PM Prayut wants armed forces support for government

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

PM wants armed forces support for government

Says the retired army general who ad libbed his oath of office as PM and thus far refuses to correct his oath.

I bet when he took his oath as a commissioned army officer that he didn't ad lib that.

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

They take orders from nobody.

I disagree.

I believe that the military shares its plateau of power that can override the People's Constitution at will.

The true authority of the Thai military operates with concurrence of certain "influential people."

The military armed forces are only there to protect Thailand from external threats, and not to be involved in any form of politics.

Assisting in times of national disasters, flooding, storm damage, yes, but not doing work for the politicians to protect them from opposition threats, when their positions become untenable.

27 minutes ago, malibukid said:

what is it about Asia that they favor militaristic governments. i guess the same could be said about Latin America.  why hasn't democracy taken a foot hold here?

You are so wrong. Over the years more Asian countries are moving away from authoritarian to a more democratic form of governments. Thailand is an exception. 

https://www.ndi.org/asia

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Watch they don't turn on you, and try to overthrow you, giving you a taste of your own medicine !

That very discussion came up yesterday. Historically speaking, LOS is overdue for its next coup.

19 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You are so wrong. Over the years more Asian countries are moving away from authoritarian to a more democratic form of governments. Thailand is an exception. 

https://www.ndi.org/asia

Did you read your own link? It's for the whole of Asia. It doesn't mention one SE Asian country that has a truly democratic government.

1 hour ago, quandow said:

That very discussion came up yesterday. Historically speaking, LOS is overdue for its next coup.

I'm really surprised that it's been this long, that nobody's rolled him already. 

Archived