Alcohol in check in baggage.

DrJack54

Bit embarrassed to ask members this as I fly every few weeks bkk-Saigon, guess I should know. So arrived yesterday (always travel carry on only) .... A friend here has given me rather expensive bottle single malt. So my plan... At airline desk for boarding pass ask for my small bag to be checked in. With the booze inside. Allowable? 

Fluids cannot be taken in hand luggage , that even includes skin moisturizer .

They will not let you carry it as hand luggage , you will either have to check it in and its carried in the hold , or drink it before you get on the aeroplane 

4 minutes ago, Stocky said:

He's talking about checked baggage.

Answer is yes - just make sure it's well packed.

He wasnt clear about whether he intended to put the whisky in the hold or hand luggage , as you also have to check-in and weight the hand luggage .

Hold- Yes : Hand luggage , No 

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Fluids cannot be taken in hand luggage , that even includes skin moisturizer .

They will not let you carry it as hand luggage , you will either have to check it in and its carried in the hold , or drink it before you get on the aeroplane 

to be pedantic, small bottles of max 100ml  of liquid  in separate single amounts are allowed at most intentional airports, including small bottles of skin cream. I take it that his single malt if slightly more than 100ml. 

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He wasnt clear about whether he intended to put the whisky in the hold or hand luggage

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So my plan... At airline desk for boarding pass ask for my small bag to be checked in.

Pretty clear to me.

Thanks to all the above posts. Very helpful. Yes pilotman its a single malt 1 litre. I only mention this because the gift also came with coke bottle. Clearly he is not a drinker. Perhaps his daughter related that I drink rum coke. The top shelf I don't indulge myself.

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup, putting it in your checked baggage is the ONLY solution for flying with it.

Pack it well and hope the baggage handlers don't like single-malt.

Good point. I once had a Rado watch (pricy) removed from check in luggage. Many many years ago. Flight from Canada to AU. Stop over Twain. Does that still happen? 

Anyway thanks to members ....job done. 

11 minutes ago, dode57k said:

Quite a clear question. As has already been stated it's OK in your checked in luggage but not allowed in a cabin bag.

Well , it wasnt to me , thats why I posted my post , if he only ever carries hand luggage , he would have to pay extra for hold luggage

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Well , it wasnt to me , thats why I posted my post , if he only ever carries hand luggage , he would have to pay extra for hold luggage

So yes I have base ticket AirAsia. The flight is actually Saigon into DM (realize swampy forum but that's irrelevant). So if I request check in bag (4kg) instead of taking it carry on, I will be charged extra. I seem to recall once on flight to Japan my gf needed check in bag and I decided to have my small bag checked in also. Her ticket already included the extra limit charge. Mine was just a 7kg. I was not charged extra. Just lucky? 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So yes I have base ticket AirAsia. The flight is actually Saigon into DM (realize swampy forum but that's irrelevant). So if I request check in bag (4kg) instead of taking it carry on, I will be charged extra. I seem to recall once on flight to Japan my gf needed check in bag and I decided to have my small bag checked in also. Her ticket already included the extra limit charge. Mine was just a 7kg. I was not charged extra. Just lucky? 

When I flew from CM to Danang with AirAsia , they gave me an option of 7 kilos of hand luggage for free or 20 kilos of hold luggage for a few 100 Baht extra .

I choose the 7 kilo option and when I checked myself and my luggage in, they gave me my bag back and told me and told me to take it hand luggage and confiscated my moisturizer

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

When I flew from CM to Danang with AirAsia , they gave me an option of 7 kilos of hand luggage for free or 20 kilos of hold luggage for a few 100 Baht extra .

I choose the 7 kilo option and when I checked myself and my luggage in, they gave me my bag back and told me and told me to take it hand luggage and confiscated my moisturizer

Yes you are correct and thankyou for your help. I have now just checked out AirAsia site. I cannot check in my carry on allowance. I need pay minimum 20kg check in baggage (even though my bag is under 4kg).. That will cost 680baht. So I'm back to drawing board. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Now the question is how much whisky can a someone drink before Tuesday arvo. 

Glad you pointed out the carry on rule. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your point? My OP went into detail of bringing the booze with me to airport. The one litre allowance once past security is irrelevant. 

Ooooh sorry Doctor Jack 54. (Age or IQ......no,no,no I am joking ) 

Most of us experienced flyers know that anything over 100ml in cabin baggage is not allowed.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Ooooh sorry Doctor Jack 54. Most of us experienced flyers know that anything over 100ml in cabin baggage is not allowed.

Geezus... My post was about CHECK IN luggage. 

I fly every week. Enough your nonsense. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Clearly he is not a drinker

Very true. I remember working in a club in Munich, and it was expected of the band to join guests at their table in the break. One guy invited us all over to share a bottle of Remy MArtin AND COKE.

What can I say; you've got me there ... almost. If it makes you feel better.

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Geezus... My post was about CHECK IN luggage.

He was talking about check-in luggage; unfortunately he didn't realise the intricacies of check-in luggage with AirAsia

1 hour ago, CGW said:

This is an entertaining thread, does anyone actually "read" anymore? simple question, simple answer - but no! not on TVF ???? 

Just read it all again and have to say I'm embarrassed to be part of one of the most pedantic, petty and point scoring threads for a while. My apologies to DrJack54 for my part in continuing this nonsense. ????

2 hours ago, Sujo said:

This is one of the best threads in tv for a long time. How such an easy question be misconstrued into a shit fight is brilliant

Very true. I apologize to forum. Have since done some research. I cannot have my carry on into check in luggage. It will cost me almost 700baht. My small excuse is the couple of times I have check small bag in was when travelling with Thai gf who had check in 20kg. 

My bag was just checked in with hers. I now get the rules. I will attempt to drink bottle of single malt tomorrow. Thanks for members help. 

This thread can now be closed. Ta to all. 

Archived