BANGKOK
webfact

Calls for stricter control or a ban on use of single-use plastic bags

So no more garbage bags??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Unfortunately there is only talk, serious prohibitions will not be there after the plastic lobby has made a succulent offer!

• Like 2

50% of the plastic in our oceans comes from fishing nets and associated fishing equipment such as buoys, polystyrene, and empty oil canisters etc.  So while getting rid of singles use plastics such as straws and cups and other micro-consumer products is admirable, it doesn't address the larger problems.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Expand the 4th of the month program to the 14th and 24th. Then expand on to the 5th, 15th, 25th.

Offer free (or donation or deposit for street-based recyclers), subsidized (with logos of advertisers, but not beer or ciggies of course) re-usable shopping bags manufactured from recycled materials.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thais have some way to go to get into the swing of no plastic bags. Last no bag day in tops the lines were held up- they were putting those red PAID stickers on everything people bought. That was not enough security so the cashier was signing every label, or at least scribbling on them with a biro, crazy. I had my own tops reusable bag but they still did it.

Edited by Orton Rd

Well, apart from charging for single use bags, which probably isn't gonna happen (even though it makes commercial sense, e.g. Makro), I suggest compulsory graphic warning images on all free single use plastic bags, as with cigarette packs; or, as an alternative to wasting money on funding plastic free days, which merely act as "feel good" advertising for the companies involved, activists, and others who are really concerned about the problem, could fund a disingenuous "kill a dugong day" ad campaign- a day where single plastic bag use is encouraged, maybe then the message will get through.

• Thanks 1