Applying for Non-Immigrant OA Visa from Australia - requirements confusion & concerns

4 hours ago, Olmate said:

Hi DrJ, have you any recent experience with online police check? ..I found the state police check took about 1 month and was required rather than online one.Its really the reason I don,t back to do due to the time factor waiting.Thanks

It's inside a week; you apply to the Feds online, pay online and they mail it out to you

• Like 2

There is post in this thread about one being issued in Hobart. I doubt that very much. Years ago Brisbane did them now no. Think Perth once upon a time did em. Now Canberra and Sydney ONLY. Think Sydney is done in person, Canberra can be done via mail

Edited by DrJack54

I do my O/A in Brisbane every 18 / 24 months , and your concern over notarising documents costing an arm and a leg, I don,t think so. If you google document notarising lawyers , you will find many that only do document authentication ,I found one in east Brisbane  charges about $100 , in February this year, exactly the same amount of documents you have . Your other point is true, a J.P can only witness a true document, hence the problem if you get a computer print out of your medical review, your bank statement and others , I had the same problem some years ago, the J.P refused to authenticate these documents and suggested i see a notary public .

• 1 month later...

Update:  I received my multiple entry O-A (retirement) visa.  Visa processing staff at Thai Embassy in Canberra were very helpful.  They said to use a JP, and that a notary was not necessary and expensive.  Took about a week to get my passport sent back in the mail.  

I used computer printouts of bank statements - which is how my online bank issues statements and how I can get the most recent balances - otherwise I need to put in a request and expect to wait a few weeks to get it back.  The Embassy staff said that was fine to use printouts.  The JP at the shopping mall used a different stamp that they were witnessing a computer printout copy.   JP service was free.  

The point is, that in Australia you are agreeing in the application to allow the ACT Thai Embassy to contact the institutions issuing those documents to verify the information.  Which is possibly why the requirements are not as strict (despite the application instructions specifying documents to be notarised and bound).  

Edited by aussienam