Strong baht, lack of westerners, will it really hurt thailand

nomad2019

I don't know how many tourists really factor in the strength of the baht when making destination decisions. I was going through the checkout at one of the grocery stores here in Canada and was wearing a Thailand t-shirt. The cashier asked me if I'd been there, and when I told her I'd actually worked there for several years, she exclaimed that it was a "bucket list" destination for her. I cautioned her that she may want to check out the exchange rate as the baht is very strong and the CAD is very weak these days. She responded that it probably won't matter much because Thailand is so cheap anyway.

I think a lot of people approach it that way, so the strong baht probably doesn't have much adverse effect on arrival numbers. Any slowdown in tourism is more like;y caused by worse economic situations in the countries that would typically supply tourists.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Actually it's the industry's opinion simply parroted by me, but bearing in mind your total detachment from reality, we'll leave it there shall we?

If you want to argue, argue with GSMA.

Industry ?????

agree on being a parrot bit though????

4 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Exactly how many foreign managers are there in Thailand out of 66 million people?

Exactly!

Should you not be asking how many are managers in a country with population of 66 million ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

I don't know how many tourists really factor in the strength of the baht when making destination decisions. I was going through the checkout at one of the grocery stores here in Canada and was wearing a Thailand t-shirt. The cashier asked me if I'd been there, and when I told her I'd actually worked there for several years, she exclaimed that it was a "bucket list" destination for her. I cautioned her that she may want to check out the exchange rate as the baht is very strong and the CAD is very weak these days. She responded that it probably won't matter much because Thailand is so cheap anyway.

I think a lot of people approach it that way, so the strong baht probably doesn't have much adverse effect on arrival numbers. Any slowdown in tourism is more like;y caused by worse economic situations in the countries that would typically supply tourists.  

Many people think the same, that it is a cheap destination, that was years ago, my friends gal just returned, she said it was expensive, she stayed in a nice resort where most people with money stay when coming there.

its not quite the bucket list destination it once was. 

And certainly not a cheap destination anymore.

people with money don't go to eat at malls for 40 baht dishes , or drink beside the sex tourists for cheap beer.

they have money and want to be in nice places on holiday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Learn to read.

You are so full of yourself all the time...

Sorry I offend you by say that you are very important.

frial ego?

Thankyou for follow me.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

For a while this year, I had a yen for Western food and Eatigo gave me cheap Hotel Buffets. I rarely saw a westerner in the buffets....always Chinese.

Go to Jumbo in Icon Siam and watch them go nuts. Or check out the Night Maket up in Huay Kwang and watch the Chinese folks pound down those buckets of seafood..... 

The high end food and shopping here in Thailand are aimed at Chinese tourists. Why? Because the food and the shopping are things they cant get at home. I, as an American, dont need to buy Tom Ford cologne at Icon Siam  for 8,000B when I can get it $20 cheaper at home...but some Chinese dude cant get it at all. 

My brat comes in from China to go shopping and eat high end food.

Western folks dont need to go to fancy restaurants  and shop for luxury goods since we have it all anyway, there are no bargains for us unless we go native.

Not the same for a Chinese girl in Sephora though....

Go to a random pricey restaurant, it's thais, westerners and japanese/koreans.

No one goes in a hotel to eat. Hotel buffet isn't fancy either.

If this is what you call fancy: https://www.google.com/search?q=jumbo+icon+siam&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH799TH799&oq=jumbo+icon+siam&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3359j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x30e29917c43563b9:0x58297ff7218e0755,1,,,

No it isn't.

If people go to dinner they go out but for sure not in a hotel, they go to a steakhouse, italian restaurant , korean bbq place, japanese sushi, or decent thai food like at The Local...

17 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Sorry I offend you by say that you are very important.

frial ego?

Thankyou for follow me.

Everyone saying westerns or expats in general leaving would not be a problem don't have the slightest understanding of economics....

Guess who's running/managing BMW, Harley, Hilton, Marriot, Toyota, Samsung etc here - ohhh right

Learn to read.

14 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Go to a random pricey restaurant, it's thais, westerners and japanese/koreans.

No one goes in a hotel to eat. Hotel buffet isn't fancy either.

If this is what you call fancy: https://www.google.com/search?q=jumbo+icon+siam&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH799TH799&oq=jumbo+icon+siam&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3359j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x30e29917c43563b9:0x58297ff7218e0755,1,,,

No it isn't.

If people go to dinner they go out but for sure not in a hotel, they go to a steakhouse, italian restaurant , korean bbq place, japanese sushi, or decent thai food like at The Local...

Whats your indecipherable point? You think Jumbo isnt expensive? 

No one goes to a Hotel to eat? When was the last time you went to a hotel buffet on a sunday afternoon during Golden Week?

Problem is two fold and contrary to popular unbridled opinion its not all down to the strength of the Baht.....sure it would be nice if it weakened back out to 33 but the real problem is on the other side of the currency pairings name Sterling/Dollar Euro/Dollar AUD/Dollar etc etc

Until those currencies regain strength against the Dollar ( and thats absolutely nothing to do with the Baht) we will continue to see the double whammy against us on exchange rates

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Concievably, I could winter in the Cote D Azur or somewhere in Southern Europe, but then I would have to coexist with yobs and Europeans ????

I much prefer small doses of Euros and large doses of Asians.

You prefer cheap girls and even those are all over europe but you'll have to find them. 

Everything is safe, beautifull, well maintained, high quality and well organised in Europe.  It's the total opposite of Thailand which makes thailand far too expensive for what it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Exactly how many foreign managers are there in Thailand out of 66 million people?

Exactly!

Exactly how many FOREIGN BUSINESS AND INVESTMENTS are in Thailand.

How many people do they employ? How much of Thailands GDP is export based on products like cars that those FOREIGN businesses manufacture here and ship to Australia and co?

Exactly!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Youlike said:

Westerners (from Europe at least) don't need the shoppingmalls at all because Europe is sooo much better for shopping..

I don't understand ANY person who prefers Thailand above Europe unless they love to be in a chaotic filthy mess.  

Europe is soo far ahead of Thailand and even cheaper these days....why would anybody go Thai at all?

Agreed....prices in fe thai supermarkets are pretty high...!! A package of margarine butter of 500 gr cost 114 Bath?? Realy??? Such item here cost max 1 euro...I am sure in germany (and also in The Netherlands) prices for most products are much lower!! I said that before here.

besides that I think we have in Europe (at least Germany) much better customer protection and quality.

I predict..Cambodia will be the next "Thailand"..!! 

take care...and good night.

Hans

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Exactly how many FOREIGN BUSINESS AND INVESTMENTS are in Thailand.

How many people do they employ? How much of Thailands GDP is export based on products like cars that those FOREIGN businesses manufacture here and ship to Australia and co?

Exactly!

Not much I think...I honestly think Thai people do NOT like foreigners at all!!!!

my 2 cents.

Hans

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Hans007 said:

Agreed....prices in fe thai supermarkets are pretty high...!! A package of margarine butter of 500 gr cost 114 Bath?? Realy??? Such item here cost max 1 euro...I am sure in germany (and also in The Netherlands) prices for most products are much lower!! I said that before here.

besides that I think we have in Europe (at least Germany) much better customer protection and quality.

I predict..Cambodia will be the next "Thailand"..!! 

take care...and good night.

Hans

In Europe you can eat a decent meal for under 10 euro = 340 baht. You'll get much food, much meat, fresh vegy, condiments, good seat/table, police around the corner, clean/safe streets/traffic and so on....And after dinner you can have a free safe walk through the nice cities with perfect sidewalks and mannered drivers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

If I based my life on margarine prices.......

Allright i know what will get your attention....what about 6 coins for 99 euro and all day free food in the club while wearing your white bathcoat?? Ask the girls what those 6 coins stand for.

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Ja ja ja I been to FKK. No Som Tum Pla Rah, only Romanian girls pretending to be Italian.

Europe doesnt get my attention. If I want to be in the West, Ill stay in the good old USA and go to Arizona for the winter.

Soon you can go there in a Thai group tour from BKK...Romanian girls with mai moi....and a euro for 34 baht i can see many Thai going there.

14 hours ago, meand said:

If every westerner flew out of Thailand tomorrow they would be fine. We are the only ones who do not seem to realize that. 

Sure, some businesses would be hurt, but places like Taco joints and bars. Do you think Thais really care? 

Take Huawei as an example, no US sales, and now second place in the world behind Samsung in phone sales. 

Life goes on, the average deal in Thailand is between Thais and other Thai or Asian companies. Foreigners think the red carpet should be laid out for them because they feel the entire economy would collapse without them. This is the problem, the entitlement.

The truth is Pattaya and Walking Street would shut down, and Thailand would probably be better off for it. The truth is not popular, but it is still the truth. 

what nonsense are you talking, please leave first and take your Falang haters with you

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

that is because you are not in restaurants they go to.

they don't want to be anywhere near you or any other white people.

they have many places they go to and are spending big money. far more that all other tourists.

Yes , have to agree with you there , I visited the large KingPower store here in Phuket yesterday and I was the only caucasian in a sea of thousands of Chinese tourists and they were spending , as the queues at the checkouts and registration counter were miles long.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

Chinese tourists do the boat trips,the island tours etc but I've never really seen any I'm restaurants

They are out and about in CM - - I was in a small neighborhood restaurant and my wife saw them stealing the silverware... at breakfast buffet, sticking food in containers under sweaters... but they are not as loud, most of the time as they used to be 5 years ago,,, but sometimes very loud...