BANGKOK
DrJack54

Alcohol in check in baggage.

Bit embarrassed to ask members this as I fly every few weeks bkk-Saigon, guess I should know. So arrived yesterday (always travel carry on only) .... A friend here has given me rather expensive bottle single malt. So my plan... At airline desk for boarding pass ask for my small bag to be checked in. With the booze inside. Allowable? 

Topic moved to the Swampy Airport Forum where you're more likely to receive replies.

/Moved.

• Thanks 1

As long as the bottle is within the "duty free" limit not an issue.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Fluids cannot be taken in hand luggage

He's talking about checked baggage.

Answer is yes - just make sure it's well packed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stocky said:

He's talking about checked baggage.

Answer is yes - just make sure it's well packed.

He wasnt clear about whether he intended to put the whisky in the hold or hand luggage , as you also have to check-in and weight the hand luggage .

Hold- Yes : Hand luggage , No 

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Fluids cannot be taken in hand luggage , that even includes skin moisturizer .

They will not let you carry it as hand luggage , you will either have to check it in and its carried in the hold , or drink it before you get on the aeroplane 

to be pedantic, small bottles of max 100ml  of liquid  in separate single amounts are allowed at most intentional airports, including small bottles of skin cream. I take it that his single malt if slightly more than 100ml. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Pretty clear to me.

You can check bags in, getting them weighted and if you havent paid extra for luggage , you have to carry the bag yourself onto the aeroplane as hand luggage 

• Haha 1

Quite a clear question. As has already been stated it's OK in your checked in luggage but not allowed in a cabin bag.

Thanks to all the above posts. Very helpful. Yes pilotman its a single malt 1 litre. I only mention this because the gift also came with coke bottle. Clearly he is not a drinker. Perhaps his daughter related that I drink rum coke. The top shelf I don't indulge myself.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup, putting it in your checked baggage is the ONLY solution for flying with it.

Pack it well and hope the baggage handlers don't like single-malt.

Good point. I once had a Rado watch (pricy) removed from check in luggage. Many many years ago. Flight from Canada to AU. Stop over Twain. Does that still happen? 

Anyway thanks to members ....job done. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dode57k said:

Quite a clear question. As has already been stated it's OK in your checked in luggage but not allowed in a cabin bag.

Well , it wasnt to me , thats why I posted my post , if he only ever carries hand luggage , he would have to pay extra for hold luggage

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Well , it wasnt to me , thats why I posted my post , if he only ever carries hand luggage , he would have to pay extra for hold luggage

So yes I have base ticket AirAsia. The flight is actually Saigon into DM (realize swampy forum but that's irrelevant). So if I request check in bag (4kg) instead of taking it carry on, I will be charged extra. I seem to recall once on flight to Japan my gf needed check in bag and I decided to have my small bag checked in also. Her ticket already included the extra limit charge. Mine was just a 7kg. I was not charged extra. Just lucky?