What's more frequent in Thailand?

My 2 cents

Everybody have seen his or her's part of accidents in Thailand or, may god forgive, had his own accident.

Same goes for robbery's and or being mugged or experienced attempts of such.

But i am genuine curious if we compare the times that we experienced one of above with the frequency of encounters with corruption from officials in any form or shape ?

How many times did you get forced to pay, or being pushed, or was there an attempt to make you pay,  a "bribe" "coffee/copy money" "fines without receipt" "envelope for Tambun" etc.

Category's maybe: immigration, police station, checkpoint,... 

More important: did it happen before or after 2014 ?

Before 2014 i had some blunt attempts, after 2014 the attempts became more subtile but more frequent as well... But i never payed anything...

Since 20 year nobody except the traffic police asked for money.

And the traffic police normally give me the choice if I want to visit the station and pay maybe 400B or cash on the spot.

As far as I know it is seldom that officials demand money directly.

It seems from time to time they tell people that this and that will take a long time, maybe months. And then the "customer" is supposed to ask if it's possible to accelerate things a little...

It never happend to me but I heard about it.

About immigration: I once had a small problem and the official "solution" was to leave the county and apply for a new visa. We asked our usual visa guy if it's possible to solve this without leaving the country, maybe for a fee. He told us that the immigration guys are not interested in deals like that. I didn't like that I had to travel but in a way I think it's good news that the officials didn't want any bribes. That was in Bangkok.

Archived