Calls for stricter control or a ban on use of single-use plastic bags

webfact

Calls for stricter control or a ban on use of single-use plastic bags

104339.jpg

The death of baby dugong Mariam, which is being blamed on plastic found blocking her digestive system, has renewed calls for stricter control, or a complete ban on the use of single-use plastic bags.

Well known marine scientist, and vice dean of the Faculty of Fisheries of Kasetsart University, Dr. Thon Thamrongnawasawat, told Thai PBS on Saturday that the recent campaign to reduce the use of plastic bags, which has cut their use by 100 million out of a total of 45 billion, was not enough.

He suggested that single-use plastic bags should be banned, beginning next year, as was done in New Zealand, or a fee should be imposed for their use.  He also said that the plan to reduce the use of plastic straws, due to begin in the next three years, should be brought forward to next year.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/calls-for-stricter-control-or-a-ban-on-use-of-single-use-plastic-bags/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-08-19

This issue is huge and to end this single plastic abuse means a change in habits and life style for ALL thais at every meal..street vendors are the cause......it sounds silly and petty but take a minute someday and watch a food cart at lunch time it is criminal,also the take away food which is a huge contributer to this problem,it has little to do with Heavier bigger plastic bags ,as,we often reuse them for our own garbage at home.....this will be ''mission impossible '' for Thailand...

Thai society has a long way to go, but let's at least acknowledge the recent steps made.

It wasn't so long ago that I was 'that weird farang' who doesn't want to double bag for 3-4 bottles of beer. And now I no longer feel like an two-headed alien when I tell them I don't want or need a bag, straw and spoon.

Some franchised supermarkets have no-bag days and even the 'hi-so gang' appear to accept this.

It's a step in the right direction, which is admirable in what is often a retarded place.

Remedy is simple ..2 bht per bag..it will stop overnight..guaranteed.. unless it’s an influential person that supplies the bags of course ! Then that’s no gonna happen,    Few quid made there no doubt... but never enough!

i seen a guy put a packet of cigs in a tiny good for nothing  plastic bag and another bag for his new SIM card cardboard  the other day .... then went outside the 7 and put the bags s. In the bin ..really!! 

50% of the plastic in our oceans comes from fishing nets and associated fishing equipment such as buoys, polystyrene, and empty oil canisters etc.  So while getting rid of singles use plastics such as straws and cups and other micro-consumer products is admirable, it doesn't address the larger problems.

Expand the 4th of the month program to the 14th and 24th. Then expand on to the 5th, 15th, 25th.

Offer free (or donation or deposit for street-based recyclers), subsidized (with logos of advertisers, but not beer or ciggies of course) re-usable shopping bags manufactured from recycled materials.

Thais have some way to go to get into the swing of no plastic bags. Last no bag day in tops the lines were held up- they were putting those red PAID stickers on everything people bought. That was not enough security so the cashier was signing every label, or at least scribbling on them with a biro, crazy. I had my own tops reusable bag but they still did it.

Well, apart from charging for single use bags, which probably isn't gonna happen (even though it makes commercial sense, e.g. Makro), I suggest compulsory graphic warning images on all free single use plastic bags, as with cigarette packs; or, as an alternative to wasting money on funding plastic free days, which merely act as "feel good" advertising for the companies involved, activists, and others who are really concerned about the problem, could fund a disingenuous "kill a dugong day" ad campaign- a day where single plastic bag use is encouraged, maybe then the message will get through.

Koh Samed has banned plastic on the island backed up by signs both on the island and the mainland.  This includes 3 x 7/11's on the island.  People have said that 7/11's will never stop the issue of plastic bags.  

It's working on the island and is proof that life can go on without the need for plastic bags.

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

They have to charge for bags, that is the only way things will change permanently

Only if the price is 200 baht per bag. One baht, 2 baht - 5, 10, per bag, sorry but that won't work as many would be happy to pay that. Total ban as in New Zealand is the only way - I was there for the start of it, and it was amazing to see how quickly people complied without complaining. Big, tough tattooed bikies meekly walking into supermarkets with their little pink reusable shopping bags - lol.

10 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Only if the price is 200 baht per bag. One baht, 2 baht - 5, 10, per bag, sorry but that won't work as many would be happy to pay that. Total ban as in New Zealand is the only way - I was there for the start of it, and it was amazing to see how quickly people complied without complaining. Big, tough tattooed bikies meekly walking into supermarkets with their little pink reusable shopping bags - lol.

I dont plan on stopping using plastic bags ever...I will not be changing....

2 hours ago, Katipo said:

50% of the plastic in our oceans comes from fishing nets and associated fishing equipment such as buoys, polystyrene, and empty oil canisters etc.  So while getting rid of singles use plastics such as straws and cups and other micro-consumer products is admirable, it doesn't address the larger problems.

and cruse/cargo ships that dump large quantities of waste at sea, despite their protestations that they do not. 

Using cloth shopping bags vs. plastic.  Borrowing the Thai Immigration meme at recent TM30 Town Halls....... "it's not that hard".  ????

I'm no tree hugger but the idea of not being so cavalier and wasteful, appeals to me.  Cloth shopping bags are low hanging fruit.  Takes a bit of thought and effort, and having a supply of them in strategic locations, but after a while, if you allow it, it'll become a new normal and no bother at all, really.  True, it's a drop in the bucket compared to bigger sources of waste, but don't use that as a convenient excuse to be cynical, cavalier and stubborn.  

We just done 2 months in the US, Krazy Kalifornia at that, so cloth shopping bags are a firm habit now.  Previously in LoS, while we made a good effort, we would often forget them in the car, and go with the plastics and say, "OK, next time...."   Did that in the US a few times the first week, then decided to not let myself off the hook - walked my lazy, forgetful a** out to the car for the cloth bags, and it stuck.

Back in LOS now, parked up at the Mall to have lunch then hit the supermarket.

Locked the car and did the mental checklist:

Wallet  

Phone

Reading glasses  

Cloth shopping bags

Now this is were the govt could make a huge change,give out 2 calico bags to people,and tell the big retailers to move to strong paper bags or offer a calico,cloth bag for 5 baht,resubale,i think a lot of Thai people would go for it,as enviromental awareness has risen in the 7 years i have been here

7/11 is already keeping 25 satang in a fund for everyone saying " mai ao tuung". The problem however is, that most 7/11 employees don`t ask actively. My gf and I always have a plastic bag in car/handbag which is totally enough for a few items, when having a day trip. 

Wouldn`t mind 5baht/bag, as the locals won`t bother about 1/2baht. But guess it won`t happen.

8 hours ago, mok199 said:

This issue is huge and to end this single plastic abuse means a change in habits and life style for ALL thais at every meal..street vendors are the cause......it sounds silly and petty but take a minute someday and watch a food cart at lunch time it is criminal,also the take away food which is a huge contributer to this problem,it has little to do with Heavier bigger plastic bags ,as,we often reuse them for our own garbage at home.....this will be ''mission impossible '' for Thailand...

And the large heavier plastic bags going to all the land fills do not harm the environment?

I was really happy to see my local villa market giving there biodegradable bags out again. It was such a pain to have 100 loose items on a motorbike.

The problem is not the plastic bags. Its the users throwing them in the sea. Like all thai fisherman. These guys are devils.

Stop them and we wont have any more poor sea creatures messin with plastic. 

6 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Mai sai toong. 

I say it as I greet the cashier. I again repeat it as she/he reaches for a plastic bag. I again repeat it as she/he places the first item in the plastic bag. They then repeat it back and take the item out of the plastic bag and into my reusable bag. I pay, thank them and leave. I repeat the process the next day. Life.

Archived