Strong baht, lack of westerners, will it really hurt thailand

nomad2019

15 hours ago, meand said:

If every westerner flew out of Thailand tomorrow they would be fine. We are the only ones who do not seem to realize that. 

Sure, some businesses would be hurt, but places like Taco joints and bars. Do you think Thais really care? 

Take Huawei as an example, no US sales, and now second place in the world behind Samsung in phone sales. 

Life goes on, the average deal in Thailand is between Thais and other Thai or Asian companies. Foreigners think the red carpet should be laid out for them because they feel the entire economy would collapse without them. This is the problem, the entitlement.

The truth is Pattaya and Walking Street would shut down, and Thailand would probably be better off for it. The truth is not popular, but it is still the truth. 

Walking Street might shut down but Pattaya wouldn't.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They would just give these management positons to the vast amout of overqualified trustable thais - yeah sure.  No they pack up and go, killing hundreds of thousands of thai work places.

On the flip side, the farangs holding those 'high valuable' positions on an 'expat package', and get paid monthly ... these are not the Farangs leaving Thailand if they feel the pinch of the exchange rate (or any other immi regulations). 

They are doing fine.

It's more about the Farangs who are retired, living off savings, rely on income from abroad etc. Or just the tourists who see are getting more value for their money elsewhere 

Edited by TG911
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Traubert said:

Yes, the world mobile communications industry with over 400 members serving over 5bn people.

You really have got your head in the sand haven't you? Please don't embarrass yourself further. It's like taking the p*ss out of the fat kid with glasses. We know we shouldn't do it but it's too easy.

So are you the fat kid with glasses? Is that what you trying to say 

16 hours ago, meand said:

If every westerner flew out of Thailand tomorrow they would be fine. We are the only ones who do not seem to realize that. 

Sure, some businesses would be hurt, but places like Taco joints and bars. Do you think Thais really care? 

Take Huawei as an example, no US sales, and now second place in the world behind Samsung in phone sales. 

Life goes on, the average deal in Thailand is between Thais and other Thai or Asian companies. Foreigners think the red carpet should be laid out for them because they feel the entire economy would collapse without them. This is the problem, the entitlement.

The truth is Pattaya and Walking Street would shut down, and Thailand would probably be better off for it. The truth is not popular, but it is still the truth. 

I am afraid I can't agree with this. Many multinationals have significant expat management teams in their Thailand sites. If these people were to leave, their offices and manufacturing sites would have to be significantly scaled back, or would cease to function altogether, and move offshore. The impact from this particular group of foreigners leaving can not be overstated! Think panic and recession.

• Like 2

Sunday morning at 8:45 am pattaya beach was packed with tourists. Jomtein has those Wonderful buses parked everywhere . When one western tourists leaves they are replaced by 20 Chinese. I talked with a Wonderful family from Pakistan that was staying in one of our fine illegal hotel rooms. Prepare for the next group of tourists coming.

They seem to have forgot how they got to where they are... As previously mentioned without the western input over MANY years Thailand would still be a backwater economy with no hope of a future! 

Nobody... ABSOLUTELY Nobody here can honesty say how much it is affecting the country and we will not know for years,  if ever! 

The sooner they come into line with other surrounding countries the better... But don't hold your breath as the hospital bill will be too much ????

Edited by Tambs2020
Spell check

17 hours ago, Steve Vincent said:

I have visited many countries around the world and Thailand is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Sadly it’s being run by idiots who don’t understand business. Pattaya was once a small sleepy fishing village before farang started arriving ...... it thrived with new businesses opening ( bars,shops,hotels,roadworks reconstructed ) 

-

then in 2007 the recession hit plummeting the baht down to 54 its continued falling ever since _ why has the baht remained so strong when every other currency around the world has struggled ? Corruption is rife in Thailand and run by the army - free visas for Chinese and Indians ? Laughable as the Chinese spend little mainly visiting garden centres and massage parlours or boat trips to the smaller islands,spending little in the community,.whilst the Indians sit on beach road sharing a bottle of Leo between 4 ! 

-

many thais who now live abroad and have taken out loans are struggling to repay the banks with some losing there properties in the process simply because of a strong baht. Foreigners who own properties and businesses have sold up and returned home. 

Good response, I agree, why Thailand government thinks giving free visas to Chinese is beyond me, just return from Pattaya 2 weeks ago, place was dead, apart from Chinese tour groups being led like sheep from one end of walking street to the other not stopping or spending 1 barht. The chines are smart people and take advantage of their own tourists, providing complete package tours all run and organized by Chinese operatives. I saw this in Australia first hand, from the moment the hit the airport they were grabbed by Chinese tour operators from start to finish. Chinese tour guides, buses, shops and restaurants and then the money is sent back to China.   

Edited by DUNROAMIN
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

900% you mean i guess?

For every 800k deposited they can loan out 8 mio THB.

you need only 10% of a loan to be actually backed with reserves.

Well said.. the 800k for 5/6 months tie up allows banks to hold an 8m baht loan for each and every one of those deposits.  Chinese made up a big portion of the condo buyers and with the decline in their purchasing power.. sales to them have simply collapsed.  I suspect foreigners have limited desire to buy in at current exchange rates and recent adjustments in LTV rates indicate some bigger issues afoot.  Car sales have collapsed globally so I cannot see a strong baht helping Thailand there and if a portion of tourists still coming adjust their purchasing budgets within Thailand.. the wall may come quicker than many think.  If Vietnam was smarter they will pitch at the long stay market.   We may find the so called reserves lent out a little like those in Korea years ago.

• Like 1

Just need to take a walk between the Vic hotel on second road and walking Street at approximately 5 o’clock in the morning. Absolutely full of Indians and to a lesser extent Arabs, chock-a-block full of people paying 200 Baht + per beer in the night clubs each and every night and morning of the week.  Full of Asian freelancers who are Happy to take their money????????‍♂️????????????????????????Pattaya 

It's very sad and concerning that any nationalities that wish to visit Thailand can be considered better!

How can the Japanese be better than western companies!

They are NOT charities and come for the incentives they will get from the Government for providing jobs for National's.

Incentives may include free land and buildings, tax incentives etc etc.

When these incentives stop and the Government do not wish to give extension companies will just close and go elsewhere with even more incentives! Fact

Of course it's going to hurt not only Western tourists, long term Expats but more important the vast majority of Thai people. Does the Bank of Thailand care one iota?? Yeah when pigs fly. Calls from all sectors of the Thai economy to reign in the artificial strength of the Baht have fallen on deaf ears and will continue to do so until this house of cards comes crumbling down at their feet.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Youlike said:

Westerners (from Europe at least) don't need the shoppingmalls at all because Europe is sooo much better for shopping..

I don't understand ANY person who prefers Thailand above Europe unless they love to be in a chaotic filthy mess.  

Europe is soo far ahead of Thailand and even cheaper these days....why would anybody go Thai at all?

Europe is quickly becoming a bigger toilet than it has historically been.  Get real. ????    It's a shame the currency issues are causing some to return from Thailand, they were enjoying themselves. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

that is because you are not in restaurants they go to.

they don't want to be anywhere near you or any other white people.

they have many places they go to and are spending big money. far more that all other tourists.

I certainly would not want to be in an "all you can eat" buffet which had Chinese next to me.

18 hours ago, baansgr said:

Aint hurt me whatsoever, just sold my car for 475.000 thats 12k Sterling, only the bike and a bit of furniture to sell but couldnt have been a better result for me

i take it your moving back to Blighty?

Im moving back to Spain in November, and personally, I am loving the strong baht.

May it get even stronger...  ha ha

15 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

For a while this year, I had a yen for Western food and Eatigo gave me cheap Hotel Buffets. I rarely saw a westerner in the buffets....always Chinese.

Go to Jumbo in Icon Siam and watch them go nuts. Or check out the Night Maket up in Huay Kwang and watch the Chinese folks pound down those buckets of seafood..... 

The high end food and shopping here in Thailand are aimed at Chinese tourists. Why? Because the food and the shopping are things they cant get at home. I, as an American, dont need to buy Tom Ford cologne at Icon Siam  for 8,000B when I can get it $20 cheaper at home...but some Chinese dude cant get it at all. 

My brat comes in from China to go shopping and eat high end food.

Western folks dont need to go to fancy restaurants  and shop for luxury goods since we have it all anyway, there are no bargains for us unless we go native.

Not the same for a Chinese girl in Sephora though....

Chinese people in a buffet???????????? 

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The lack of Westerners would not be a problem, but less tourists,exports will be,

then spending like a drunken sailor ,the government could be making matters 

worse.

regards worgeordie

A governor in Khon Kaen once said, and I tend to believe him, that every foreign retiree brings 1.5 job in that province, and bring in, on average, 50,000 Baht every month.

Me thinks that countrywide it might be possible to call the influence of, in this case, western retired expats, on the country's budget and a lot of people's spending power rather substantial.

• Like 1

My local Thai restaurant is closing down she does great food but she can no longer pay the rent due to the lack of customers . I live on the islands and in 13 years have never known them so quiet which suits me but doesn’t help those trying to run a business 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me it's facinating, the things some people are concerned about... I mean, with all the things that can be going on in one's life..(mine anyway).....I think ..."Thai tourism and the strong Baht"...would be very near the bottom of my list.

30 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

i take it your moving back to Blighty?

Im moving back to Spain in November, and personally, I am loving the strong baht.

May it get even stronger...  ha ha

A friend in PH immigration tells me the number of ex-Thai expats relocating to the Phillipines is growing fast.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, hansnl said:

A friend in PH immigration tells me the number of ex-Thai expats relocating to the Phillipines is growing fast.

Not surprising I love Phils.

Exchange rate is fantastic 1000 pesos for 19 US.  Lots of English speaking and pretty girls.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

Now I've also heard the argument that the chines and jays and Indians are making up the figures but I never see indians spend money, never ! Chinese tourists do the boat trips,the island tours etc but I've never really seen any I'm restaurants or bars.

Chinese and Indian tourists behave different from the typical historical Western tourist, you cannot judge their spending by looking at bar scene, or nightlife, and local restaurants, they might well spend their money elsewhere, and they might have an "all inclusive" booking for a several star resort; just like many Europeans prefer it now when holidaying in the Mediterranean zone and on Canary Islands, many hardly moving outside their hotels.

2018 stats showed the 40% of tourists in Chonburi province (Pattaya) are Chinese, 10% from India, and 7% from South Korea. Westerners have decreased relative, i.e. percentage of total, and might also have decreased in real numbers.

• Like 1