Jump to content
BANGKOK
CangguSurfer

Is it possible to extend a Non-O "retirement" visa expiration by a couple of weeks?

Recommended Posts

There's a possibility that my Non-O retirement visa will expire before I get Ministry of Education approval paperwork for school which I will be applying for a ED Visa.  The paperwork should arrive on time BUT since I have to make an appointment several weeks before my intended application date for Vientiane Consulate, I'm afraid if the paperwork arrives late I will have to reschedule the appointment at Vientiane, and that carries a 10 day penalty to reschedule, thus I could be beyond expiration date of Non-O retirement visa by up to a couple of weeks.

 

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have an extension of stay from immigration for retirement or an actual multi entry non immigrant O-A visa (which is often called retirement)?  If you have the visa and still valid a new entry gets you a new one year stay.  If you have an extension of stay you can apply for another aqd if unable to meet conditions get a 7 day stay.  Otherwise you would need to exit and return with either a tourist visa or visa exempt stamp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Do you have an extension of stay from immigration for retirement or an actual multi entry non immigrant O-A visa (which is often called retirement)?  If you have the visa and still valid a new entry gets you a new one year stay.  If you have an extension of stay you can apply for another aqd if unable to meet conditions get a 7 day stay.  Otherwise you would need to exit and return with either a tourist visa or visa exempt stamp.  

I have an extension of stay.  I dont know what you mean by "...apply for another aqd if unable to meet conditions get a 7 day stay."

Edited by CangguSurfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CangguSurfer said:

I have an extension of stay.  I dont know what you mean by "...apply for another aqd if unable to meet conditions get a 7 day stay."

I don't either - was supposed to be "and". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

...Otherwise you would need to exit and return with either a tourist visa or visa exempt stamp. ...  

Is a visa exempt entry just a matter of flying out of Thailand (or crossing border over border) and then just coming back into Thailand as "visa-exempt" for up to 30 days?  Literally just out and then back in with no hassles?  What's the procedure; do you just get the visa-exempt stamp when you enter back into Thailand?

 

That might be my best bet if I run into a time-crunch with the new visa paperwork form the Ministry of Tourism.  30 days would give me plenty of time to get the appointment at Vientiane and make travel plans.  

 

I just don't want to try this and find out I can't get back into Thailand as visa-exempt for some reason I didn't think about.  In other words, is it fairly certain I can get visa-exempt entry if I've never done that before?

Edited by CangguSurfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I don't either - was supposed to be "and". 

What is a 7 day stay?  I mean, what kind of visa is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 7 days is provided if a visa extension is not allowed.

 

Visa exempt should be fine if you have been on an extension of stay for last year.  It can be a problem after several in same year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The 7 days is provided if a visa extension is not allowed.

 

Visa exempt should be fine if you have been on an extension of stay for last year.  It can be a problem after several in same year.

I was just reading up on this on the Thai Immigration website, and it says:

 

Holders of normal passports of the following countries (USA) are granted visa-free travel to Thailand for a period of up to 30 days. The exemption is granted at most twice in a calendar year when entering over land or via a sea border but there is no limitation when entering by air. 

 

Just out of curiosity does that really mean, you could re-enter every month as visa-exempt if you do it by air?  I was under the impression that, at most, you could only enter Thailand two times on a SETV (and assumed same would be true with visa-exempt.

 

Not planning on doing that, just curious if this is true or not.

 

So...just so I'm clear:  I just would fly out of Thailand on date before my present visa expires, then fly back and get Visa-Exempt status at the airport in Thailand where I enter?  That's all that's involved?

Edited by CangguSurfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CangguSurfer said:

So...just so I'm clear:  I just would fly out of Thailand on date before my present visa expires, then fly back and get Visa-Exempt status at the airport in Thailand where I enter?  That's all that's involved?

Yes.

 

As for doing more than 2 times by air it can be risky as have been a few recent reports of those being told to sign statements they do not have required funds for entry and put on a new flight to where they came from (local area countries) to obtain a visa or go elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes.

 

As for doing more than 2 times by air it can be risky as have been a few recent reports of those being told to sign statements they do not have required funds for entry and put on a new flight to where they came from (local area countries) to obtain a visa or go elsewhere.

I've heard those reports on Thai Visa too.  Do you think it might be prudent to have have copy of my Thai bank statement with me (and 20,000 baht in cash) just in case I run into this...or is the fact I have a Thai bank account going to raise red flags as far as coming into Thailand "strictly for the purpose of tourism" as the rules for visa-exempt entry state.

 

I'm only planning on coming in "visa-exempt this one time if necessary, but just don't want to face any crazy situation with airport Imm officers, if I can avoid it.

 

Edited by CangguSurfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should not be a problem if you have been here on a one year extension of stay - but do have the money available.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CangguSurfer said:

What is a 7 day stay?  I mean, what kind of visa is that?

Immigration will give someone 7 days to leave the country if an extension application is denied.

 

So you apply for an extension knowing it will be denied to get an extra 7 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CangguSurfer said:

The paperwork should arrive on time BUT since I have to make an appointment several weeks before my intended application date for Vientiane Consulate

You have heard or read old out of date info. You can get appointments for a non immigrant visa application as little as a week in advance now.

I suggest you register and check the availability of appointments now at. https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

Just checked and there are 4 appointments available on Wednesday (72 for Friday and  62 for next Tuesday).

image.png.5141e4f2b0a0b646d9703943dcd24788.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You have heard or read old out of date info. You can get appointments for a non immigrant visa application as little as a week in advance now.

I suggest you register and check the availability of appointments now at. https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

Just checked and there are 4 appointments available on Wednesday (72 for Friday and  62 for next Tuesday).

image.png.5141e4f2b0a0b646d9703943dcd24788.png

 

Hi @ubonjoe.  Thanks for your reply!  Yes, I just noticed that.  The thing is, the school director informed me that the letter from Board of Ministry that I need to apply for ED Visa might not come until just a few days before my current Visa's expiry, or even after that date.  So, I just want a backup plan to avoid an overstay on my current visa.

 

What I was thinking was to schedule the appointment and book a flight to Udon Thani for the date my current visa expires, and if I get the letter in time, I'm OK.

 

If the letter doesn't come, then I'd just take the flight to Udon Thani, cross the bridge, turn around and come back into Thailand with a Visa Exempt stamp.  That would give me 30 days to reschedule the ED Visa appointment.

 

Does that sound like a workable plan?  Is there some risk that I might be denied VEE by just turning around and coming back in, or because my passport contains two long-term visas (METV and Non-O Retirement)?  I'll have bank statement, 20k baht in cash, letter from school stating I'm currently applying for ED Visa, etc. 

 

Just don't want to have hassles trying to get back in to Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, elviajero said:

Immigration will give someone 7 days to leave the country if an extension application is denied.

 

So you apply for an extension knowing it will be denied to get an extra 7 days. 

Ohhh!  You mean I could do that at a local Imm office without having to leave the country?  Would I possibly be penalized for doing that, if 7 days later, I applied for a visa outside of Thailand?'

 

You guys are really giving me a crash course in the finer point of Thai Immigration...and I truly appreciate it!

 

Edited by CangguSurfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...