Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

In recent months, I've heard at least a couple of times that new work permits are no longer issued to teachers 60+ years. But I haven't found this information on official and other relevant websites. Can anyone here please verify if this age limit is true or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Absolutely incorrect. I personally know a number of people employed and on work permits. A few others in the past five years. A school might very well inform you of this because they think this to be true, they don't wish to pay additional insurance fees or you've proven to lack the energy or students find your lessons less than inspiring. I've known two teachers let go post 60 years. One I was surprised as he was one of the best teachers we had. Let go due to age, reached 62. It's not unusual they will keep you on until say 65. Some say it's difficult to get hired after 60. I'd not dispute this but also thing there's work for those that want it. I doubt I'd have any problem finding a 40k a month teaching job in Bangkok at 62 personally. Seriously doubt I'd ever work for that money, but think it quite possible.

Edited by Number 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The law doesn't state a maximum age, thus refusal based on age would be against the law.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got Howie a WP permit at 79 years young.  Including medical insurance, but I don't know what his exclusions were. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe at State Universities, maybe any public funded place, max age to teach 60 yrs. At private schools, older OK up till...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chingmai331 said:

I believe at State Universities, maybe any public funded place, max age to teach 60 yrs. At private schools, older OK up till...?

For government univerisities / colleges, they can still employ foreign teachers over 60 years old. The 60 year limit applies to Thai civic servants. My wife's college, has, in the past, employed foreigners over 60 years old. Private schools can, and do, this - 65, 70 years old, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, DavisH said:

For government univerisities / colleges, they can still employ foreign teachers over 60 years old. The 60 year limit applies to Thai civic servants. My wife's college, has, in the past, employed foreigners over 60 years old. Private schools can, and do, this - 65, 70 years old, etc.

I have a thai friend who teaches at Khon Kaen university he is 76, guess he got the exception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, DavisH said:

For government univerisities / colleges, they can still employ foreign teachers over 60 years old. The 60 year limit applies to Thai civic servants. My wife's college, has, in the past, employed foreigners over 60 years old. Private schools can, and do, this - 65, 70 years old, etc.

Civil servants retire at the age of 60, although there are plans to up the age. But after a civil servant retires it is not uncommon that they continue teaching. Only not any longer as a civil servant and they do take a pay cut, but probably will have their pension money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, RBOP said:

We got Howie a WP permit at 79 years young.  Including medical insurance, but I don't know what his exclusions were. 

Any chance of the name of the Insurance Company? I would like to make contact with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Preacher said:

Civil servants retire at the age of 60, although there are plans to up the age. But after a civil servant retires it is not uncommon that they continue teaching. Only not any longer as a civil servant and they do take a pay cut, but probably will have their pension money. 

Many of them go on to become directors or staff in private institutions - and get to keep their salary in full. My wife retires in a few years but plans on working part time to keep some flexibility. She will be working; won't have her slouching around on the sofa all day watching the soaps, or out shopping 555. I heard about the retirement age behing changed, but nothing is certain yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MAGA 2020 said:

I have a thai friend who teaches at Khon Kaen university he is 76, guess he got the exception.

Not as a civil servant though. He may have changed his job description and position. This would be very unusual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...