Body of adult male dugong washes ashore in Krabi

webfact

Body of adult male dugong washes ashore in Krabi

By Sitthichai Sikhawat
The Nation

800_2fa164f551079e2.jpeg?v=1566132810

A 240-kilogram, 2.6-metre-long carcass of an adult male dugong was found at Rai Lay Bay in Krabi’s Muang district on Sunday afternoon, according to Hat Noppharat Thara–Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park head Worapot Limlom.

The dugong, thought to be 25 years old, was swept ashore at Ton Sai Beach in tambon Ao Nang around noon, prompting villagers to alert the park officials.

The animal had bruising on its left fin and officials suspect it had died not long before the carcass was discovered. Park officials later contacted the Phuket Marine Biological Center to collect the carcass for autopsy to determine the cause of death, he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374942

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-19

I think I read Thailand was the fifth biggest polluter of the sea,not bad for a country with a population of 60 million.i don't think Thai are really bothered about pollution unless it hits them where it hurts otherwise it's carry on as normal.

this poor animal probably died with a gut full of plastic bags with 7/11 printed on them.when I go to the shop and refuse a bag and pull out my own one they look at me like I've just done some magical trick.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:06 AM, hotchilli said:

Becoming a regular occurrence !

Strange how frequently death claims victims, isn't it?  Nothing is immortal.

Perhaps it's the one that attacked and was partly responsible for the death of the adopted orphan dugong last week.  Maritime karma.

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Considering it had injuries, it's just as likely that it probably didn't die your way .

The injuries could of happened as or after it died but it's now being reported a stingray killed it.so for once one of these creatures hasn't died with a gut full of plastic which seems to be the most common way they are killed.

16 hours ago, happy chappie said:

The injuries could of happened as or after it died but it's now being reported a stingray killed it.so for once one of these creatures hasn't died with a gut full of plastic which seems to be the most common way they are killed.

The common way, really?  How many dugongs, categorically, have been reported to have been killed by plastic ingestion confirmed after autopsy, say, this year? One, maybe?

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The common way, really?  How many dugongs, categorically, have been reported to have been killed by plastic ingestion confirmed after autopsy, say, this year? One, maybe?

Yes there was one last week.so 50% and I would say it's quite common.in fact I would say it is quite rare for one to die from a sting ray.are you in some sort of denial that the seas are polluted with plastic that kills many type of species.

22 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Yes there was one last week.so 50% and I would say it's quite common.in fact I would say it is quite rare for one to die from a sting ray.are you in some sort of denial that the seas are polluted with plastic that kills many type of species.

So that is only one that died that you can refer to and that is 50% only of the numbers that you're aware of, so not necessarily so common!  If there had not been the previous report would you have taken that as evidence that 100% died that way, i.e. one out of one?   If you think that no other sea creatures have died apart from the ones that the media reports on you're being very naïve and that will have an effect on your percentages.

If you're referring to the young one that was being cared for that died very recently, that one was not killed by plastic ingestion, it died of an infection and shock following an attack by an adult male dugong and, according to the autopsy report, although it did have some plastic in it's gut, the plastic didn't kill it. 

I am not in denial about anything, I was simply pointing out that what you claim was very common, may not be as common as you like to think.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

So that is only one that died that you can refer to and that is 50% only of the numbers that you're aware of, so not necessarily so common!  If there had not been the previous report would you have taken that as evidence that 100% died that way, i.e. one out of one?   If you think that no other sea creatures have died apart from the ones that the media reports on you're being very naïve and that will have an effect on your percentages.

If you're referring to the young one that was being cared for that died very recently, that one was not killed by plastic ingestion, it died of an infection and shock following an attack by an adult male dugong and, according to the autopsy report, although it did have some plastic in it's gut, the plastic didn't kill it. 

I am not in denial about anything, I was simply pointing out that what you claim was very common, may not be as common as you like to think.

So an adult male killed the infant before the plastic would have.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:29 AM, Just Weird said:

And reported today the baby dugong has died of intestinal blockage.the vet wouldn't actually say what caused the blockage so it quite obvious that he's been hushed up.so that's 2 die from plastic 1 from stingray.i doubt if we will hear of any more cases of deaths from plastic as it's not good for the image of Thailand and tourism.

22 hours ago, happy chappie said:

And reported today the baby dugong has died of intestinal blockage.the vet wouldn't actually say what caused the blockage so it quite obvious that he's been hushed up.so that's 2 die from plastic 1 from stingray.i doubt if we will hear of any more cases of deaths from plastic as it's not good for the image of Thailand and tourism.

"...the vet wouldn't actually say what caused the blockage so it quite obvious that he's been hushed up".

It appears to "be obvious" only to you, the blockage was sea grass, the animal's food.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:37 AM, Just Weird said:

"...the vet wouldn't actually say what caused the blockage so it quite obvious that he's been hushed up".

It appears to "be obvious" only to you, the blockage was sea grass, the animal's food.

I wish you would get something right.how the deleted do you get through life.

IMG_2970.PNG

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

That was DiCaprio's inaccurate version of the cause of death, what you need to read is the actual autopsy report, then come back.

Here we go again.it was reported there was a blockage that caused a build up of sea grass in the animals gut.you just can't man up to the facts.did di caprio just dream up the animals cause of death or was he informed.i suggest you get real and face the facts that the seas are polluted and Thailand is in the top 5 of sea polluting countries in the world.each time an animal such as a dugong or dolphin are washed up on a beach the likelihood of it being killed by plastic are very high or common.

23 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Here we go again.it was reported there was a blockage that caused a build up of sea grass in the animals gut.you just can't man up to the facts.did di caprio just dream up the animals cause of death or was he informed.i suggest you get real and face the facts that the seas are polluted and Thailand is in the top 5 of sea polluting countries in the world.each time an animal such as a dugong or dolphin are washed up on a beach the likelihood of it being killed by plastic are very high or common.

DiCaprio's quote suggested that the sole cause of death was plastic ingestion, that was incorrect.

Archived