Visa exemption limits

Hi I'm wondering something about visa exemption limits and tourist visit. I did search the forum but couldn't find anything, so maybe someone can help?

The embassy in the UK seems to state a limit of 3 visa exemptions per 6 month period.

"Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6-month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing." http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

I have two of visa exemption stamps from april/early may when I visited Thailand and Cambodia. Quite a few previous visits to Thailand using exemptions, no overstays, very lengthy stays, visa runs etc. Just standard tourist stuff/visiting friends. I'm going back soon in Sept, and hoped to combine it with a trip to Vietnam. Returning to Thailand before I go home is going to put me over the 3 times though I guess.

Not sure whats best to do? get a SE tourist visa for the first part of the trip then the 30 day exemption when returning maybe? . I don't want to get denied entry coming back from Vietnam as my return flight will be from BKK.

Just a bit extra hassle with the online visa system I guess. Thanks for any ideas.

The info on the UK embassy website is not correct

2 visa exempts per calendar year at land border crossings

No written limit if you enter at airports, but if an IO is in a bad mood he might deny you because "you spent too much time in thailand"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

No written limit if you enter at airports, but if an IO is in a bad mood he might deny you because "you spent too much time in thailand"

I live here on extensions. Why would I go through all the BS if I could live in Thailand visa exempt. Especially as i leave reenter every few weeks. What's with constant reference to io bad mood. Get correct visa.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Oh ok, so the site isn't correct in that limit, how confusing, but thanks.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, What exactly is your plan re Vietnam. Then return on what?

I was hoping to do similar to what I did in the spring. I went about 2 weeks to Thailand, then a week in Cambodia, returned to Thailand for a week before flying home (My return flight was to and from BKK). I just used the UK visa exemption coming in and received the same no problems when I flew back from Cambodia to BKK.

Ideally I'd do the same, just going to Hanoi this time rather than Cambodia. 

The limit on VE entries by land is 2 per calendar year.

There is no written rule on VE entries by air, but entry is at the discretion of the IO and if he feels your not a genuine Tourist and spending to much time in Thailand, they can refuse entry.

Make sure you carry the equivalent of 10,000 BHT when entering by VE.

Edited by Tanoshi

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I live here on extensions. Why would I go through all the BS if I could live in Thailand visa exempt. Especially as i leave reenter every few weeks. What's with constant reference to io bad mood. Get correct visa.

The law/ministerial order regarding visa exempts does specifically say that you are entitled to get a visa exempt "many times". Why don't you use visa exempts if you leave every few weeks anway? Afraid that an IO is in a bad mood and will deny you for an arbitrary reason?

Edited by jackdd

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The law/ministerial order regarding visa exempts does specifically say that you are entitled to get a visa exempt "many times". Why don't you use visa exempts if you leave every few weeks anway? Afraid that an IO is in a bad mood and will deny you for an arbitrary reason?

Good question. I only came to los 7 yrs back. First time. My pattern of travel same now as back then. I think first couple of years just used VE entries at airports. Zero problems. Later I decided to get triple entry TV at Saigon. All good. Next time I went to do same the consulate lady said...."you live Thailand why you no have retirement visa (being 54 at the time) ....

Point is the screws have been turned and more to come. There currently topic on TVF re clamp down visa runners starting Aug 12.

Ongoing staying in los without appropriate visa is skating on thin and thinner ice.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Just to add re visa exempt entries by air. Right now sitting in Saigon. Have been trying to help out fella here in Saigon. He has long history living in los. 2 yrs non o b. Then last several months on setv and ve border entries. So came to Saigon to obtain setv. PP returned with visa and void stamp. So how to get back los. Used the 2 visa exempt at border already. If fly to say DM almost 100% denied entry. So no one should ever state ve at airports unlimited. Even though there is no law that states there is a limit. Think he is looking for less strict airport.