a toe, arguably, beyond the line of a player 20 yards away. It didn’t cause the game to lose its shape. It was offside because a man with a pen drew a pointlessly certain line.

 

Most people have by now “backed a horse” in this race and are intent on arguing it to the line either way. The idea of being pro or anti VAR has its ideological, even generational edge. Suggest this isn’t currently working and you risk becoming a Proper Football Man crying into his Charles Hughes coaching manual about the death of My Day When Things Were Good.

 

And yes, there is a paradox to complaining about discussion of VAR, on a page that discusses VAR at great (and no doubt) tedious length. But the sport is unavoidably affected by all this. There is a price to pay here for the most precious part of the spectacle, the miracle of the moment, the goal, the shared experience. Is it worth paying?”

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

an interesting point the american pundit on nbc made  was that the line for offside  is drawn and the decision is made manually.. ie i suppose  they draw look and judge,   thats sufficiant when its an obvious one .. like an arm or  foot or even a toe  however not so easily conclusive     when it comes to judging  fractions of millimetres.. 4 me decisions like these shouldnt be left to human judgement , cricket umps can use ultra edge . with the money in prem footie they should be able to sort this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...