Voa or setv

Having read how difficult it appears to get an online setv from the uk ( for someone not tech savvy)

I plan on coming to Thailand for about 55 days with my Thai wife

Would it be ok to enter on a voa or would immigration or the airline question me as my return flight would be past the visa expiry date

I would obviously get a 30 day extension to the voa

is this allowed?

They might want to see your return ticket dated with return within 30 days. That´s easy, just buy a cheap ticket with possibility to cancel to a nearby country and book your real return during your first 30 days in Thailand.

The best is always to have a real visa sticker in your passport, but if you have no prior and regular visits that can be considered to many in past 12 month you should be okey with an exempt visa whish would give you 30 days with possible extension of another 30 days.

VOA stands for Visa On Arrival. If you are a UK citizen that is not for you.

You can obtain a Tourist Visa from any of the Thai Consulates without going through the online E-Visa application process, which currently only applies to the Thai Embassy in London.

UK citizens can enter on the 30 day Visa exempt scheme (not VOA).

The airline will probably want to see a return ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

Make sure you carry the equivalent of 10,000 BHT for a VE entry, or 20,000 BHT for a TV entry.

Rarely requested, but you'll be refused entry if questioned and you can't show it.

You can extend both the VE or TV entry by 60 days when married to a Thai.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Los Luver said:

A bus ticket 600/700 Baht to Cambodia or....would do the work. Need only simple that shows you'll leave Thailand on your 30th day....

I doubt very much an airline would accept that for proof of having a ticket out of the country within 30 days that is required for a visa exempt entry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Los Luver said:

A bus ticket 600/700 Baht to Cambodia or....would do the work. Need only simple that shows you'll leave Thailand on your 30th day....

A bus ticket will not satisfy airline if flying without visa. BTW a bus ticket will not satisfy requirement for setv application if consulate requires onward travel.

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You can extend both the VE or TV entry by 60 days when married to a Thai.

Really!!  I've never been able to get more than a 30 day extension on the VE or TE. USA passport, dressed nice, handsome man, Pathum Thani immigration, Caucasian.

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Probably because you did not apply for one. And had the supporting documents for it and have your wife with you.

Thanks for all the replies 

I may have no option but to try the online visa 

it’s funny because tat have launched a massive campaign in the uk but then they bring in a crazy new evisa system 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I doubt very much an airline would accept that for proof of having a ticket out of the country within 30 days that is required for a visa exempt entry.

In January 2017, I had a flight ticket (Stockholm-BKK) for 39 days. When I wanted to check in, I faced a problem. I was told since I didn't have a visa, I needed to have a ticket showing that I'd leave after 30 days. One of the staff who denied me checking in said: any ticket to any country. I bought a buss ticket BKK-Siem Riep, right away. I showed the ticket and checked in. Well, I lost that small money as I couldn't return it......It worked with a bus ticket

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

A bus ticket will not satisfy airline if flying without visa. BTW a bus ticket will not satisfy requirement for setv application if consulate requires onward travel.

Most airlines will not accept the bus ticket. More commonly, they will accept the return flight within 60 days (based on your explanation of intending to extend) though not always then. Consulates vary in whether they will accept a bus ticket as proof of onward travel when applying for visas. More often than not they do.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

In January 2017, I had a flight ticket (Stockholm-BKK) for 39 days. When I wanted to check in, I faced a problem. I was told since I didn't have a visa, I needed to have a ticket showing that I'd leave after 30 days. One of the staff who denied me checking in said: any ticket to any country. I bought a buss ticket BKK-Siem Riep, right away. I showed the ticket and checked in. Well, I lost that small money as I couldn't return it......It worked with a bus ticket

You were lucky.

It's about time Thailand laid down some fundamental guides for Tourists as most other Countries do.

Something like 3 months in a 6 month period, for VE or SETV's, or 6 months in a 12 month period for METV's.

Edited by Tanoshi

Only the once did I come very close to coming unstuck without a visa at Gatwick on Emirates in 2004 using the return portion of a BKK LGW BKK ticket so at that point effectively one way with no SETV

It took every ounce of my politeness and constant smiling (fortunately I was dressed smart as always) and it took me to the point of asking to speak to Head of Station at Emirates at LGW before he let me on

I genuinely think 99% wouldnt have got on that day and only my polite insistence saved the day. I had to sign indemnity of course over any refusal at BKK

Attempt to fly without a SETV at your peril when you indeed should have one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A cheap airline ticket out will do the job. It satisfies the airline you’re leaving GB with, and any questions entering Thailand tho I’ve never been asked for it, once the IO has said “ no visa” ? And I’ve shown my ticket out which they don’t even look at. You can use the ticket or not. If not, I get my extension 30 days . 

Depending where you live in GB, you can get a visa in a few hours at Cardiff , you have to make an appointment before hand. Only SETV I think. 

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Most airlines will not accept the bus ticket. More commonly, they will accept the return flight within 60 days (based on your explanation of intending to extend) though not always then. Consulates vary in whether they will accept a bus ticket as proof of onward travel when applying for visas. More often than not they do.

It does seem strange that even though I have a Thai wife I cannot explain to the airline or immigration that i would get an extension up until my departure.Why would I want to be fined for a 25 day overstay?

Have to try and work out how to upload a jpg and scan my passport then

3 hours ago, CelticTam said:

As you are married to a Thai, it seems to me that the easiest option is  to obtain a single entry Non-O visa based on marriage Allows you 90 day stay.

I know but having read the complicated process for an e visa I was looking for an alternative 

3 hours ago, CelticTam said:

As you are married to a Thai, it seems to me that the easiest option is  to obtain a single entry Non-O visa based on marriage Allows you 90 day stay.

3 hours ago, geisha said:

A cheap airline ticket out will do the job. It satisfies the airline you’re leaving GB with, and any questions entering Thailand tho I’ve never been asked for it, once the IO has said “ no visa” ? And I’ve shown my ticket out which they don’t even look at. You can use the ticket or not. If not, I get my extension 30 days . 

Depending where you live in GB, you can get a visa in a few hours at Cardiff , you have to make an appointment before hand. Only SETV I think. 

If I struggle with the e visa on line it might be worth driving to Cardiff for a day out

1 hour ago, ian carman said:

If I struggle with the e visa on line it might be worth driving to Cardiff for a day out

There are several consulates. Take a look to see which is the most convenient. With prior arrangement via email, they will usually all provide an SETV while you wait.

• Thanks 1