Strong baht, lack of westerners, will it really hurt thailand

nomad2019

56 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I find Thailand fascinating because it's a rare example of a modern country developing without ever being "owned" or run by a colonial power

Quite the contrary.

Thailand is owned by China.

Who do you think own all the banks?

Exactly what is Thailand developing? Cars? Space Program? Manufacturing?

Thailand is nothing but the slave labor to the real developing economies.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I find Thailand fascinating because it's a rare example of a modern country developing without ever being "owned" or run by a colonial power

That is a very shaky way of looking at both Thai history and history itself.

what do you mean by "modern country"?

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Exactly what is Thailand developing? Cars? Space Program? Manufacturing?

Thai has the 10th largest motor industry in the world - bigger than the UK's.

They have also the biggest electronics and high-tech industries in s.e. Asia after China.

they have a program to make and launch satellites by 2020.

th baht is strong because unlike other currencies in the region Thailand owes little and is cash-rich.

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

That is a very shaky way of looking at both Thai history and history itself.

what do you mean by "modern country"?

Really? Why is that? Do you dispute the effect of colonialism as one of the factors in the development of the modern nation state?

I trust you aren't making the mistake of viewing colonialism within the context of trite Marxist soundbites.

19 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

there are loads of places that are affordable. But Budapest in February is not my idea of fun, and I doubt many others would trade a winter in Thailand over a winter in any Eastern European city.

Theres no hey dude lets go lay on the beach when its -20 in Przemysl

I would never holiday there in the winter, but seriously looking into the spring time. Doing a lot of research and never knew how affordable things were there, at par with Thailand for most things, even cheaper for some, and no before anyone asks me, it's a holiday not a whormongering getaway.being of Ukrainian decent, I was looking to see something different, Eastern Europe is quite beautiful, and the ladies are stunning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Do you dispute the effect of colonialism as one of the factors in the development of the modern nation state

Im well aware of the roles played by colonial powers including the influence they have gad on Thailand. It seems you are not aware though.

.....and you still havent defined what you think a modern state is.

Judging by your clicheed post, I doubt if you actually have a definition let alone a valid premise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 8:47 PM, Ron jeremy said:

I would never holiday there in the winter, but seriously looking into the spring time. Doing a lot of research and never knew how affordable things were there, at par with Thailand for most things, even cheaper for some, and no before anyone asks me, it's a holiday not a whormongering getaway.being of Ukrainian decent, I was looking to see something different, Eastern Europe is quite beautiful, and the ladies are stunning.

they are stunning if you have the money

On 8/21/2019 at 5:50 AM, EricTh said:

There are no lack of westerners even though the requirements are tougher and Baht is stronger.

Thailand does not want all the Westerners gone.  Just the penny-less ones, and those not smart enough to fill out the paperwork.....

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Thailand does not want all the Westerners gone.  Just the penny-less ones, and those not smart enough to fill out the paperwork.....

Rich westerners wouldn't want to go to poor countries where they encounter language difficulties, cultural and religious differences.

Where do you suggest penni-less westerners go then?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

I am not  immune from the pain the exchange rate has put upon us all.  But it's partly my fault too.  Back in the time of 32.5 baht to the Aussie dollar I was getting good interest on my money in Oz so saw no need to bring it here only to get 2.4 percent.  I for one didn't look at the possible future outcome if a downturn occurred.   Now years later and somewhere around half a million baht out of pocket I have  regrets.  So once the rate dropped to 22 I said no more  transfers we will live on what money I have here. We should be good for a year,  maybe longer.  In my estimate it could take a  year for economic conditions to go down hill far enough for the exchange rate to improve....here's hoping! 

23 hours ago, EricTh said:

Rich westerners wouldn't want to go to poor countries where they encounter language difficulties, cultural and religious differences.

Where do you suggest penni-less westerners go then?

I would have thought the answer was pretty obvious. Stay at home and don't be deluded you can live like royalty in some far away, exotic country.

2 Families 1 Australian 1 Brit . Total 4 Adults.6 early teens are no coming for Christmas this year. Dam it not only do i not see my Chums , but they spent big money over the years, so now the local Trades loose out, but non of You ever ask who gains.?. So Permit me to tell You..the veryThais who don’t need it.!!...Yet this fact is never spoken off for some reason.[emoji87][emoji86][emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 4:00 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Lack of farangs will not hurt Thailand, though it may hurt individual Thais that depend on farang ATMs.

Its already hurting Thai people let alone tourists and ex pats, Thai people working in other country's are having problems with the strong baht. The Cost of living is going up for the Thai people, Expensive exports, ie rice, The same rice can be bought a lot cheaper from Cambodia, along with many other products around the Thai Boarders,

• Like 1

Thailand in general is suffering from the high baht.

THe economy is export and selling their natural resources and labour - these items are getting significantly dearer now.

tourists especially from Europe are feeling the pinch - Samui has taken a big hit of late, but in the long term the demographics of tourism will make a big change.

Some western tourist/expat businesses have closed on Samui and many people are thinking "Maybe next year" I'm paid in bat dos relative to home my wages have increased about 50% over the last couple of years or so. CoL and rent have not been affected too much - a little increase in general expenses but utilities remain the same and rentals have got cheaper as people prefer to put long tremors in rather than rely on the vagaries of tourism.

5 to 20 ears ago the beachfront resort I stayed at in Chaweng was between 450 and 650 per night, now it is between 1500 and 2000 for the very same room.

so that was £6.00 per night (75baht/pound) and is now £52.00. (38baht/pound) - the value of the baht has doubled but the room is nearly 10 times more.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 5:38 PM, Airbagwill said:

Thai has the 10th largest motor industry in the world - bigger than the UK's.

They have also the biggest electronics and high-tech industries in s.e. Asia after China.

they have a program to make and launch satellites by 2020.

th baht is strong because unlike other currencies in the region Thailand owes little and is cash-rich.

Japanese

Western

Western

Disaster

• Like 1