Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Premier League stats on VAR

After 12 match rounds, there have been around 800 checks and 29 overturned decisions.

Average of around six checks per game, and an overturned decision once every four games.

The delay for an overturned decision is around one minute 15 seconds on average.

Average delay for a check is around 30 seconds.

But no consideration is made to the fans in the stadium who are repeatedly left confused and uninformed about what is being checked etc. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season, even if it is accidental," says the Premier League. Jesus' goal, technically, was created by the use of

Liverpool almost lost their match against Villa due to VAR not being used consistently. For the Villa goal and the Firmino goal, and the Mane foul in the box.    Villa given a goal through V

That Sheffield United  disallowed goal vs Spurs in the build up has taken VAR to anew level.  I cant believe it was bought in for those cases. And 3 minutes for a decision !

Posted Images

12 rounds of games gives a total of games played to date = 228.

6 checks a game = 1,368 . Not 800.

"Overturned decision once every 4 games " = once every 57 games.

I don't think VAR is going as well as everybody hoped it would.

Edited by NE1

Sorry.......Got them figures wrong .

Should have been 120 games played.

"Overturned decision once every 4 games " = once every 30 games. 

If that is the case then the refs are doing a brilliant job and getting just about everything right.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:33 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

Premier League stats on VAR

But no consideration is made to the fans in the stadium who are repeatedly left confused and uninformed about what is being checked etc. 

yeah thats bang on nutx ..they shoud be showing due process on the large live screeen..if.only for the added drama..but overall var  it's just another nail in widening gap between 'real' football and the prem..ALL about marketing..and money.

For me they could turn the whole offside VAR situation around and make football more exciting if the rule was part of the striker must be behind the last man replacing no part goalside

VAR showing a clear gap would not exasperate the fans, the striker would have an advantage thus more goals, far more acceptable VAR to give a goal because the foot was in line with the last defender than have to write a goal off with only the foot goal side of the last defender

Giving the striker an advantage also eases the decisions that look harsh, because in the main the rules assist his cause

11 hours ago, 473geo said:

For me they could turn the whole offside VAR situation around and make football more exciting if the rule was part of the striker must be behind the last man replacing no part goalside

VAR showing a clear gap would not exasperate the fans, the striker would have an advantage thus more goals, far more acceptable VAR to give a goal because the foot was in line with the last defender than have to write a goal off with only the foot goal side of the last defender

Giving the striker an advantage also eases the decisions that look harsh, because in the main the rules assist his cause

It would be simpler and more entertaining if they they revoked the offside rule completely.

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

It would be simpler and more entertaining if they they revoked the offside rule completely.

You're not the first to suggest doing away with the offside rule but wouldn't that completely change football and not for the best. It would become kick it long for speedsters to chase or for The Big Man to flick on. The game would start to resemble Aussie  Rules but without hands (or school playground football). Kick it long, kick it long...no thanks.

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You're not the first to suggest doing away with the offside rule but wouldn't that completely change football and not for the best. It would become kick it long for speedsters to chase or for The Big Man to flick on. The game would start to resemble Aussie  Rules but without hands (or school playground football). Kick it long, kick it long...no thanks.

Well it would be a bit more exciting than some of the play passball back and forth across the back four!! that we see so much of today, as a person who likes a small bet on football to see this type of play when a team is behind with minutes to go is soul destroying!! and wallet depleting 😃

4 hours ago, 473geo said:

Well it would be a bit more exciting than some of the play passball back and forth across the back four!! that we see so much of today, as a person who likes a small bet on football to see this type of play when a team is behind with minutes to go is soul destroying!! and wallet depleting 😃

No offside rule would totally change football. Midfield would be completely bypassed and eventually disappear. Skilful players like Messi would no longer be a thing. The game would become a cross between basketball (ball goes to one end then the other ...) and aussie rules. Not for me thanks. The level of Football in England has never been higher than in recent seasons with artistic beautiful passing football and i like it as it is...not hoof and chase thanks.

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

No offside rule would totally change football. Midfield would be completely bypassed and eventually disappear. Skilful players like Messi would no longer be a thing. The game would become a cross between basketball (ball goes to one end then the other ...) and aussie rules. Not for me thanks. The level of Football in England has never been higher than in recent seasons with artistic beautiful passing football and i like it as it is...not hoof and chase thanks.

I was not the one advocating a total ban just an adjustment to give the forward a benefit which would not change the game the way you state, as the through ball from midfield into space would be more effective if defence tried to compact the game. To my mind any part of the attacker in line with the last defender would be good, clear gap between attacker would be seen as trying to take advantage and decisions via VAR would be more readily accepted

11 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I was not the one advocating a total ban just an adjustment to give the forward a benefit

23 hours ago, stephenterry said:

would be simpler and more entertaining if they they revoked the offside rule completely.

Apologies to you sir; it was t'other fella advocating revoking the offside rule.

And i agree with you that the attacking team should be given the advantage - if level not offside (but in the way they are measuring it these days, whose penis has strayed offside, level is unlikely to happen anymore, it's offside by a todger or not offside).

I also reckon the new handball rule when leading to a goal being disallowed is a load of <deleted> as well. Should go back to before of intentional hands is handball / accidental hands is not handball OR make it super simple of ball touching hand/arm anywhere anyhow is handball applied to both attacking n defending teams.

On 11/19/2019 at 4:40 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

And you don't think that happens already? Watched Leicester, recently? That's what Vardy is all about. However, I think it should only be scrapped for players in the penalty area, not outside it.